My Cobalt needed more storage

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by popsurfin, Mar 19, 2010.

1. popsurfin

popsurfin [VA] [USA]

Did this mod prior to a big trip where I needed some additional storage. I thought about doing a platform across the tongue but decided on the box instead. Here's what I picked up. It's an aluminum box from Harbor Freight tools.

[​IMG]

One cross brace was removed and cut into "L"s to be used as mounting points where I bolted it through.

[​IMG]

Big hole for the regulator. The propane and battery are inside with plenty of room to spare. I mostly store tools and tarps, straps and whatnot in it.

[​IMG]

You can't get into it when the bunks are out so plan accordingly.

[​IMG]

Had to knock off the support points, so the poles are now wedged into the brace by the chains.
    [​IMG]

The tongue jack doesn't snap all the way down, so I have to secure it with a strap, and until I fabricate an extension I crank it like this...D(flip), D(flip), D(flip) [:D]
    But it's been a most useful addition to the pup.

[​IMG]

2. He Ruide

He Ruide New Member

Popsurfin,

Very nice mod and thanks for sharing. Although you don't live in the Southern US, I'm still glad you went with the black tool box. Fleetwood/Coleman has had to replace some roofs because the reflection off the aluminum boxes deforms the Styrofoam at the edge of the roof. They said they were going to advise dealers of the issue.

I have the same problem you have in that we can't get into the tool box with the bunk end out. In hind sight I wish I had installed a tool box that opens to the front.

One concern... Fleetwood/Coleman recommends that we don't cover our PUPs with a tarp. If you don't want to invest in a breathable cover you might want to add some 2 by 4s to facilitate air circulation and water evaporation from under the tarp.

Hope this helps.

Ruide

3. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Nice Mod! I too have a Cobalt, but decided to go with 2 propane tanks, for more heat when boondocking. Usually I stuff everything else in the pickup bed, or leave it at home...
    Mr

4. popsurfin

popsurfin [VA] [USA]

He Ruide, I just liked the color match. [;)]

Mosby, It has more than enough space for two tanks. In fact, I have a spare tank in there right now. Btw, what are you using for heat?