My Coleman Roadside X-Cursion wont work with the quick connect propane port on my camper.

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by nhcaveman, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Is it the big camp chef or the Everest style smaller ones? The big ones are low pressure and will work with the quick connect. I bought a hose from camp chef to run my weekender, works fine.

If I have an extended stay trip with lots of cooking I'll have 2 things plugged into the quick connect, stuff on the 5 lb tank plus a tee on the camper tanks with 2 hoses to run other stuff.

2. TurboWagen

TurboWagen New Member

It's an Everest. Reading between the lines on Camp Chef's site, it seems the Everest is a high pressure stove.

I'm a bit disappointed since I bought a low pressure quick release hose that adapts to connect to the 1-lb input. While I got some gas to flow to the Everest, it wasn't enough to even keep the stove lit. I still wonder if a no-regulator connection to the Everest would allow the stove to be usable.

I'll either just bring an extra 20 pound tank or get a 5-pounder for next season. That or find a better (maybe bigger?) stove that can handle low pressure.

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The 1" connector on the stove is another regulator, so you were attempting to run from low pressure regulation to high pressure regulation. You don't have enough pressure to get past the stove regulator.

The adaptor I linked, along with an RV quick connect hose, replaces the high pressure stove regulator, so it might work. It may not have enough gas to get full flame on the Everest but I spent the $8 for the adaptor to find out for sure, I've already got the hose. The Everest is a high pressure stove but not a cylinder pressure stove, you need to use an appropriate regulator. I've been using a tee that fits between the camper cylinder and regulator with a 6' hose that with 1" connections on both ends. Some people use a splitter and appropriate hose to do the same thing.

Many of the larger Camp Chef stoves are low pressure. The Weekender is a suitcase style low pressure stove but it's larger and heavier than the Everest.

I really like the flame control on the Everest so I'll continue using it with the tee if it doesn't work with the adaptor.

4. 2000skamperSPORTm17A

2000skamperSPORTm17A New Member Silver Supporting Member

You give me good things to ponder; thanks. Perhaps I should have added that I only connect/use the 10ft hose when using this (auxiliary) grill. Please expand on the last half of the sentence; re: application to Dept. of Transportation.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

DOT does not apply to ME, DOT regulates things in commerce so the warning you have seen suggests that refilled containers can not be transported in commerce. Risks abound like camping under trees!

Anyone with qualms about an activity should not do it. I gave up using small containers as much as possible, I had a supply of used partial filled containers from others, they would have been thrown out partial full. It can be costly to dispose of when classified as hazardous waste.

One thing I've considered is that small containers of propane are sold indoors while empty larger containers that are used and empty are not allowed indoors (retailer warning on door). Refilled containers are sold/stored outdoors. Are empty refillable 20# containers so dangerous?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think the diffrance in the 20 lb and the small bottles are the weight and necks of the 20 lb bottles. If dropped they can break. And if they do they will displace oxygen and make about 5400 gallons of explosive gas. Tbh, for me having the little ones inside are scarry. But i deal with them in not ideal situations.

7. 8lugnutz

8lugnutz Member

I use one of these to tee off high pressure stuff before it gets to the camper’s low pressure regulator. This way i can run separate hoses to run just about anything (lanterns, stoves, grills, etc) and let them use their own regulators as they were designed to work. This approach has never failed or disappointed.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I doubt it will work. I tried with a Coleman eventemp stove which is high pressure. Got a 2nd regulator, removed it so I just had the connector and pipe, and clamped a hose to it. Flow was barely enough to light one burner, and would not let two light at the same time. Flame was basically a simmer too. That was one of the reasons I picked up a weekender on CL, same as the road trip. However, having the high pressure and better flame control would be nice, especially for boiling water.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If it doesn't I'm out $8 and a little time. When we get a few days of reliable weather, and I can get off my lazy @$$, I'll get the stove out of the pup and try it out.