My converter is toast isn't it?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by tjwagers, Apr 28, 2012.

1. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

Did the aftermarket radio mod. Everything was working fine....Today I changed the wiring connectors to a more permanent butt end connection. The pup lights all of a sudden went super bright....and the radio isn't working. Reading off the circuit before connection 13.9v DC....after connection 20.1v DC. Turn the switch to the battery and its back down to 11.6 v DC (the radio came back on...that was a relief)

Just for information the converter in question is a progressive dynamics model 6883. I have a 15 amp fuse in place for the radio circuit. The radio is a Pioneer deh 3300ub-t.

So I have a bad feeling the converter is toast. Also hoping I didn't use too high of a fuse for the radio.

Hopefully I can scratch your all's brains and we can figure this out.

2. freenaz

freenaz Member

I'm no expert but my old converter was putting out 18.7vdc so I changed it. I found out by burning up a fan and radio your lucky to not have damaged the radio.

3. Biohazard

Biohazard If its new, take it apart and make it better !!!!

how often do convertors go ??? I was thinking of doing a aftermarket radio install as I used to do car installs but if I could really damage something IDK if i should now...:(