My cover solution.

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Paul_A, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Paul_A

Paul_A New Member

Heavy duty tarp from harbor freight, some pvc and wood. I'll report back as to how long the tarp lasts in West Central Florida.

IMG_20200927_100811_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20200927_100309_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20200927_100837_hdr.jpg

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Nice! Tell me a little more about how you did the pvc part? I keep my camper stored off site and so limited to what I can do, but might be able to modify this to work for me.

3. Paul_A

Paul_A New Member

IMG_20200927_111616_hdr_kindlephoto-1743199022.jpg IMG_20200927_111546_hdr.jpg

I saved the corner joints and ridge from an old metal pole shelter we had but you should be able to replicate it. I used 1/2" and 3/4" pvc.

Using roof terminology there are 9 pvc rafters attached to a pvc ridge beam and 2 joists which are just light rope so that I can easily remove them when I pull the camper out.

Edit to add; I tried it with fewer rafters but the cover was overwhelmed when we had a torrential downpour. This setup works great, rain is not an issue

kcrouth likes this.
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

It appears that your setup takes care of quite a few issues that waterproof tarps can create.

What was the total cost or the estimated cost for someone to accumulate the supplies to make your shelter? I'm just trying to compare your cost to the cost of a breathable tarp that only lasts a few years.

5. Paul_A

Paul_A New Member

Yes from what I've read here having air circulation, particularly with the fleetwood ABS roof, is important.

I believe you could build a similar shelter for under 150.00.

The pvc glue, pipes and joints were roughly 50.00, the wood and screws another 50.00 and the tarp and rope were 30.00.

I spent much less because I installed a sprinkler system in our front lawn a few years ago so I had leftover pvc stuff and I saved the 4x4's from the kids old swingset so there's that. lol, I love when I stash something and can reuse it years later

kcrouth and jpCamper like this.
  6. rsdata

rsdata Active Member Gold Supporting Member

tarpgarage.jpg
    Keep that tarp from flapping in the wind to keep it longer. I have found that the wind is the biggest killer of tarps.

Another good source of tarps is Tractor Supply. Their white tarps that they sell to cover hay bales I found to be stronger and better made then the typical silver/black HD tarp from HF or most anywhere else. I have one going into it's third winter and it still is doing very well covering my 20 x 12 tarp garage 365 days a year.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    vaderhater22 and Paul_A like this.
  7. kcrouth

kcrouth New Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, looks like a great setup. i have been thinking about doing something like that also. We store our popup in a community fenced "yard" and have only about 1 foot clearance between the sides and our "neighbor's" space. I like the 4x4 uprights, but wonder how to anchor them since i cannot have ties going outward. I've considered large buckets full of concrete to hold the verticals, but fear that one may end up on the camper in the event of tropical force winds. I may be able to anchor the posts to the chain link fence in the rear (tho may get busted for it), but in the front, they would need to be self-supporting. Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps a buried auger post of some sort? Suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Watch out for critters setting up a home under there.

Paul_A and kcrouth like this.
  9. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm afraid that setup won't stand up to 4' of snow in February like we get here at the foot of the southernmost of the Cascade Mountain Range - but in FL, snow is not a particular worry. Wind? Yes! Snow? Not so much.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

I had thought about something like that, but the issue here is snow load!!!

11. gcook12

gcook12 New Member

Really like this. I was going to make a bow shed but this is much less work. I hear good reports on bill board tarps so I may try that.