My dog fell OUT of the pop up

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Ohiocamper13, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Ohiocamper13

Ohiocamper13 Member

Luckily no one was injured. Probably stunned-I was!! We went to PA & set up in the dark at 7:30. My guess is hubby didn't secure the Velcro and bungee well enough. She's about 50 pounds and sleeps in our bed. I was sound asleep when at 1am my hubby says "the dog just fell out!" I ran out & got her. She seemed ok. Luckily he heard or she could have ran away. Just curious if anyone else had this happen? We are laughing now, better the dog than one of the kids. I'll make sure it's all secure from now on.

Turfit likes this.
  2. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Glad to hear all was ok. :)

As a matter of fact, over one of the last nights of our recent trip, our German Shepherd (about 70 pounds) wedged herself quite nicely in between the mattress and canvas. I mentioned to my partner the next morning how good it was to have such strong bungees because without them, she most assuredly would have fallen right out.

Ohiocamper13 likes this.
  3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Our dog Molly (80 lbs) liked to sleep against something. At home it was the front door, in the camper (the 1st time) it was the canvas. Then in the middle of the night she starts whining because her hind legs had slipped between the canvas and the bunkend and she was just hanging there. From then on she slept on the dinette so she wouldn't fall out.

4. roc87

roc87 New Member

Wow,glad to hear that everyone is ok.this crosses my mind often as we have several small chi-chi's that accompany us and they love to wedge in and snuggle lol.I'll be sure to keep everything extra tight!!

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My fix for this is to use four of those 2"x2"x30" foam pieces (WALMART) that is used with the window air conditioners. These fit right in between the mattress and window flaps. I did this for keeping drafts out of the tent bed ends but also works great for keeping small things from falling out...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

Another thing I have done along this line was to use those 2' carpet squares (LOWES) with sticky backs and placed them on the top of the wood tent bed floor. Really made a difference for us...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Wilkywoods and gladecreekwy like this.
  6. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Not the dog, but a friend of mine was camping and well lets just say he tends to drink a lot. He forgot to secure the canvas on the bunk end and when he went to bed he rolled out of the end. If you knew the way this guy explained his mishap you would have been rolling with laughter as well. This is the same guy who couldn't fit the 50 pound turkey we gave hive on his weber grill so he decided to cut it up using his sawzall.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Our palomino doesn't use bungees. It has the ends permanently attached to the bed platforms, and for the sides, it has double velcro - a layer that tucks under the bed and affixes to the top of the bed platform, and a second layer that goes under the bed platform and affixes underneath. Even though the velcro is 12 years old it's really solid, which I appreciate.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Once long ago we had set the PUP up, about bed time I climbed in bed and ended up on the LP tank, my son had not set the end I was in poles up correctly and they popped out of the bracket.
    Luckily I was not hurt, the dog was on the other end with my son so she was fine, it was quite funny to the neighbors camping I am sure and embarrassing to me to say the least I did learn and important lesson to check for myself after that.

9. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

I laughed SO HARD at this!!!
    Our dog fell out of the window of the car in the campsite, we were driving through very slowly and opened her window so she could look out. 30 seconds later we heard "buboom" and she was sitting sheepish on the side of the road. Thankfully we were only going about 10mph.

Our palomino does use Bungees- the front part is permanently attached and the side has wings that are secured under it.
    I wonder if we could add velcro...

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When we were growing up my parents owned a Jayco popup with bunjies all around the bunkend. My brothers were teenagers and let's just say hated curfew. They would close their bunk end curtains pretending they were asleep open the bunjies all the way around and quietly slip out and climb in the same way in the early morning hours. They couldnt close all the bunjies but some. All without my parents finding out. Until one day my one brother failed to crawl in far enough before climbing under the covers and fell out. So to say their secret was out. My brothers were very skinny and tall at that age. My camper has bungies on the sides, but it's permanently attached in the back.

11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

My dog "escaped" out the dinette slide-out canvas on my Coleman once. He wasn't happy about being left inside and pushed his nose against the velcro until the canvas separated and jumped on down to come find me. After that I started placing his kennel on the dinette when I needed him inside and I was outside!

12. tfischer

A buddy of mine tells me about the time he fell out of the bunk (outside) when he was a toddler... This would have been early 70s.

13. Turfit

Turfit New Member

My old 78 Jayco had bungees and my kids would roll over and most of their weight would be leaning on the side of the canvas and both my girls fell out onto the ground about a year apart. No one got hurt but you be surprise how fast a Dad can get out of bed and outside when something like that happens!!!

14. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Our mini dashund was always running around when ever we leave him in the crate and not lock .
    He was very small so would push the Velcro apart and go for a walk.

15. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I've read many threads about toddlers falling out of the bunks on the sides. Fortunately, my kids were older when we bought the p'up; no rolling out of a tent! Those same threads all come with good advice; many people have found that a pool noodle all around the bunk keeps dogs and kids from rolling up against the canvas.

16. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean Member

One of my pack tried to get out by pushing at the canvas (with bungies) on the side of the bunk. We were outside cooking bacon at the table just below where his furry snout appeared. We did laugh but that was also the moment when we knew the dogs could never be left in the trailer alone!

17. tfischer

We bring our dog's folding crate along with us camping. We only use it if we have to leave the campsite for a short time without him... we'll set it up in a bunk, and he'll snooze in there while we're away. He's very used to doing this at home so he doesn't bark while we're away (verified this numerous times).

When we're sleeping we just let him have free roam, he'll take turns cuddling up with one bunk or the other (and hogging the whole bed)