My Door has gaps

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Artist60164, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Artist60164

Artist60164 Active Member

It's a tent pop up and has gaps around the door. Can I put a weather stripping on the outside to close the gaps. ALSO the bottom of the door is rotting and the contact paper LOLOL is peeling up. I saw a video on you tube about fixing the bottom and installing a u bracket? after filling the bottom. ANY IDEAS?
    door.png

2. Artist60164

The front levelers are down. But the back ones are up. I can see them but don't know how to get them down. 1983 Jayco Jay

3. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

They are not levelers they only to stabilize once you are level. You level front to back with the tongue jack. You level side to side by the tire meaning a board or BAL leveler or Anderson levelers which i love under the low side tire. Thats how you level. That will make your door seal and close so much better.

campfire Joe and neighbormike like this.
  4. Artist60164

Omg I thought they were the levelers. Can you come over? lol

Overland likes this.
  5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Using the stabilizers to level with can bend the frame and cause the door to not fit correctly

6. Artist60164

What does a tongue jack look like? Okay I looked it up. Mine does not have a wheel. It does go up and down and I have a level on the side by the door do I watch that until it's level?

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Just wanted to comment on this. I had an old 1990 Jayco many years back. On mine the back stabilizers got stuck many times. They essentially swing up to store and swing down when you need to use them. I had to crawl under the camper to wiggle them at the same time trying to pull out and down. I don't know exactly why they stuck you may need to throw some dry lube on it to help release them. I did screw up on one of mine when I drove with it down and bent something. They stored fine but became stuck more often than not getting them down. If you still can't get them down then you can use a regular jack stand to give you the stabilization you need in the back. Some people even removed the stabilizers and replaced with a sissor stabilizer jack. Much easier to use than the stupid swing down ones if you ask me.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I take a cheap level with me , first i pull into the site. Then i level side to side to see what side needs to go higher. Then i pull onto my step chock untill its level side to side. Next ,i level with the toung jack front to back.so it has to be level both ways. The stabilizers more or less make it less shaky when using it and prevent it from tipping over while inside.

Artist60164 likes this.
  9. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

If you are looking at the level on the side of the camper that one is to get you level front to rear, which your tongue jack will do. You should have another level on the front of the camper to get you level side to side. for that you will need something under one of the wheels. I use a set of plastic lego blocks.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Artist60164

I found out HERE that the stabilizers were to make the pup stable not to level. I will have to crawl under (after reading my manual) to see how they come down. The poor pup was sitting in someone's yard for three years. And the stabilizers were stuck in the dirt. We had to pull forward to get them out of the mud. Then they were able to go up. They go up inward towards the front of the pup. Now for leveling I am going to try lowering or higher the tongue jack. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WISDOM AND KINDNESS.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dont forget to level side to side also. Thats achieved by pulling up the low tire on a leveling block.

12. Artist60164

The level on the side of the pup shows the bubble to the far right. Does that mean I need to wind the tongue jack up or down? Sorry to be so ignorant of these things.

13. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Try one way and watch the bubble. Does it move further away or start to get closer to the middle? If it isnt getting closer to the middle, turn the jack the opposite direction.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Once you figure that out, use an actual level. See if it agrees with the stick on one that is on your trailer.

15. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Here is a video to show you how to level side to side. This is very important to get right. It takes the most work so spend time getting this one right! Then your forward to backward is much simpler AFTER you have unhooked the tow vehicle.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

my father always told me to remember this when using a level. The Bubble rides to the high side. So what ever side the bubble is from center is your high side.

campfire Joe likes this.
  17. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

The stabilizers that swing down in the back pull towards the center of the pup first. Then they swing down. At least mine do.

18. Artist60164

YOU ARE CORRECT!!! Dave and Theresa came up from TN. Dave first helped me move out of the driveway into my back yard. Now it looks like I am camping. He brought out his own level set the stabilizers on some wood and cranked each up till the pup was level. Had to use the tongue jack to go up and down. NOW MY DOOR CLOSES. Thank you for the idea.

19. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

This is not right... please do NOT use stabilizers to level... as already mentioned.

20. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I guess I am doing it wrong as well... My POPUP door will not open unless I have my trailer level end to end... I have a level bubble install near the bottom of the door and use the tongue jack to set this level.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    google images

Then I use my stabilizer jacks on thick boards under each corner and I also adjust so the back side of the trailer is lower then the front side to allow the air conditioner rain off to the back side of the trailer and to the patio area... I don't have a bubble level for this setting - just guess at it... I don't know of any other way to adjust the side to side level set except using the stabilizer jacks???

My doors do not have the large gaps like shown in your photos... I suspect something has warped your door frame... My upper door frame is on a hinge and has twist snaps in the ceiling to hold it in place... These have a funny name - I forget what the are called.. Thumb latch maybe...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]