My experience since joining td dark side

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by West Coast Canuck, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

Went to the dark side in June and my boat sat all summer long because if we had a free weekend we camped! Almost every one of our camping trips will be to leave on Friday after DW and I get off of work and return on Sunday. With the ease of set up and take down we scheduled more trips... I do not miss the PUP, but it was kinda cute....

2. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

3. outdoorxman

outdoorxman The mountains are calling me and I must go.

We're on our second TT. We miss the PU but love the setup and all the convenience. Welcome to the dark side.

Phil

4. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

I look at photos of my pup (and others on this forum), and I truly miss it. Like most that have gone 'dark', I do not miss the set-up. With my truck camper, I just pull up to a site and I'm done! As long as it's "reasonably" level, I don't have to do anything, but set up a camp chair, camp kitchen and I'm ready to fish or relax. All of that takes about ten minutes or less. Usually less than ten minutes.

Since it's usually just me and Bonnie (Sheltie), this is quite nice!

Set-up with the popup took about 30 minutes, at the least, and sometimes about an hour, depending on how hard I worked. I was always exhausted after cranking up the top... that's got a lot to do with my age... *mumble-mumble* years old! hahah

The two things I really miss about my popup are the hot-water heater and the spacious feeling inside. Aside from those things, going 'dark' has been the best choice for me. If I were younger, I certainly would have kept the popup.

5. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

You can pry my popup from my cold, dead fingers!! [EEK] [;)]

I am yet to pull in to a camp ground where I see anything that I would prefer to own more than what I have. OK, maybe one of these fancy newer ones with the diamond plate and toy-deck but that is still a PUP.

My neighbors have a small TT and it was more expensive to buy, is heavier to tow and much more cramped inside. They have camped in it precisely one night since they bought it, two years ago. They sometimes spend an evening in it in the driveway.

I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like but that is due to self-employed work commitments and not having a 9-to-5 type job. My work is very physical and PUP set up is a breeze by comparison, even with my advancing years.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

For many of us there is a single event or "trigger" that prompts us to make a change in a long-time habit. For me, the decision to move from a tent to a PUP was made during a week in Yellowstone when the temps were in the low 20s every night. For my dad, the decision to move from a PUP to a small TT was made one hot summer day in the early '60s on Canada 1 in Manitoba.

We were returning to Minnesota from Banff. During the late afternoon we passed a couple who were towing a TT. We got to the campground, found a site and began the setup process. Did I mention that it was HOT? As we were sweating in the sun setting up the PUP that couple with the TT pulled in and took a site across from us. In ten minutes they backed in, leveled, took out a pair of chairs, sat down with cold drinks and watched us work for another half hour.

That just popped the cork in my dad's brain. He talked about how sweet that was the rest of the evening. I could tell by the look in my mother's eye that, at that moment, she knew we were going to get a TT. We did at the end of that summer. It was a little 15' Shasta. Remember the "wings" they had on both sides on the upper back end? I only took one trip in it with them. It was the next summer and we went to California.

Over the next 35 years my parents had three TT's, each one a bit bigger than the last. They continued touring the West until dad retired, then they turned into snowbirds and headed for points south every year right after the holidays. They stayed in places like SoCal, Arizona, Texas and Florida until late April. They had enjoyed their PUP but they never pined for it after they went to the Dark Side.

7. Zander2004

Zander2004 New Member

We love the darkside, so glad we made the move!!!! Congrats!!

8. Harhir

Harhir New Member

I guess everyone has his/her reasons to move to something bigger.
    I have to admit that we like the fact that there is less to set up but whenever I think about it the logic kicks in and all the disadvantages too.
    - We would need a stronger towing vehicle and I am not up for this. I would not want to drive a large SUV or truck as a daily driver nor would my wife. She loves her minivan (our towing vehicle) and hates SUVs. And I don't want to give up my convertible.
    - Right now I can park my trailer in the driveway. With a larger trailer I could not do this. Driveway is too steep and corners too sharp from the alley.
    - The fuel consumption. Right now I am getting just above 20 mpg when towing which I already consider pretty bad. Being from Europe I would like to be it in 30s. So anything heavier combined with these pre WWII gas guzzling SUVs or trucks is just out of a question.
    And when traveling alone or with the kids only I don't even take the trailer but the tent only. I find it kind of hideous to tow 2000 lb of steel, wood and fiberglass just to sleep in when a 5lb tent can do the same job. lol

So I guess we will not move to anything much larger in the foreseeable future.

The only reason of a non popup I can see right now is that I could rent it out when I do not need it. I don't really want to rent out a tent trailer with all the setup procedures one has to care for and the things than can go wrong. But a co-worker has a 30' trailer he rents out and which pays for part of his trailer. But this still requires I would need to get one of these antique SUVs or pickups. lol...

So I guess it is not going to happen soon.... ;-)

9. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I can understand what you are saying. After living in Korea for a decade now, I think a lot smaller. Gas here is $8 a gallon, diesel about $6.50, and everything is smaller. A high-sided trailer would be comically big here! :eek:
    Europe must be similar, if not more expensive, but I do see a lot of large TTs when I watch cycling.
    I'd never rent out my trailer, even if I had a TT. Rentals get thrashed.
    We have talked about just "tenting it" often, but have only done it once since we got our first trailer.

10. TheBerrys

TheBerrys 1977 Palomino in Albuquerque, NM

We came from the "Dark Side" and don't have any plans to give up the "Beast" anytime soon. They both have advantages. For those short three or four day fishing trips the PUP is just the thing but when DW and I along with two dogs head out for a long trip of a week or more the Class "A" is a lot more comfortable. We hook up the Sidekick and bite the bullet on the fuel costs.

Dick
    [​IMG]

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

After the military was through with me and came back home to resume some outdoor activities - all with the exception of backpacking as I had toted everything on my back during those military years and swore "never again". Then fancied myself as a canoe camper have since made quite a few of such (albeit not so much in the past few years) and combined that with some car tent camping. All was going along just fine until one day this brilliant idea came over me to make things more comfortable and acquire a TT. Well, that came to pass and to my dismay discovered that setup simply did not fit my outdoor lifestyle - that behemoth simply could not get back into some of my favorite fishing holes. Plus it ate my lunch gas mileage wise - and required a hefty TV to tow it around and certainly was not noted for gas mileage when not doing it's towing job. And I didn't like the maintenance and storage extra cost. To this end, popup campers have served me well; and so far I've liked the smaller 8' box best .... at most there's just two of us and quite a few times just me.

12. outdoorxman

outdoorxman The mountains are calling me and I must go.

The biggest thing for us was the loading and unloading. It's so easy just go out and open the door, walk in and drop off. Next is the stup. We do look back occasionally and hope we aren't turned to salt! [:D] But seriously, we do miss laying on the bunk with the windows open.

13. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

While others, like myself get the urge and think about going over to the dark side, go through all the motions, the options, the cost, the tow vehicle...only to end up frustrated and overall satisfied with my pup. It's good sometimes to confirm that everything is just fine with my pup. Every year I go through the process though, maybe one year I'll cave.

When I got out, I felt the same about backpacks, but there is some pretty cool stuff out there today and I am heading back in that direction, but this time in a hammock, I am too old to be sleeping on the ground.

14. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

Two PUP's several tents and the back of my pick-up later, we went to a HTT. We couldn't leave the "canvas". The set up time was the most pushing point for us although with us both straddling 60, age was another factor. We've only been out in it once and that was our last trip last year. Can't wait to get it out of storage and get crackin making her "camp ready".

15. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Must say that I do miss opening the flaps on the bunk ends, but the side windows on our bed slide out comes in close second [:D]

16. yetibiker

yetibiker Darksider, family adventurer

I am about to put my PUP up for sale and go to the dark side. It took many years to convince the DW to try tent camping. After 2 outings we both saw the appeal of a popup. We bought a PUP last spring and it did make things easier and more comfortable. It was still a lot of work and stress camping in a PUP with 4 kids aged 1-7, and lets face it, DW and I are just getting the hang of camping. Well, child number 5 arrived in the fall and camping fever arrived right on schedule in the spring.

I've decided that we haven't camped enough and that we want to have many adventures and to see the country with the kids. Our TV is a Suburban anyway. We will go from 10' PUP to 26' bunk house travel trailer. We will still scorn hook ups and prefer the more rustic tent sites in WI's beautiful state parks and national forests. The faster setup/takedown and ease of loading/unloading will allow us to spend more stress-free time with kiddos. DW will actually have a comfy bed that she can sleep in. We will be able to take our aging Blue Heeler along on trips, but leave her behind to sleep while we check out local attractions. I also see cross country trips that would not be easy with a PUP.

17. Twisty

Twisty New Member

We have dry camped more than hooked up since we got our TT. [:D] [LOL] [LOL]

18. BigBaron

My wife saw some pics of hybrids and said, "We should get one of those." Geez, we just got a new pop-up! :eek:

I'm with Twisty. We have never put water in our trailers. Gonna try it this year, though.

19. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I think it's great that there are so many types of campers to choose from. I wish there were even more options here in the U.S.

I currently have no need for a large truck. If I already had one for work, etc., I would've started out in a TT. But I'm not going to get a truck just so I can tow during the summer, and get horrible MPG the whole year. I just would have no other need for a truck. We don't even have a need for a minivan, since we only have our son.

Our current camper can be towed by almost anything and the 10 ft box is plenty for the 3 of us.

I could see wife and I getting a 5th wheel in retirement. I would consider a truck then, since we would tow all year with it. A 5th wheel is my dream set-up [8D]

20. BigBaron

How about this rig for your retirement?

[​IMG]