My experience since joining td dark side

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by West Coast Canuck, Sep 23, 2012.

1. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Holy Mama that 5'er up there is HUGE!

We tent camped for a few years, then bought and restored a vintage PUP (all canvas 1965 Westholt cruiser).
    Now the kids are gone, we've got two large dogs and we camped once with them in our tiny pup. One of our dogs is a husky and she's a hoodini. My wife actually sleeps with her lead wrapped around her wrist at night. And leaving them in the camper, for any time for any reason, would be impossible.

We still have the grand caravan and pup, but this year we bought a use Suburban and a new 19 foot TT. It has a HUGE slideout dinette that really gives us space with the pups and us, and it's also a spare bed for the grandson. Our bed is permanent, and I'm so looking forward to eating at our dinette without having to make my bed first!
    We plan a few regular dry camps, but we're also planning on using all the amenities too. Our rule was, no pooper-no payments. So now we've got both, a full bath, and a loan! lol.
    We go the first weekend in May to the Ft. Custer area in Michigan. Short drive (not quite an hour) will give me time to get used to towing and electric when we get there.
    Reading, I realize we will disappoint many of our friends who've grown to enjoying our ritual setup or take down of our old pup. Now it's back in, level. Consume beverage. We're so excited!!! HUGE fridge/freezer so we can actually plan and shop for food before arriving. In fact we're toying with the idea of bringing the portable fridge we used in the pup with us, so we can have an outdoor fridge. (Cut down traffic in/out of camper).

WOOT... just over a week til our maiden voyage! (Hope it warms up enough by then to de-winterize!)

2. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I have pics of bigger ones from Forest River Forums. The folks there seem to have some serious cash! They're all really nice, too!

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I AM retired but those big rigs are not for me. IMO that's RVing or touring but not camping. Also, rigs like that can't get into the places I want to go. Then there is the mileage/gas cost thing.

4. Nixie

Nixie New Member

We have gone from a 23 ft. 3 room tent, to a 10 ft box pup with no bathroom, to a 14ft wannabe hybrid with a bathroom, and now to a 22ft TT with bathroom and rear bed slide. Our biggest readon for the jump from pup to TT was set up time. With four kids, all set up was pretty much left up to the hubby while I chased down kiddos. We got the 14ft Sun-lite thinking that we wouldn't be spending much time inside, so size didn't matter that much. 3 days into our week long Spring Break trip, I figured out what a big mistake that was. We go pick up our bigger TT on Saturday :)

I can't ever see us going back to a PUP. The lessened set up time is a huge plus. Me being able to load the TT before our trip without popping it up or crawling in is huge. The increased storage and fridge room is pretty much a must have with 6 people. I was carrying so many totes and a huge cooler everytime we went camping in the pup. I will never go back to a camper that doesn't have a bathroom.

I still kept the overall size of our TT down, so we could still camp at the places we like. I will have to make up the dinette and couch everyday because 2 kiddos will be sleeping on those. That kinda stuff doesn't bother me, because afterall, we are camping ;)

5. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Our answer is pretty much like most others... Less set up time.. Easy to load and unload..etc etc... pretty much all we have to load up any more is just clothes and food, and some drinks.. This is our second TT and hopefully our last..After the PUP-HyTT. and our first TT.. We think we have found what we think will be our last one as we are 8 to 10 yrs from retirement. [8D] With the TT, we get out camping sooner than we could.. and we stay out later in the year.. No problems getting around.. We do State parks and a huge amount of river side campgrounds...But still wish i had a really small pup, that i could take out for one nighters.. [LOL] [LOL]

6. zuley

zuley New Member

We purchased our HW Arcadia three seasons ago and said at the time that this was the unit that would take us into our retirement years and beyond. The set up was all part of the experience for us. Some days it would take us three plus hours to set up; work for a bit, stop relax, repeat, until everything was done. We have never broke camp in the rain but have twice left a coulple days early to avoid shutting down wet due to the forecast. We walk our site every night prior to heading inside and make sure there is nothing left to attract any bears, so we thought. This past summer, our last trip out, we had a visit in the middle of the night. What I thought was my wife snoring beside me turned out to be a Yogi pearing in through the screen. As I said we have a high wall so the screens are aprox five feet from the ground. It's a little concerning at three in the morning face to face with a bear with only a thin piece of screen seperating you. We decided to consider a hard side trailer on the trip home. We only looked at one unit and were sold. We pick up our Passport Elite 23RB next weekend.
    Will we miss the p/up? I'm sure we will. I have always maintained camping and canvas go hand in hand. Time will tell...

7. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

You'll miss it, but you won't want to camp in it again. I've not even spent a night in our new trailer yet, but the ease of storage and the ability to put something where it can be used easily, not stuffed away under a bench, is awesome.
    We bought one similar to yours but only 19foot. That slideout (ours is a dinette) makes it feel so much roomier inside!

Enjoy!