My first mod! Awning mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by gofster, Jul 13, 2014.

1. gofster

gofster New Member

I did my first mod the other day. Based on Eggdashure's pics and description, I mod'ed our awning by attaching it to the tent trailer frame.

Drilling the holes into the tent trailer frame was a royal pain in the butt and took about 10 minutes a hole. Then drilling the holes into the poles and getting them 90 degrees from each other was a bit of a challenge as well. (If anyone has any good tips on how to do that properly, I would appreciate it. ) But, I got it done and overall, I'm pretty happy with the results!

Here's a few pics! : )

amgoodwin likes this.
  2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Ummm, you need a new drill bit or sharpen the one you have. Are you sure the drill was not in reverse?

Regaurdless, your first mod is AWESOME! what a great idea!
    Gotta search out Eggdashure original post

3. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Also there are differences in drill bits. Some are for metal, others are for wood, and another type for masonry. A little cutting oil while drilling into metal would help as well.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Isn't nice to mod. Now my take. Please don't take this the wrong way, just tying to help.

Use a good sharp drill and some cutting oil. You will get a better hole faster.

Drilling holes thru tubing..... mark the tube, center punch the starting point. Smaller drill bit first. Cradle the tubing so it doesn't turn. Hold the drill straight. I would not drill all the way thru. With marked tubing drill each side separately.
    1/2" EMT will fit inside 3/4" EMT. Heavy duty Velcro makes a very nice guide and bushing.

You do not have your awning main beam to roof rods in place and you should. You may not get the pins of the poles in with the angle of the main beam. You could add a curved section of EMT to the end of the poles to straighten the main beam out.
    I hope the brackets hanging down do not catch on anything. Just my 2 cents with isn't worth a nickel.

5. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

There are a couple of drill guides for tubings to choose from. I like this one

http://www.trick-tools.com/Drill_Rite_Precision_Drill_Guide_Drill_Rite_1155#.U8KZ1PldVMk

Raycfe did a nice awning mod to his.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=84654.msg829534#msg829534

I have a plan in mind to make it versatile for screen room when needed. As Ray pointed out you do not want to do without the rafter poles to support the awning roof. Also you need to able to shorted one end to let the rain run off. I figure that is probably the multiple holes on your poles are for - if you can figure out how to add a smaller EMT with spring clips.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTech-Spring-Clip-M-MLS/203515966

6. tsc

tsc Member

I like it.

Just one small concern. The bolts at the top end of the awning. Seems a bit long, I can see it catching the awning and ripping it, or the awning touching it and making it into a "wick" when it's raining.

Got a friend with a drill press? They should be able to cut through the tubing quickly and straight.

7. gofster

gofster New Member

Thanks all!

Yeah, I don't know what the deal was with the drill bits. They were titanium bits, brand new, I bought them just for this job. Drilling oil probably would have helped.... now that I know about it. lol! I think part of the problem is also that I'm left-handed, and laying under the tent trailer trying to drill, I had to come at it from a weird angle, so I probably wasn't getting very good leverage on the drill. And believe me, I checked a few times to make sure the drill wasn't in revers! lol!

What finally worked best was drilling a smaller hole first, then going back in with the 1/4in. drill bit after.

Raycfe, don't worry, I'm not easily offended. I appreciate the tips and advice. I'm very new to modding, so I know I'm going to make my mistakes along the way, and I know there are already a few tweaks on this one I'm going to have to correct to make this mod perfect. Like, I'm probably going to have to redrill the holes in the poles, because a couple of them are off just enough to make it very hard to get the bolt through on the L brackets. I haven't had the chance to try the main beams to see if they fit, because I was doing the work in my neighbor's driveway, and I had to get it moved back to ours, and there's not very much room for working on it there. But good tip on the curved EMT pipe. BTW, I like the way you modded your awning too.

Thanks Swordfish, that guide would have been pretty handy! And yes, that's why I have the multiple holes, so I can adjust for the rain runoff.

Thanks tsc! Yeah, I need to get shorter bolts for the top of the awning. I didn't get the chance to measure before I bought the bolts, so I was guessing. Bad guess. lol! Actually, that's funny you say that about the drill press, because that's exactly what I ended up doing was borrowing my neighbor's drill press, which was a huge help, but being an amateur, I still got some of the holes a bit crooked.

But overall, for my first time, I'm pretty happy with the results. If I make some tweaks to it, which I'm sure I probably will, I'll be sure to post updated pics. I appreciate everyone's advice and ideas and tips. Thanks! : )

Hoosier Daddy, here's Eggdashure's original post... http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=71779.0

8. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Another hint for drilling into metal pipe, especially with a drill press: chuck the bit as far into the chuck as you can. Only have 1/4" of the bit sticking out. This will help when starting the hole to keep the bit from walking. And start the holes small and work your way up to the final size you need. It may take multiple intermediate sizes.

9. swordfish

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Don't take this wrong, (I have to say that lately), but how did you gain anything over just letting them rest on the ground?

11. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Am I the only one that cannot see the pictures in this thread?

I'm very intrigued with this post but can only comment on the comments....lol

To the OP, my mother would have been offended with you! Using the fact that you are lefty as an excuse! (I mean being a righty, I get it...we do rule!) of couse I'm kidding...do they make a left vs right hand drill. (Not talking about reverse rotation bit here people.) My mom loves to shop in the lefty store....

Oh well, I hope to see more hacks/modes from OP.

Happy camping.

FL Bill

12. gofster

gofster New Member

Great tip mnebinger, thanks! I talked to the guys at my local hardware store, where they have a shop in back to do cuts, drilling and other miscellaneous services for people, and they said they would only charge $8 to drill the holes for me in the 2 pipes. For $8, I think I'll buy 2 more pipes and let them drill them for me, and at least if the drilling gets messed up, they'll drill another until they get it right, and I won't have to keep paying for replacement pipes or broken drill bits if I screw up the drilling myself.

Thanks Swordfish! I'll check it out.

Tombiasi, don't worry, it's all good.... I think probably on of the biggest advantages to having this set up, for me, is if for some reason I have to move or shift the tent trailer, (which I've had to do for one reason or another a few times before) I don't have to pull up all the stakes, move the trailer, then re-stake everything. This way, I just move it and I'm all good. Another reason is ease of set up. This way, I only have to fold down the poles, put them between the L bracket, pop in the bolt and I'm done. The last reason is that a lot of times, the ground is very hard and compacted at a lot of the campgrounds we go, and pounding in the stakes is a royal pain. This way, I don't have to worry about it at all. Those are my reasons at least, other people may have other reasons.

Hahaha Bill!! I don't know why you can't see the pics. Maybe your browser settings? If you want to message me your email I would be happy to email them to you. As far as the lefty thing, I've been fighting that my whole life, it's a right-handed world! lol!! I think it was mostly that I couldn't get in a position that would work comfortably without having metal shavings falling in my face.

13. swordfish

There is one advantage for dog owners. Dogs chase anything that moves and pull down the poles or tangle up the poles with their leashes.

14. 77starmaster

77starmaster New Member

Awesome job! funny thing tho, My hybrid has this mount and my dad and daughter kept walking in to them last week so I unhooked it from camper and stood them straight up like our pup

15. gofster

gofster New Member

Swordfish, we have a wiener dog, and she loves to chase things while were camping! Most of the time, she's very good about staying in our campsite, so the only time we have to stake her down to a line is when there's a lot of people around, then she can get yappy and annoying. lol! But we always make sure that's away from the awning poles so she doesn't clothesline herself.

$ignmoney, that's funny! We'll have to see when we go camping if the kids run into our poles. lol! Worst case, we go back to the old system.

16. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

I was actually thinking of doing something like this with my A&E awning because of the dog constantly getting caught up in it with his chain. Our awning poles actually have ball ends on the bottom, covered up by a rubber "foot"... I'm assuming I could just remove these feet and add sockets to the pup body that would get them out of his way (but probably more in our way unfortunately... would have to always walk around them).

17. kellieh04

kellieh04 New Member

I think your awning mod looks wonderful!!!! We bought a new awning and it has an option to attach the poles to the side of our pup. That is what we are going to do. I like it much better. I will probably put some of the swim noodles on the poles so a person can see the poles a little bit better but I like the awning poles much better attached to the pup. We have had ours on the ground in the past and then have had to tie a small rope to a stake in the ground so there were 2 things a person had to dodge while walking around our campsite. So good job on a job well done! [;)]

18. gofster

gofster New Member

tfischer, I figured for what it cost me, less than $15 in supplies, it was worth a try. Worst case, if we don't like it, we take the poles off, put the old ones back, and go back to the old method.

Thanks Kelli, I appreciate it! : ) That's a great idea with the swim noodles on there!

19. ka9nyn

ka9nyn Member

Like Kellieh04, some sort of brightly colored ribbon or the swim noodles on the angle supports would be a good addition.

I can't count the number of times I was 'clotheslined' by things like this. Playing tag, hide & seek, etc.

Too old and fat to do that now, but maybe kids on neighboring sites. You never know.

Great project!!

20. eggdashure

eggdashure New Member

Nice work gofster! [:D] [MOD]