My first mod! Awning mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by gofster, Jul 13, 2014.

1. gofster

gofster New Member

Thanks Eggdashure! I actually tweaked it a bit before we left on our trip because the part where the poles fit into the awning, with a straight pole, it was at a weird angle instead of 90 degrees. So I added some curved pieces to the ends of the poles, and it worked perfectly! You can see what I'm talking about in the pictures.

We also ended up getting some swim noodles to put around the poles which worked pretty well too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse the wet clothes hanging off the poles, but admittedly, it works pretty well for drying wet clothes! lol!

2. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Great study mod. Thanks for sharing.

3. gofster

gofster New Member

Thanks Mocamper! : )

4. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Just got back from camping today and discovered our awning poles, which I've always extended to the ground, work nicely if I prop them up against the camper just above the travel latches. Had it like that for 2 days and they stayed up with no issues (although granted it wasn't terribly windy out).

Kept the dog from breaking things...

5. gofster

gofster New Member

Cool Tfischer! Gotta' go with whatever works is what I say. lol!

6. fundi

fundi New Member

Gotta ask if your roof leans to the awning side because of this mod? I did this mod last year and it worked great til I noticed that the roof was leaning and putting a lot of stress on the supports. Quickly took it down.

I do have a roof top a/c unit, so that weight might have been causing it. I was able to do it to one leg with out causing to much lean, and it cleared up a little space.

Donnie

7. gofster

gofster New Member

Hey there Donnie,

So far it hasn't made anything lean, but then we've only used it for one 8 day trip, so it might be a little early to tell if it will affect it. We don't have an AC unit, but I'm sure that does add more stress on the roof and the mod for sure. How much do those things weigh?

One thing I did do, was leave the center support pole in place in case I needed the extra support at some point. I just have it taped up, but it's there if I need it.

8. GWR

GWR Once a tent camper

Gofster,

You did a great job with this mod! This is something I was looking for and will see if it will work on my PUP. Thanks!

9. gofster

gofster New Member

Thanks Bill, I appreciate it! : ) Post some pics of your mod if you do it.

10. zjrog

zjrog Member

First off, I like this mod. And shame on the OP... I'm a lefty as well and make do quite well with this disability in a righty world. I guess I'm as much ambidextrous as I am a lefty.

I like the additional curved part from the other poster. If I wind up with a bagged awning.

On my 72 Starlite, my original awning requires three poles with spikes on them and then uses guy lines. I'd been giving thoughts to have a piece of conduit bolted through the holes at the end of the awning, and then having conduit space the awning from the roof and then a similar to the OP's setup, but with brackets on the sides of the frame, not below.

I don't have an awning for the 84 Starcraft project yet. Might do something custom on both sides of the trailer. Trying to avoid guy lines to limit trip hazards.

11. banks412

banks412 New Member

Great job on this! Love it! My only concern would be that the angle brackets you have drilled into the frame might have a tendency to twist and bend with time/wind. Otherwise, I really like this idea, as someone who also has a 'modified' PuP awning that attached to the side of the trailer.

Nice job!