My First RV Show

Discussion in 'RV Shows' started by Ryanincc, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Just went to the San Antonio, TX one last weekend. My first RV show. Had 5 pups, 1 hybrid and 2 A frames out of hundreds. Mostly RV's over $50K. Some were half-million. KInda funny, just about every trailer, not very many, 25 feet and under were sold, none of the expensive ones had sold stickers. If that's the norm, I wonder why they don't have tons more smaller trailers at that annual show? Im sure other towns sales are different.

2. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Pretty true here in the Midwest, too. The expensive ones return a much higher profit but most of us would have to sell our homes to afford one!

Diane

3. davido

davido Active Member

The smaller ones may sell more quickly, but are less profitable to tote around from one venue to another. Besides, they will sell on the lot just fine.

The larger and more expensive ones may sell more infrequently, but when they do, someone gets well paid.

Our local RV show typically has about 30 pups from a variety of manufacturers, amid a couple hundred big RV's. But in any given category it may not be that many. Pups may make up 1/10th of the total RV's there. But someone looking at 5th Wheel RV's with aft-garages might complain that only 5% of the RV's there fit that specific description.

4. Ryanincc

Im sure that a 6 figure RV would fetch a much larger commission, but it seems to me that there are a lot more people that can't afford them than can. Why not cater to the masses?

Side note: What's the deal with the vendors at RV shows? They were mostly time share scams, knife selling scam, pampered chef adn that type of stuff. I expected to see some cool gadgets or accessories, maybe a table with some Camco stuff at least, but there were NONE! Except for the State Park table, they were all shady hustlers it seemed.

5. davido

davido Active Member

Many of the booths at RV shows are the same booths that you see at the state fair, the home improvement show, the crafts show, the car show, the cooking show, and so on. Think of it this way; the knife guy has knives to sell. The cooking show lasts 4 days. 361 days each year remain where he still needs to sell knives. So he rents a booth at whatever show will let him in.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I live in virginia and our RV show is very much the same. One or two popups vrs thousand class A's or 5th wheels. Frustrating indeed. However in my area most of our RV vendors don't even sell popups at all. If they get any as a return they seem to pawn it onto another dealer.

7. Grandpa Hiker

Grandpa Hiker Member

I went to a RV show in Greensboro, NC last weekend .... 2 pups, maybe 3 HTT's, a bunch of Class A's & 5'ers.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

8. Ryanincc

Did you, or anyone else, notice at the show that the smaller ones were sold and the others barely?

9. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

My wife and I go to the Michigan RV show in Novi to buy sausage from one of the vendors at the show, Nowicki's Sausage Shop in Alpena, MI. However, he wasn't there at the show in the fall. I was very disappointed so I bought a new Pop Up instead! Hopefully he will be there in a month at the show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

At the shows up here they have stickers on the side of the cheaper units that say sold then have "9 of 13" for example meaning they have 4 left at that price.

You walk through 1 but they have 13 of the same trailer at their lot or reserved at the manufacturer at the show price. Not saying it's the same at the one you were at just what I've noticed. They typically have the most popular trailer speced to the most popular layout to sell a bunch with a special show price since they were purchased in volume for the show. There is no reason to bring all of them as the delivery and walk through will be at the dealership later anyway.

If there is one you like of that model with a different layout they will talk to you about ordering or finding the existing layout in inventory somewhere or they may have that one on the lot, but they don't bring a bunch of a similar layout el cheapo's as the space is more valuable to bring their more expensive units.

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

And to your side note the shows have gone down hill as far as the vendors. The show I normally go to is a boat sport and travel show. The vendors used to be pretty specialized fishing gear or niche campground equipment you could only find at the show. Now they sell most of that in about the same numbers off the internet without paying outrageous booth rentals. 20 years ago people would stock up once a year on that special lure or whatever and waited all year for the show to come around again but now you can search and buy anytime online. The internet and increased rental cost made it a bad business model for those guys to set up at the show. But the guys selling ring cleaner, army surplus bags, knives, etc can sell to any market and are generally more of an impulse buy so they need to be in front of a lot people. The travel booths are still fun to walk through and dream about vacations though.

12. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

So with all of this good news, I'm wondering if it's worth the time and money to go to the show in Chicago that's held in Rosemont near Chicago in February.

13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Shows are just a chance to see other dealers, new advances, or plain ole junk. You can't get that all in driving around on a Saturday

14. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i am going to the show this weekend, not to buy a new camper, new knife, or a timehare elsewhere, just for something to do , get out of the house since it,s only 13 degrees outside, there only so much i can do at home. sure you can drive around different dealer lots just to look at new rigs, at least the show saves you time and gas money

15. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I go there to look at the roof gutter helmet cover vendors and the replacement windows [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    John, if you go during the week shoot me a PM and maybe I can skip out of here and meet you at Primantis [:D] [:D]

16. Ryanincc

I'd go. Even with my first experience just ok, I'm going to another show early Feb. Unless you have something better to do, or the price you mention is significant, why not? [:D]

17. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

john, i am heading there saturday (i Know it,s probally the worst day ) work has me pretty busy though the week, meeting ShanegoDave from the portal he is my brother in law. then going out for corned beef with a egg afterwards. maybe we can meet up at laurel hill sp sometime soon unless we run into each other elsewhere [:D]

18. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Absolutely they are still a lot of fun.

19. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

That's why I am going in February. I'm not shopping but it's something to do in this crummy cold weather!

20. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

You mean you do not need any gutter covers? [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Here are a few good points about RV shows.
    #1, The show special prices are usually more that you can make a deal for at the lot. That expensive space at the show gets paid for.....by you. That dealer is not paying for the space.
    I bought a HTT in 2010 for $1000 less off the lot than what the "non negotiable lowest ever show price" was 3 months later. Same dealer, same unit, that was sitting beside the one I bought 3 months earlier.

#2, You do not want the exact unit that was at the show. Fiberglass laminated trailers have laminated floors. One thing you don't want is thousands upon thousands of people putting foot traffic through one you end up buying. Also they are opening doors and drawers, pushing the buttons, playing with the radios. They usually have all the lights fired up, putting over a week of max load on the converter. Believe me you do not want that exact unit. I had a salesman tell me stories of the women who change the babies diapers in the trailers and put the nasty ones in the drawer................ [:D]
    These things are built cheaply enough that you do not want all that additional traffic in one. They get enough traffic sitting on the lot if they are there any amount of time.