My homemade leveler and storage racks

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by thegoodlife, Apr 29, 2011.

1. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

I made a shelf for the inside of the p'up using PVC pipe and closet shelves. We noticed on our first trip that the counter just got cluttered up real bad and that was only an overnight trip. The shelf will give us much more storage.

[​IMG]
    I made a leveler too. I used a scissor jack for the lift. Had to mount the jack so that it would pivot at the top and bottom so it would not bind while lifting. I know its probably heavier than a BAL but this one was free. Everything I used to build it was just laying around the shop. A good coat of paint and it will be finished.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Very nice on the shelving. I love PVC for this kind of stuff. Almost decided to do that rather than the shelf mod with the spring loaded shower rods. Did you glue the shelf frames and leave the risers ungluded so it can store flat or is it all unglued?

I'm thinking of making a camp kitchen out of it sometime before our week long trip in August. Couple of shelves and a counter top to set the grill, stove and a wash station on. With enough cross braces under the table top, I think I can do it with fairly thin plywood or something light weight and still have plenty of support. A radial arm saw with stops is your friend with these projects so you can set up a stop and cut everything to the same length. Minimizes the cussing [;)]

The level looks like it will do the trick also. Hope your a young man because I don't think too many weekends of moving that thing around would agree with my bad back [;)]. Definetly heavy duty and should last you a ling time. And I understand "free". It's one of my favorite words!

Great job!

3. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

I actually just used some screws to hold the shelf frames together. I forgot to get glue when I went to Lowes and I already had the screws so I used them. You can see the screw heads in the pic. The risers are loose so it stores flat.

The level is not all that bad. I would guess its probably around 25-30 lbs.

4. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

WOW... pretty creative TGL... I can't help but be a little frightened though, reminds me of something from the SAW MOVIES..

lol kidding!

5. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Nice work, thegoodlife!

KLM likes this.
  6. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

WOW! I am truly impressed!

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

8. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Nice! [:D] Never heard of them before but I imagine they'll be receiving some business from me!!

9. riverwalker

riverwalker Member

It would be nice if the tire rest pivoted as well, then the weight would be centered on the tire.

10. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I like the leveler.

11. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

I actually tried to make it that way but did not make the frame wide enough. The tire rest would only pivot a little bit before hitting the frame. Instead of redoing the whole thing, I just cut the pivot assembly off and welded the tire rest to the frame.

12. riverwalker

riverwalker Member

I think it rocks , might have to tinker on one for myself:)

13. dman2

dman2 Enjoy life!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like the jack is welded in place. I will be making one but not weld the jack in case of a flat on the pup it would come in handy.