My Homemade Outdoor Galley

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by hsr, Oct 6, 2012.

1. hsr

hsr Member

Built this to replace the Cabela's Deluxe Camp kitchen. It was just too big (especially to store inside the PUP), heavy and had no easy way to level.

Want to give credit to both Xolthrax and dmwoct19 for giving me inspiration in my design. Sort of combined what they did, along with a couple ideas of my own.

I'm cheap (as in in-expensive), so I started with this 4' x 8' piece of white coated hardboard. It's like a dry erase board:
    [​IMG]
    Had to cut off about 4" of damaged material, ending up with two table tops that are 22" x 48". Netting me 14.6 square feet of "kitchen" counter top space.

Then using this aluminum angle:
    [​IMG]

Cut the corners like this:
    [​IMG]

Made some brackets like these: (the "U" shaped ones came from a piece of square tubing)
    [​IMG]

Riveted them together like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until I ended up with these (the tops are held to the frames with clear silicone and stainless screws countersunk in from the topsides and are held to each other with Liquid Nails).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, being cheap and not wanting to spend $20 each on the legs (sliding door security braces like Joe used) but still wanting adjust-ability to level the tables, found these at Menard's on sale for $3.98 (normally $4.98):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have this nifty little point on the bottom to push into the ground to help prevent movement:
    [​IMG]

Cut about this much off of each part of them:
    [​IMG]

and I have table legs...

Attached them to the tops with stainless hardware like so (btw, the cleats on the sink end for hanging a trash bag and by the PUP's door for hanging a shoe caddy):
    [​IMG]

And - Ta~Da!!! I've got a table. It's attached to the PUP with a standard 2 piece outdoor appliance/table hanger track that I got at General RV for under $5.
    [​IMG]

Riveted on a 20" length of 1/16" x 2" aluminum flat as a flange to attach the two tables together (the screws are held to the sink table with nuts all the time). And just use wing nuts for quick attach/detach of the two tables from each other.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The legs needed an anti folding device. So I bought a 4' piece of 3/16" rod, cut it into four 1' sections, threaded one end for a wing nut and bent both ends like so:
    [​IMG]

Painted them silver and attached them to the table frames with push nuts:
    [​IMG]

And we have leg braces (run Forest!!! Run!!!)
    [​IMG]

Got these cool towel bars at IKEA and added them to the front side of the sink table:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut a hole for the bar sink I found on Craigslist for $5, dropped it in and I have a KITCHEN!
    [​IMG]

Sorry, it's just camp driveway at the moment. Going Halloween camping weekend after next and I'll get some pictures of the galley in action. Including the Eccotemp L5 water heater and grey water drain courtesy of Flash82

Breaking it down:
    [​IMG]

Legs folded:
    [​IMG]

Where it stows:
    [​IMG]

And just how little space it takes compared to that bulky thing I used before...
    [​IMG]

So far, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Will update that after it's seen some real action and with the full plumbing installed pictures.

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Love it, patent pending? [8D]

3. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Very nice job. I love DIY projects.

4. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Very nice setup and wow that is excellent workmanship.

5. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I am most impressed. I'm definitely keeping this for some inspiration of my own DIY projects.

6. Cant Wait

Cant Wait New Member

Very nice work I need to invest in some more tools, when I have inspiration

7. mh29803

mh29803 New Member

WOW!

Very nice, simple and lightweight.

8. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

Nice work - great story. Enjoyed following yout trek as you acquired the many parts :)

9. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Great job! Enjoyed your step by step details making your new addition!

10. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Very, very nice! Our Cabela wash stand is nice, but I think it's unnecessary to take unless we camp for longer than a weekend. It takes up too much space and too limited in its applications. This is awesome---minimal storage space required and maximum usage options. Definitely think you should consider that 'patent pending' comment [:D]

11. hsr

hsr Member

Thank you all for such great, kind comments.

Mamabean5,

Don't know why, but when I read your post, was hit with the thought that I should add a third leg and stove/table hanger to the sink table in the event I just want to use that one outside by itself.

Anyway, thanks again!

12. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

I think that would be a great addition. I'll be expecting a credit when you market this! [:D]

(love your Flex---I've got one too)
    :)

13. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

WOW!!! [8D]

14. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Thanks for the idea!

15. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

First off, it looks excellent. Nice job. Thumbs up.

My only question is.... how well does the white hardboard stand up to water. (spilled out of the sink, off an ice filled beverage cup, rain?) I've used white Masonite in plenty of projects around the house, and whenever water gets on it, it absorbs it, swells, gets fat, the white paint flakes off after it dries, looks like crap in the end. You may wind up having to put a layer of Formica (or some kind of) counter top material over top of the Masonite. You can buy it on a roll in many colors, put it on with contact cement, and its not too heavy.

See how it goes, great job.

16. hsr

hsr Member

Thanks Wrench, couldn't remember the name of the material (Masonite).

So far, it's repelling water just fine. The dry sides are pointed at each other and the edges all the way around are covered in silicone. I was looking at the sink hole figuring I will need to coat that with something as well.

Surprisingly, the counter tops of my Cabela's Deluxe Outdoor Camp Kitchen were also made of Masonite. It was about five years old when I sold it and holding up just fine.

If these turn out to be an issue, I will just remake them with real laminate as you suggested.

17. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

We have a Cabals camp stand and put in our screened in room even on short weedend trips gotta have it under a roof and outside we got rid of our set up inside and do all our cooking and dishes out side.

18. hsr

hsr Member

Think I will pick up one of THESE on the way home to put around the sink hole. Silicone should hold it in place and add some extra stiffness to the opening.

19. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Nice Job hsr. I have been thinking of doing something like this for a while. You have given me some inspiration.

20. Pnyglfr

Pnyglfr New Member

Very nice.