My idea for state parks

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Apr 6, 2020.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

So our state parks are closed for overnight camping...But day use is fine.
    I don't get it...I can show up at 7 am and fish all day and picnic until the gates close at 10 PM.
    Sure most wont do that and i kinda see what they are trying to do.
    Here's my solution....

Trim the number of campsites in any given park by half or more.
    You can stagger the available spots and put a red flag on spots off limits.
    This creates distance between campers.
    They can close all the modern restrooms and showers and only leave outhouses open.
    If you spend all day fishing and hiking and wandering throughout the park...Whats the difference between that and being at your campsite around the fire at bedtime?

Just a idea i was thinking that may allow us to at least get out more during this time as well as being cautious.

2. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

It's reasonable, but you'd also have to limit it to in state campers. None of us should be traveling any further than needed.

3. firepit

I Agree...Also First come first serve...And put a limit of 2 nights or something.
    The park i go to most has roughly 200 + spots and before the closing last week i counted 15 total campers on a Saturday
    when i was there visiting my brother.

Also no out of state campers either...Post a bulletin and if show up.
    That's on you...You will be turned away.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Rik Peery likes this.
  4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

That sounds a lot like TX did. Except: All bathrooms are closed (must be self contained), no at park registration (must be done online), larger sites of which all can be booked, No interaction with Camp office - you have to do online check-in and print your car pass and reservations.

firepit likes this.
  5. firepit

I wish they would take my advice...I emailed them and was told no dice on my idea.
    I figured they would but i tried.

I can show up at 6 am and be there till the gate closes at 10 pm but i can't camp overnight.
    Not really seeing the difference but what do i know.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I’m sorry Firepit I probably should know this but what state are you in?

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

@tenttrailer - I am surprised they did that - been wondering if it was possible to (essentially) discriminate against certain types of camping/ campers. Here in WI campgrounds are closed through 4/30... my first reservation is 5/1... really hoping the closure doesn’t get extended or if it does, that they allow self contained units.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That's what I was thinking before they closed everything. Why couldn't the campgrounds only accept self contained units only and every other site open that would give the social distance needed. Especially since day use areas were open. I agree though it would probably only encourage out of staters to be on the road. Too many people are brushing this virus off and risking others though ,so I get why they had to shut everything down because people are being stupid. My brother is one of them sadly.

Rik Peery, kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I think they did not want bathrooms that would be a collection point for germs and they greatly wanted to reduce the risk to their staff.

Somehow TX has been doing the selective type campers for years. Before the virus. We camped in TX at Big Bend State park with our MH. They have a CG with 4 CS's that is at least 15 miles to anyone/anything except the road and 300 yards to the Mexican border and there is nothen over the boarder for miles. You must be self contained to rent the spot. There is picnic table, fire pit, and no other services at the CG including no bathrooms.

neighbormike likes this.
  10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I think part of the reasoning is to discourage travel. Overnight camping attracts more people from farther away, and this drastically increases the risk of transmission for the majority of people. Extra trips to stores for food, gas stops, rest stops, fast food in transit etc. If you limit state parks to day use the reasoning may be that only more local people will be going for the day.

Sure you and I would take proper precautions to get there and back, but the vast majority of people wouldn't, and that is where the danger is.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats basicly it, people suck is the norm , not us but others. Goverments, campgrounds and the like have been forced to take the all or nothing approach. Because people can not stay within the guidelines that were given. Its easier to contain and controll a campground if its shut down at night rather then have patrols breaking up gatherings. Sad but true. You should see everyone not following the rules around here. First they tried to fence off the playground equipment and remove the benches, then just have walking areas and shut down gathering points. That didnt work so they had to close the parks outright.

Rik Peery likes this.
  12. firepit

But golf courses remain open here...i just watched some goon who runs a country club talking and showing workers cleaning and wiping down golf carts for the next batch of golfers....really?...i guess i picked the wrong hobby

13. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

As I pointed out in another thread, kids in a campground are going to band together. A lot of nominal adults can convince themselves they're the exception; most kids wouldn't stand a chance against that temptation.

Watch for the fall spike they're predicting as well—even if we get a reprieve through the summer, we could easily have a mini-bounce come September/October.

Rik Peery and xxxapache like this.
  14. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

I think it is because of the collage kids that are the concern. Over spring break, they had several thousand that flooded Florida and California. I think they are concerned about those that get drunk and cause problems. They don't want to put others in problems with partying types that don't care.

What they should do is prohibit alcohol and open to only family types, not large groups 17-21 yr olds that are there only to party. Let the older couples and families only for limited stays, like 3 days and in state only.

15. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

What Sneezer said pretty much; Virginia state parks/rural areas are tempting spots to ride this crap out for folks from hard hit areas along the east coast w/ all the campsites/cabins, imagine the travel = spread thought plays into the equation although you won't here it from those in charge...anything that's open would be a magnet for tourists, such as Wally Wild, food stores, etc...

16. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Our town police are taking the approach of educating rather than ticketing. Our county proclamation says no gathering in parks or playgrounds, public or private. The exception is your own backyard playground. So the police are out breaking up kids gathering at playgrounds, their parents are treating it like a snow day. It seems to be working. We are in the fourth week of lock down, and I do not see the gatherings.

Even the Tobacco Trail is getting better. There's still that odd family (either they have a lot of kids or the nieces and nephews are with them) that plug up block the trail. Again, thankfully, I'm only seeing one or two plug families out on the trail.

We seem to be doing okay with flattening the curve. I think the big concern is out of state travelers. Some NC counties have shut down completely with road blocks to prevent non county folks from entering. Trying to make it clear, no out of state travelers flooding in.

Our town has things locked down until April 30th. At which point they will evaluate and decide whether to continue lock down. Hopefully the data allows for restart of normal life in May :)

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I truly hope so. I’d be tempted to tell the boss, “I’ll see you in a week. I’ve worked from home enough, I want to see something other than my 4 walls.“ Then again, I think half the world willing be doing just that when this is over with.

18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

NJ is closing all state parks effective at 8:00 PM tonight (April 7th). I think the issue is groups of people are still gathering together in the parks and the Gov had no choice!

Rik Peery likes this.
  19. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

20. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Purell spray sanitizer is going to be standard camping gear in the near future. Campground signs "sanitize before use" Lol. Why not?

Rik Peery likes this.