My J-channel gutter mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by TRR, Jul 27, 2016.

1. TRR

TRR Active Member

Here's my take on the J-channel gutter mod for draining AC condensate and other water from the roof neatly:

I took a length of vinyl siding J-channel and trimmed the back edge so that the height of the back edge (where the nailer strip is) starts out only about 1" high on the right-side (door-side) end, and goes to full height on the left-side (back-side) end. That ensures that the bottom of the gutter slopes from one side of the camper to the other when installed.

The back edge then slips up into the gap between the aluminum roof trim and the rubber seal.

To be sure the J-channel gutter stays put, I added some snaps and short straps. For the snaps, I just removed the screws under the roof edge that hold the aluminum roof trim in place, ground the screw heads so they would fit inside a snap connector, and put them back in place. That gave me 4 anchor points under the edge of the roof. Then I added one more snap connector to the outside of the roof at the end of the center channel. The straps with the other half of the snap connectors are attached to the J-channel with pop-rivets.

The gutter gets installed when the popup roof is raised about 1 foot while setting up. Easy to reach then to slip the J-channel in place and fasten the snaps.

When installed, the gutter hangs out past the back side wall about 6" to drain the water away from the tenting. I level the camper so that corner is slightly lower than the others so the water naturally runs that way.

For traveling, the gutter stows in the awning bag with awning poles. One of the awning poles fits nicely inside the J-channel so it hardly takes up any extra space in the awning bag.

The following pictures should make it much simpler than it sounds in the description above.

Here's the J-channel with the back trimmed and the snap-straps attached:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is installed on the camper:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot of one of the snaps underneath the roof edge:
    [​IMG]

2. bloodbanker

bloodbanker New Member

Nice. I'll be doing this this week. Didn't think about the snaps. Where did you get them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PUP 2011 Jayco 1006
    TV 2004 GMC Sierra

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Nice job! Now it just has to rain. [{}=]

4. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Very nice. After seeing how the rain runs off my roof, and onto the canvas by the lift post, I have been wondering about a way to divert that outward some more. I might be able to incorporate something like this, I will need to examine a little more closely.

5. TRR

TRR Active Member

Walmart in the sewing/crafts section. Strap material came from Walmart too.

Here's a tip: Walmart sells strap material in both the sewing/crafts section and in the camping section. Same price in both sections, but the camping section strap is longer and comes with buckles. Better deal. [emoji57]

6. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

How do you attach the snaps to the gutter and to the underside of the roof?

7. TRR

TRR Active Member

One side of the snaps attaches to the strap material using the little tools that come in the snap kit. You can use a hammer to assemble the snap but I prefer a vise. It gives more control over how much crimping gets done between the 'female' snap components. Then the other end of the short strap attaches to the gutter with a pop rivet (backed by a small washer so the rivet doesn't pull through the gutter).

The 'male' part of the snap attaches to the underside of the roof with a screw. I reused the screws that hold on the edge trim. I had to grind down the screw heads to fit inside the snaps.

8. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Thank you! That helps me a lot and I appreciate you posting your idea for keeping the gutters up there-very clever.

9. SuperHigh

SuperHigh New Member

These images are no longer there. Do you have pics?

Sparewife likes this.
  10. TRR

TRR Active Member

0727160827-00.jpg 0727160827-01.jpg 0727160828-00.jpg 0727160828-01.jpg 0727160836-00.jpg 0727160836-01.jpg 0727160836-02.jpg 0727160836-03.jpg

Skidz, zak99b5 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. IndyRick

IndyRick Active Member

Thanks! I'll do that, too, but I'll use magnets for attachment (I use magnets a lot).

Dstinnett875 likes this.