My J-Channel Mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Whiteycracker, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

I gave it the good old college try at the J-Channel condensate A/C drain/run off. I bought the channel and put it at an angle to help aid in the run off. I dry fit it to the camper and trimmed it accordingly. I installed Gorilla double sided adhesive tape. It's rated pretty good for heat and cold. I then applied Dicor to the top and bottom of the rail. So glad I didn't have to use any type of screws. I installed the run off rail at an angle to the back side of the camper with the slide out since we don't really go to that side when camping. I left about a 3 inch over hang to make sure the vinyl doesn't get wet. The rail is on pretty darn good...it doesn't budge at all. So I think going down the road will not be an issue at all. Filed the edges so they aren't sharp.I still have some touching up to do...but it's pretty much done and I am satisfied as for the DW. I just like the fact that I don't have to remember to install something while setting up. It's pretty much permanent of sorts. Also plan on using a left over section of pipe insulation to put over the part that hangs out to protect my Carver Cover when stored. Here's a few images, don't mind my messy garage.

Attached Files:

JPBar and megcabra like this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Nice looking job. Good choice on not using screws, IMO.

Whiteycracker likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Nicely done. I'm going to need to do this myself although with my luck I'm going to break the section that hangs over off by walking around the camper when trying to set up. Im curious did you get to test it out yet?

4. Whiteycracker

Thanks all.
    Yes I did. Works like a CHARM!! The angle of it helps. I also just slightly put the camper off level just a hair to the rear....even though my roof is curved.Just to make sure that's where the condensation goes. I too was thinking about if I walk into it about breaking it. That's why I bought a few sections for around $4 for I believe 12' section.There were different sizes of J channel. I picked out the smallest that Menards had. I was thinking about painting the piece that hangs out orange or some obnoxious color to see it...lol But the DW didn't like that idea. I've since trimmed the Dicor back a bit so it doesn't look so sloppy. I am actually liking this mod. And days later its still not moving. I shook on it pretty darn hard and it has hardly any movement.I was thinking about doing one on the front with the extra section I have, but thought it was overkill and it has never drained to the front of the PUP.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Good idea to help with the water run off. The person who breaks that off will be some random guy that you won't even see. You'll be on your way to the park, or on a road trip. You'll be parked at the gas pumps, or you'll be in a fast food place picking something up for the drive. Meanwhile, some random walks past it, without paying attention to what he's doing, and he will catch it with his elbow, and before you know it, it's gone. Hopefully it twists and flexes enough that it will spring out of the way and not snap off.

And, I wish my garage was that clean....I can hardly move in mine.

Whiteycracker likes this.
  6. Whiteycracker

I agree. As me and the DW were talking about it. I always keep some extra Dicor and various types of tapes for those "just in case" moments. But if it snaps off I'll be screwed..lol Good thing is that it's only about 3 inches of protruding. If someone is that close to my camper I'll have an issue..but your correct. It'll be from a stranger most likely.

7. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

This is what I did. It works like it should (just rain last night). Held on by some 1/2 inch by 2 inch velcro strip, can be removed if needed.

Attached Files:

jnc and Whiteycracker like this.
  8. Whiteycracker

I actually "RAN" into it a few times over my trip this past weekend.....NOT an issue with braking it! Now I am sure if I was running full force damage could have happened. I LOVE THIS MOD!!

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Looks good Jp!

10. William Freeman

William Freeman Active Member

I was thinking about doing a "different kind" of J channel mod on mine. Mine will be secured to the roof in some way. One end will be capped off and slid under the A/C drain hole. The other end will protrude over the rear of the camper, probably at an angle, so that it won't run over the bunk end. Planning on doing this so that the water won't sit on, and run off, the roof. I'm hoping that I can put enough fall on the J channel so that I don't have to set up the camper off level.