My knock-down shelf mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by colorado_camper, May 8, 2011.

1. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

First, let me say this isn't really my shelf mod, it's ours! The ideas you guys have created and shared on here led me to this design. This thing is perhaps not yet complete because it's only "so" stable and I want to take it on a trip in a couple of weeks to see how it does before I finalize it. This isn't going to carry much weight so it shouldn't cause it to lean forward much. I have added 820 square inches of shelf space that I didn't have yesterday morning!!

I didn't want to add much clutter to the counter top so I designed it to go up instead of out.
    [​IMG]

I have a gap behind the hinged counter wide enough to fit a leg into. The back of the gap is the bed slider.
    [​IMG]

The leg holds the weight and the square part on the counter top adds stability.
    [​IMG]

The counter space is also the indoor home for my stove, although I usually cook outside. During my recent snow trip, I found it better to keep the stove inside, hence the height of the first shelf.
    [​IMG]

The distance between the two shelves is about 7 inches.
    [​IMG]

The joint above the square section is not glued so it can be turned 90° for stowing. Here it is laid flat for transport.
    [​IMG]

....and with the sink stowed over it.
    [​IMG]

Materials list with costs:-
    2 @ 3/4" x 10' PVC pipe $3.46
    8 @ 3/4" PVC Elbow $2.40
    9 @ 3/4" PVC Tee $2.70
    1 @ 3/4" PVC Cross $1.70
    3 @ 3/4" PVC Cap $1.05
    8oz PVC Clear Glue $4.18
    3 @ 24" Single Shelf Support $8.01
    6 @ 8" Single Shelf Brace $13.56
    1 @ 1" x 8" x 8' Pine Board $8.98

Total $46.04

Which translates to $0.056c per square inch! [:D]

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Nice idea. Looks like it sets up quick.

3. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Very nicely designed. Love the fold flat versus disassembing method. Have you loaded the shelfs with can goods or anything heavy yet? My only concern would be stability once it was loaded down with heavier items. Someone walking in the door and maybe have the pup shift a little. Maybe a "safety" strap of some sort tied into the top bracing to prevent forward lean/tip IF the camper rocked? Kind of like what they give you for tall furniture to prevent tip over/forward? Could even be a velcro strap or something screwed to the top horizontal rail and then attached to the ceiling/wall or maybe even the pup canvas velcro somewhere.

NICE JOB!

4. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Thanks for the comments. Stability is definitely an issue although the unit cannot fall anywhere because of the small gap that the leg stands in. I wish I would have thought of canned goods when it was set up. [:I] I decided to leave it until my next trip out, in 2 weeks, to load it with stuff that I actually have on a trip and see how it does. The leg is not yet glued on because I think that, if it is not stable enough, I will adjust it there and replace the 3 end caps with 3 more elbows which I will trim down on the horizontal until they fit tight between the back of the cabinet and the front of the bed slider. That should stabilize it.

5. TheShulaShack

TheShulaShack New Member

nice =)

6. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

Great job! That is something worth sharing.

7. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

I see that weight and stability might be an issue.....however......from this women's point of view...just getting the salt/pepper, poptarts, napkins, cocoa mix off the counter and out of the way is a huge help in keeping the pup neat and tidy. On my shelving unit, I found some wire framed/canvas sided bins that are almost no weight to further tidy things up. It's all a work in progress and you'll be forever making adjustments. Good work!!!!

8. zee

zee Member

Nice mod!

9. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

For stability, you may want to consider buying some wooden dowels from a craft store that will fit inside the PVC. If you put them inside the long sections it should make it much more stable and should not add much more weight.

10. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Again, thanks for the comments. The stability issue is not in the vertical stiffness, it's that the bottom of the foot is not quite wide enough to fill the gap between the back of the cabinet and the bed slider. This causes it to shift forward (away from the window) and might dump items off the shelves. If I have time (and weather) this Saturday, I will open it again and work on it some more.

11. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Nice work colorado_camper.

12. Agcflash

Agcflash Lets Go Camping!!!

Nice JOB!

13. dman2

dman2 Enjoy life!!!!!!!!!!

I like the idea very much and will be making one. I will add small furring strips around the perimeter of the 2 top shelves to help stop things from falling from falling off.
    I find sometimes when it's windy the popup moves a bit and if something fell off in the middle of the night i may think it's the wife's boyfriend sneeking out.
    Great job keep up the good work.

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Wow, this is absolutely genius! I am going to use the idea of having the rear legs go behind the counter like that. I would have never thought of it. And the fact that it folds flat is amazing.

15. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Stability issue resolved. I just got to this this afternoon and thought I'd add a picture for those wishing to use this idea. As I thought, just extending the back of the leg out to meet the bed slider made this unit much more stable. I added an extra 3/4" PVC Tee to the leg so it is sitting on the slider and then added a couple of shims made of 1/4" poplar to the other two legs. [:D]

The original leg in the first design.
    [​IMG]

The modified leg. The Tee had about a 1/4" cut off the horizontal part to fit nicely.
    [​IMG]

16. GWolfe

GWolfe New Member

That is a great shelf system, nice work.

17. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Nice final solution to the stability issue. I think you found the winner there!

18. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Great job :)

One of the many things I love about pop up camping and those who own them is the ingenuity that is shown by owners like you.

The bigger hardside / hybrid / 5'er campers may already have all the space needed & bells and whistles in them, but the pop up owners are a resourceful bunch of folks with amazing ideas.

19. TheLazyJs

TheLazyJs New Member

Looks great. Should get a lot of use out of that. :)

20. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Again, thanks to all for the positive comments. I'm heading for them thar hills this weekend so this mod will be put through it's paces and we'll see how it does.