My latest money saving tip

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by superdaddio, Aug 11, 2011.

1. superdaddio

superdaddio New Member

We live in Northwest Ohio, close to the Michigan line. Our Ohio trailer plates need to be renewed yearly. Popup & utility....
    I've learned that Michigan will sell "permanent trailer" plates to people from out of state. Trailers under 2500 lbs are $75.00. A camper with a title costs $90 & they never have to be renewed. No inspections(in Ohio you're automatically a thief) & they send the new Michigan title to you(Ohio makes everything vehicle related as inconvenient as possible). No need to return to pick up your title. The catch? The state of Michigan would like you to use your trailer in their state at least 50% of the time..... [::)] Doing the math, this will pay for itself in about 2 years. I know 5 people who have done this(jetski trailers to landscape trailers), including us, & thought I'd share the savings.
    So we live in Ohio(Go Bucks!) but have a Michigan plate on our trailers....

2. jdd120

jdd120 New Member

Since camping in MI is AMAZING, I would say that's an easy bargain :)

3. superdaddio

superdaddio New Member

Yeah, that wasn't too tough of a pill to swallow! Hopefully our plate dollars go towards improving your roads.....

4. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Interesting! How do they verify that?

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'm surprised the state of Ohio allows that. Here, if you live in Washington and if the vehicle (car or trailer) is kept in Washington and used in Washington at all, it must have Washington plates. Vehicles arriving from out of state have 30 days to register in Washington.

6. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

You report that the trailer has been sold or otherwise indicate to the state that vehicle is no longer "domiciled" by you in the state of Ohio and don't change any of your other registrations. They might also cross reference it against insurance records (if the state requires vehicle insurance). In any case, Michigan might allow it but if you live and store the vehicle in Ohio, their laws apply and you might have a hard time convincing a Judge that just using it sometimes in Michigan voids your responsibilities under Ohio law.

Back fee/taxes, interest and penalties? you might want to check with a local tax attorney to just make sure it isn't too be good to be true.

7. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

I meant how does Michigan verify that you are using the trailer in Michigan at least 50% of the time.

8. superdaddio

superdaddio New Member

As far as Ohio is concerned, its no longer titled here, so it doesn't exist. Michigan would be the one looking for insurance on the trailer & they don't care where the garage is located that it sits in. Or where the person thats paying for said insurance resides. They're looking for dollars......
    Had a statie(trooper) pull out & follow me for a bit on the Ohio Turnpike this past week. Probably checking the registration of the Ohio vehicle pulling the Michigan camper(again, in Ohio its common knowledge that EVERYONE is a thief, just ask a Statie or title bureau worker). As far as they know, I have a cabin in Michigan....
    That said, this is becoming a common practice in this area. Just thought I'd share.

9. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

Sounds like a good way to get a ticket and have your trailer impounded for not complying with the laws of your own state. Not worth it.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have the same question as Starcrafty: How does Michigan verify that people who do this deal actually use their trailer in Michigan 50% of the time? Put another way, how do they know how many times a year you use it and where you use it each time?

11. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

I just find it hard to know why states are always short of money for roads and bridge repair when there are millions of trailers, cars, trucks, boats, RVs, PWCs, etc.... that are registered in every state.....my questions is WHERE IS ALL THE MONEY!!!!!! Where is all the government money, our tax money to the feds... look around there is a tax on practically everything you own, or want to do, there is a tax....where is the money! Our roads are bad, the bridges are falling apart, water lines are always busting in this town, the entire united states infrastuctor is literally falling apart around and under neath us. I don't see my tax money being used for what is was intended to be used for..or else we would not have the problems we face right now. Where is the money?

JJ

12. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

We want you money. I live on the Mi/Ohio Line also above Toledo. What he is saying is true and I see it all the time.

We have Toledo Cops living in Michigan "Even though they could lose there jobs"

Ohio is good for food, and gas since it is cheaper, but you plates cost more and for a car you need 2.

were in Ohio are you?

Also wanted to know how they know you camp 50% of the time in Michigan.

13. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

Put a "I love Michigan" sticker on the bumper and call it good. I have one that says "If your not Dutch your not much" With that they will know your from Mich.
    They will know your being sneaky with the Buckeye sticker on there. Better cover that up with a Spartans sticker real soon.

14. superdaddio

superdaddio New Member

We're 20 miles west on Toledo. Unless you're one of the sphincter police thats predicting the stealth helicopters are going to start hovering over my house with their mind control rays(again) since I have 1 out-of-state plate on my seldom used popup camper. Then we live out by Fayette...... [;{}]

15. tamranthor

tamranthor New Member

Or, you could just live in Wisconsin and not buy a license for your PUP at all. [A]

16. bruceac1

bruceac1 Member

Here in the western part of TX, the mayor, asked all residents to report out of state plates to the police. What was interesting is since we live on the border of Mexico, you would think he would be worried more about out of country plates, but nope. Unfortunately since we have a large military presence here there are a lot of out of state plates to choose from. It was a mess for a while, and the Army complained about it so it finally died down.

17. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

Yes here in Wisconsin we need a title but plates are optional.

18. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

We camp at Harrison Lake a lot. Know right were you are. truly if they let you do it I would not think twice about it.

19. superdaddio

superdaddio New Member

I'm not losing any sleep over it. I know a number of people that have done this & none of them have had any issues with it.
    I just wanted to share with other people.