My LED experience

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by PDieter, Jun 15, 2013.

1. PDieter

PDieter Member

I have a couple older threads but the photo links are all down. I just put up a photobucket just for the pup so now I can pull photos back in. I thought I'd just put up a new thread with the bulk of my experience.

First I swapped out the ceiling fixtures with really cheap LED's off of amazon. they're kinda blue but I don't care. Then I needed lighting for my outdoor kitchen area and made a 30"strip light for it. I've been very happy with this and found that it even fit perfectly the snap loops on my ceiling for door storage right over the inside stove.

[​IMG]

Some epoxy, aluminum channel, a strip of LED's (led wholesalers on Amazon), wire and an acrylic half round sanded for difusion (tap plastics here in Sea).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided a short strip of 3 might do the step light...works perfect
    [​IMG]

if I don't put up the canopy it works on the riser, I tagged the wire into the step light so it's shares the switch.
    [​IMG]

Wire connectors make it so I can run at different locations. I have the one on the step light switch and one behind the inside stove
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've used this set up for a year now with no issues nor regrets. This week while set up in the front yard I had the opportunity to run the lights (all of them) for 7 hours straight without the solar hooked up. After resting the battery it showed no loss of voltage.

2. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

What is your wiring schematic?

Are you going direct from 12V Bat to LED?

3. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Is the L.E.D. light outside as prone to attracting bugs as a typical white light?

4. PDieter

PDieter Member

I suspect it is.

Yes

5. Bama Camper1

Bama Camper1 New Member

I wired the LED strip above the step also and need to mist it with some yellow paint to keep the bugs away.

6. sonicblaze

sonicblaze New Member

From what I've read they are not. Bugs are attracted towards a specific range of UV light that is absent in LEDs. The same reason yellow lights are supposed to be better than white lights,because that yellow is supposed to filter out more of the UV range that bugs are attracted to. But...that's just what I've read up on =)

7. carlr

carlr New Member

That is true about the UV range. I work in the electrical supply business
    and sell LED lighting of all configurations and styles. I have not tried using it
    yet myself however.

8. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

the advantage of LED's is they emit light is very specific frequencies.

being that they are not white light filtered to specific colors (such as older traffic lights)
    you will get a TRUE color (Green ~ 550 nm, Yellow [SIZE=78%]~ 520 nm, Red [/SIZE][/size][SIZE=78%]~ 440 nm).[/SIZE]

This is part of the reason why NEW LED signals look so vibrant (besides pulsing).

So, you find out which bugs you don't want, look up what frequencies they are
    attracted to and pick which LED's you want to use.

or get a zapper.

9. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Where did all the pictures go?? [?:~{]

10. imakaratefiend

imakaratefiend New Member

He turned them off! [:D]