My new 3 way absorption refer

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Leslie Chasse, Jun 29, 2020 at 7:04 PM.

1. Leslie Chasse

Leslie Chasse New Member

The portable unit works excellent, but it's also slightly too tall. Won't fit under the slide in bunks for fold up.

So here's the question. Since this unit does not have a compressor, can I lay an absorption refer be transported on it’s side safely without hurting the unit or it's ability to cool.

Other than that, does anybody have any suggestions? I got a screaming deal on this thing, and it chills great. Sure hope I can make it work.

Leslie

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

By 3 way, its hooked up to propane, ac and dc? Are you hooking it up each time ? Where will the lines go? How much clwarance do you need?

3. Leslie Chasse

Leslie Chasse New Member

Generally it's plugged into A/C, except when transporting then it's plugged into 12 just to maintain cold. The propane is used when roughing it with no hook ups.
    It remains very open behind the unit. The cooling fins are the warmest aspect. The tiny little propane flame is smaller than a bic lighter on low. When using propane as you might expect, there must be ventilation and the back must remain uncluttered for cooling.

However, I've decided to buy a 12v cigarette lighter and transport it in the back of the pickup when traveling. Safer, and much less likely to harm the unit.

4. Sjm9911

What I was getting at is that you connect and disconnect it on every trip? Sounds like a pita. Can you remove the countertop above it to get the space you need? Or take off leveling feet? Next idea is to cut a hole in the floor of the pup, then put support around the hole to keep the walls in line. Add some steel strapping in the bottem and drop the fridge in. As long as you have clearance in the bottem to the door it may work, thats why i wanted messurments. All good though.

5. Leslie Chasse

Leslie Chasse New Member

I used and connect to each of the the power sources, as needed.
    It's not mounted in a cabinet. It's a self contained, stand alone unit.
    Even with the leveling feet off, it's still a good 2 inches too tall.
    I have no intention of cutting the pup and risking it's water tight integrity.

6. Sjm9911

All good just ideas.[:D]

7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

• if its a conventional ammonia based absorption refer, - it must be "upright" in order to work. Gravity is part of what makes it work.

tombiasi likes this.
  8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I would put it in the TV for travel. These fridges don't react well to being on their sides. At minimum you would need to keep it upright for a couple hours to get all the ammonia to settle back down. The also won't work unless they are level, so no putting it on its side and running it.

I have a similar fridge, but mine is 12V/110V only, and it also travels in the back of my Aspen, plugged into the 12V. However - last time I ran an extension cord from the inverter and it seemed to be happier on the longer trip. They make pretty decent 2nd fridges, which is what I use mine for.

9. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I don't think you can transport the Fridge on its side. I'd ask the manufacturer about that before I did.