My new Canoe

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by GreatBigAbyss, Jul 18, 2018.

1. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

So, I am indeed very lucky to have the father that I do.

About 15 years ago, my Dad, who was an avid fisherman, decided he wanted a new canoe with which to go fly-fishing. Rather than go out and buy a generic canoe, he decided he wanted something a little nicer, and was willing to put up the work, time and money to realize his ambition.

He built himself a cedar-strip canoe. I helped him with it a little bit. In no way can I claim that I built it, however, I put some effort into it, which makes this all the more special.

Anyway, now he is older, he no longer fishes, and for the last six years the canoe just hung from his garage ceiling, gathering dust. I asked him this spring if I could borrow the canoe a few times throughout the summer. I wanted to take it to Rushing River, as well as on our big, upcoming Banff trip. He said yes.

Well, when I went to pick up the canoe a couple of weeks ago (to get ready for Rushing River), he told me that he doesn't see himself using it any more, and that I may as well just keep the canoe.

So, without further ado, here is the canoe:
    20180701_110129.jpg
    20180701_110448.jpg

Here is the canoe loaded on the trailer two weekends ago, ready to leave to Rushing River:
    20180705_130012.jpg

And here we are at Rushing River. We went and explored some islands. Not pictured is the other Dad who came along with me (the two older kids are his - we rented a kayak for the elder girl, and the two younger kids came with us in the canoe).
    20180707_103636.jpg

So, anyway, I am CHUFFED to bits to have been given such a beautiful object, especially something that my Dad put so much work and love into. This summer, the canoe will see the waters of Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. A classic Canadian Canoe, on two classic Canadian lakes.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Beautiful craftsmanship. I've been wanting to make myself a kayak but sadly just don't have a safe place to store it. There is a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in making these beautiful pieces of work. May your family have many adventures with it and pass it down to future generations.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Beautiful craftsmanship. I've been wanting to make myself a kayak but sadly just don't have a safe place to store it. There is a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in making these beautiful pieces of work. May your family have many adventures with it and pass it down to future generations.

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

What a pretty canoe! I'd be afraid to take it out for fear of scuffing it but I bet your dad is pleased that you did.

5. GreatBigAbyss

Oh, that canoe needs to be revarnished. It's been well used and enjoyed, being dragged along rocks and up onto beaches. The bottom of it is full of scratches. The beauty of a cedar strip canoe is that is finished with epoxy that dries clear, and then varnished. The idea is that the varnish gets scratched, and every couple of years you revarnish to get rid of all the scratches.

Cedar Strip canoes, while beautiful, are meant to be used. And this one has been, and shall be.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

That is a beautiful canoe use it gently. I had a friend that had a cedar strip canoe that was also (as most are) hand made and it too was gorgeous and handle like a dream. I have a friend that gave me an old wood frame / canvass covered Old Town kayak, I just have to get time and ambition to pick it up Thanks sharing for the pictures . Good Luck and Keep On paddling

7. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Nice, I've got 2, an Old Town Pack (solo 12 ft) and an Old Town Discovery 169. My next boat may be a folding canoe made by Pakboats. I've had lots of kayaks too but I love the roominess of a canoe for wilderness paddling/camping.

8. GreatBigAbyss

Cool. Those are plastic, right?

Mine (my Dad's) is a Prospector Ranger 15.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  9. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Beautiful canoe! And all the more special that your Dad built it. I have quite a few pieces of furniture and other items that have been passed down through your family, but I would LOVE to have a hand-built canoe among the mix. Imagine your grandchildren realizing what they've inherited in years to come! :)

10. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I have a royalex bell chestnut prospector 16 foot In the gararage shown here getting annual wood treatments 66162740-45EB-45D8-BB9F-CB05EFAE4091.jpeg

Mr_Custom likes this.
  11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

That is a really nice looking canoe..but got to tell ys...i loved the story behind it. Imagining the wonderful times of a son and father working together on such a cherished project.. just brings warmth to my heart.

12. Dan from Troup

Yes, both Old Towns are plastic and Pakboat a skin on tubular frame. The the OT 169 is very heavy at 100 pounds but makes a great multi week tripping canoe for 2. My OT Pack is my solo boat and weighs a mere 35 pounds. If I get a 16' foldable Pakboat I can reduce the weight of a tandem boat by nearly half and about the weight of these strip built wood canoes and not have to mess with roof top transport. Previously owned a K1 Feathercraft foldable kayak and could fly anywhere in the world and would fit into a large backpack and book as luggage.

13. GreatBigAbyss

I do like the wood gunwales, decks, and other bits on that Prospector. Adds some class and beauty. Plus, the lines of a Prospector are very beautiful.

14. GreatBigAbyss

Yeah, my Wood Strip weighs about 50lbs. But, she's also only 15', so her capacity isn't great. Optimal weight is 450lbs, so once you add in myself and my wife, we've only got about 50lbs left for cargo. She can take more than 450lbs, but would be harder to paddle. The Ranger 15' is more of a daytripping canoe, rather than an outright tripping canoe.

She paddles like a dream though. She has a full keel on the bottom, so she's very resistant to wind, and stays on track. At 50lbs, she's not too hard to get on the roof of my van, but its definitely easier with 2 people. I'm not sure I'd want to do it solo. On our way back from Banff, we booked a couple of lake/river front campsites in Saskatchewan, so I'll be able to go canoeing right from our campsite, which should be fun.

15. Dan from Troup

You, my friend are in paddlers paradise. Yep 50 is doable solo but still a handful but #100 is nearly impossible for me but I still can do it. I love to hear that your boat tracks so well and doesn't weathercock so hard. My little solo OT Pack is a bit tougher in wind to track on open water but I use a carbon fiber double bladed kayak paddle. I can also paddle my big heavy tandem solo too with a kayak paddle. It has a 1200 pound payload. We load that baby down on wilderness paddling camping trips. O God, I miss paddling. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer last November as we've been focused on treatment since then. We missed out on our winter paddling this year but hope to get back to it this Fall. Keep the paddle wet fellow paddler.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  16. GreatBigAbyss

Bummer to hear about your wife. I hope she makes a full recovery, and is able to join you on your paddling trips once again.

In the next couple of years, when my 5 year old daughter is a little older and able to handle a paddle, I'd like to plan a multi-day canoe/camping trip with her.

17. Dan from Troup

IMG_20171010_075737_646.jpg
    Thanks, so far Deb is making a full recovery and is now cancer free. She ought to be good to go on camping again in the Fall. That's partly what precipitated getting the PUP (our first). Probably just do day paddles with her for now though. I may get in a solo 4 day paddle trip this coming winter.

My youngest son (29) also paddles with me sometimes and take a buddy out once a year on multiday paddle/camping trips. Paddling with your daughter would be great fun and such a cool legacy to pass down to your kids. Precious moments.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  18. DanLee

DanLee Member

Good looking canoe. Did your father use a layer of fiberglass over the wood or just varnish? It appears you are using foam blocks to carry it on the popup, no? I have thought about doing that, but already have Yakima bars on top of the TV so haven't tried it.

19. Dan from Troup

I used foam gunnel blocks to transport my OT Pack from LL Bean in Maine to Texas (2000 miles) on the roof of our Honda Civic. They work great. I presently use the lumber rack on my PU and used to own Yakima too for our kayaks.

20. GreatBigAbyss

Yes, a woodstrip canoe is built using strips of wood (usually cedar), and then a layer of fiberglass and epoxy over the outside and inside of the hull. You then install all the other wood parts, such as the decks, gunwales, keel, seats, thwarts, etc, then give the whole thing like 5 coats of varnish. Every couple of years you're supposed to give a light sand and add a few more coats of varnish. This gets rid of any scratches that may exist, and makes the canoe look brand new again.

Yes, I'm using foam block on the trailer. I have a roof rack on the van with which I can carry the canoe, and indeed, I do so when I'm not pulling the trailer. But, when I'm pulling the trailer, I like having the canoe on the trailer as it puts it down behind the van, and helps with my fuel economy a little bit.