My new used Dutchmen, and refrigerator question

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Jkoht, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Jkoht

Jkoht New Member

So I just took possession of a Dutchmen Duck 1005. I'd guess it's somewhere in the mid 90's, 95-97. I grew up with a 12' model Dutchmen so I'm not unfamiliar with the set up and such. This one my fiance and I were going to borrow from our friends parents to use as extra sleeping space for our upcoming wedding that, due to covid, had to reschedule/downsize and move to my cabin. When we went to pick it up they offered to sell it for $800, I said I'd think on it once I saw it set up. Then they basically said take it off our hands and pay us when you can, or help tear down and rebuild our deck. Took me all of 5 seconds to say yes to that. We got it to the canin this weekend and started by cleaning the outside. When I tried to crank it up it got halfway before the cable went tight, something popped, and the back half collapsed. I didn't know exactly what happened but I didn't see any broken cable so I was hopeful of a cheap fix. Looking under the camper I saw an empty bracket at the inside rear of the bumper, so being a technical minded person I kinda guessed it was part of the pulley system. A quick google search showed me a diagram that proved my theory. After that it was just a matter of disassembling a few things and then slapping a new pulley wheel from my atv snatch block in its place. Now it works just as it should, and thank god it does because my fiance was panicking thinking it was trash. We finished cleaning it up and overall it seems to be in decent condition, I caulked the four corners that turn down and had to add a l bracket to one that was starting to rot a bit. I think with some recaulking of seams and drying out I can make it useable for a while. Anyways sorry for my long winded story, I'll get to my main point here. I don't see any indication that there was a battery box on the tongue, or wires to connect, not even inside a bench. I know there's got to be a point somewhere for one. Also the fridge has more buttons than the one in my 2003 camper so I don't know how to turn it between gas mode and electric. Looking at the controls left to right I see a red button on top(piezo I guess), below that a black knob(gas valve i guess) and then center is a green rocker switch, and far right is a skinny red rocker switch. Those two switches are where I'm lost at. If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate some advice on this one, the previous owners don't seem to know much as they were second owners who barely used it before getting a fifth wheel.

Attached Files:

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  2. Danny Kerr

Danny Kerr New Member

I have the manual for what sounds like that refrigerator. I'm fairly confident the left-most controls are for L.P. operation. Red button is a piezo igniter, black knob is the gas valve. Center red switch and knob above are for 120V operation and the skinny red switch is for 12V DC operation. I'll upload the manual when I get into that thing in the next few days.

Danny

3. Jkoht

Jkoht New Member

Thank you I'd appreciate that. My next issue will be to figure out where I can wire a battery into it. It didn't come with one and the previous owners said they never had one. Currently I don't see any wires for a battery anywhere.

4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Nice to have you here with us Jkoht. Nice looking camper too.

5. Danny Kerr

Danny Kerr New Member

Attached some pics of that section in the manual. Let me know if you need me to scan the rest of it. Fridge_Manual_1.jpg Fridge_Manual_2.jpg

Jkoht likes this.