My NTU '90 Coleman Newport needs some TLC... and then some.

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by msandlin80, Feb 1, 2013.

1. msandlin80

msandlin80 New Member

I just acquired a 1990 Newport this week.. FREE!!!. The PO seemed to have no use for anything inside, they ripped out all of the cabinets and seating. I have a gutted camper. Nothing but a floor, the slide outs on the inside, the electrical convertor and the water tank. So I have a good project.

Everything structuraly seems to be fine. The corner caps on the roof need to be repaired/replaced and recualked, but I have seen no eveidence of water damage yet (PO did keep it in a garage). This is my first camper and I already have a list of things I want to get started on. My wife and I really are looking forward to doing some camping this season.

I have some woodworking abilities, and some engineering back ground, so I think I can pretty well handle the interior build part. I have close friends at the FD that can help with me with any wiring issues(one is a 12v guy and one a 110v, so if I can get them together I will be set, lol). But I would like to spruce up the exterior as well.

I found the manual on my camper and have learned that I do have an aluminum roof and it seems like that is a good thing. I have what I think is ABS front and rear sections( if I am wrong, please someone correct me) and aluminum sides. My question is what is the best method for paint. I have all kinds of time to work on this thing, but I want to spend as little money as I can and still have a good result. I may have access to a paint spayer, but I have not had much expirence with those things. Would a rattle can, or roller give me a decent finish? What kind of prep would need to be done, if any to the ABS? Do I need different kinds of paint for the aluminum and ABS?

My list of things I hope to accomplish in the next few months are:
    Paint (Body and frame)
    Axle Flip
    New tires (dry rot)
    Clean all the canvas (they are nasty)
    New floor covering
    Wire and plumb
    Rebuild the interior
    And my wife can knock out the upholstery work

I tried to post pics, I copied from photobucket, but it will not give paste as an option here.

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Congrats on the new pup ! Yes you have an aluminum roof and yes the front and back panels are ABS. As far as painting goes a good finish requires more than anything else good prep. I have seen very good (not show car quality but good) paint jobs done with both a rattle can and a roller. Quick tip on the ABS ...if it isn't already cracked protect it now. Spray on / roll on truck bed liner is amazing stuff. Even if you are tempted make sure you reinstall cabinets they add a tremendous amount of strength to the walls. Have fun and I'm sure somebody will post a link to the sticky about posting pictures.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

3. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

4. msandlin80

msandlin80 New Member

5. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Hey, for a freebie, that's quite good looking. :) And with the stripped interior, you can have fun and make your own floor plan!

6. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Sweet and FREE! You even got the awning [8D]

7. msandlin80

msandlin80 New Member

I hadn't thought about cabinets adding strength, but either way they will be added. I have read that a lot of guys recommened grizzy grip for the abs. After some research, I believe I will go with that, but I will have to wait to we have a little warmer weather (at least more consistent warm weather), since it recomends temps above 60 degrees for curing. But I will soon be starting on the frame and the interior, hopefully next weekend. I will be sure to update hear and keep pics coming. Thanks for the info, and you guys can expect plenty of questions as I go through with this project.

8. msandlin80

msandlin80 New Member

So today I removed all the canvas for cleaning. I figured it would easier to scrub them on a flat surfaces rather then them hanging up. As I was removing the bed end canvas's I noticed the ends of the roof were softer than the sides. After spending some time tapping the ends and then the sides, to compare the solid sound and the lack of solid sound, I am afraid I have determined that I should do some roof work. I did some investigating with a screwdriver, because it was very easy to push it thru the interior roof wall, and saw that the contruction is just aluminum, then foam, then 1/8" ply. I guess some time in the near future I wil be tackling this, but I have some questions.
    Is there any paticular kind of foam that I should use? What type of adhesive should be used? What type of caulking should be used when I put it all back together? I have read that some folks use boards for the ends, rather than foam, is one better than the other? Everything seems solid except for the ends, would it be considered acceptable to just rebuild the ends, or should I go ahead and do the whole thing?
    These questions sure make it sound like I don't know what I am doing, maybe thats because I don't, lol. But I just want to make sure I use the right kind of materials so that this works right the first time.

Thanks in advance!

9. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

There are about a billion roof rebuild threads on this forum, including older Coleman roofs like yours. I would suggest perusing the "in the garage" sections (particularly re: roof) to get ideas.

10. Hanne

Hanne New Member

Congratulations on your NTU pup! We just redid the entire aluminum roof on our vintage Coleman this past year and posted the rebuild in the roof repair forum. Our model is about the same size as yours. We opted for poplar wood for all the side walls. Now we know we can screw in anything and it will be much stronger. We used construction adhesive to glue the wood to the skin and the white ply-board to the wood. But we used Gorilla glue to glue the foam insulation (just the green stuff from Lowes). We used elastomeric caulk to seal - not silicone.
    If you think that you might have to do the rest of the roof in the near future, you might as well do it all now, and be done with it. It's peace of mind knowing your roof is rock-solid, plus you can use the opportunity to upgrade the wiring and lights, and add roof support beams. We considered only doing our side walls and about a foot of perimeter, but then we uncovered a huge hidden nest of carpenter ants that had tunneled into the foam. [:(O] Once I saw that, the roof was stripped down to the skin!

11. Rita

Rita New Member

I know this is an old post, but I'm searching for a 1990 Coleman Newport manual. Do you still have yours that you could share?

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You would have done better with a new post. The manual will be some help but usually not much. Start a notebook and ask a lot of questions

Sjm9911 likes this.