My other half wants to buy tomorrow

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by wantapup, Aug 25, 2014.

1. wantapup

wantapup New Member

We've been looking for a while now. This will be our entry into the trailering world. I last posted about a Coleman pine but we've moved on to looking at these now after reading feedback from all of you for which we are very grateful. I like to be very thorough with decision making but husband is now fed up with my tactics.

As of today the leaders are :

2003 Coleman Mesa12 ft. box..2 king size beds a fold down dinette, and a wrap around couch. It also includes a 3 way fridge, forced air furnace , a3 burner indoor stove,a high output 2 burner outdoor stove that attaches to the side wall of the trailer, a 12ft awning and screen room, roof racks, storage box, spare tire. He is going to replace latches that hold down roof when closed and replace the tires. Asking 4750

Fleetwood Allegiance 2005. Appears to be missing the outer bbq and I have no idea if that's a big deal to replace. Has newer a/c unit installed. Seems to be in good shape. Not much info available at sales place. ..he couldn't find the sun room poles etc either so assume that's also missing.
    Asking 4750 but agreed to 4000

Available for viewing tomorrow...
    2007 Palomino 4125 (12 footer).....$4500 plus $199 plus ta

2011 Clipper 10 footer....$5700 plus $199 plus tax

Coleman Cheyenne 2000 2x 30 lb propane tanks with cover,spare tire with cover, front cargo box with light and interior access,roof racks,king bed, double bed, single bed in couch, double bed in dinette. 3way fridge 3 burner stove, sand disks on corner dropdown legs, add aroom no leaks,canvas in good shape...ask in 4000

2. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Check when the coleman Mesa was built. Up until the middle of 2003, they still used the ABS roof. If it was a fall model, you should be safe. Either way, check the roof carefully.

The Fleetwood Allegiance has a nice floor plan. 2005 was a good year - after the ABS, and before the late 2000s, when some claim the quality drops. The BBQ isn't a big deal to replace. If you cannot find the awning poles (we use the awning every time we go out), then check out www.colemanpopupparts.com or, for the awning poles/replacement awnings (ebay). $4000 sounds like a pretty good price, and with the missing items, you have some ammunition to bring the price down. Check under the mattresses - that is where we always store our poles.

As for the Palomino, we owned a 2006 4013 and liked it, but we found that the 2007 Fleetwood we currently own was a better quality build, and we really prefer the single door - didn't like the two part door on the Palomino.

As for the clipper - pm BigBaron for his views on those. He owned one.

Coleman Cheyenne - ABS Roof? Same price as the Fleetwood?

Personally, if the Fleetwood is in otherwise good shape, I would be most inclined to get that one....but then I'm biased.

3. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

That 2000 Cheyenne would be overpriced, even in Washington state where the prices are high. There was recently a '99 sold here for around $2500 USD that looked to be in fine shape.

Between the Allegiance and the Mesa, which floor plan do you like more? That might help determine it. Some people here will say stay away from the ABS roof, but it's something like 10% that developed the cracking/delaminating issue, and they can be repaired with a bit of elbow grease.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Have not been following your posts but I am going to assume you have made the calculations to determine how big a camper you can tow with your tow vehicle. Good luck.

5. mjsny

mjsny Member

My Coleman came with an outdoor stove but I probably won't ever use it. I wouldn't want to cook that close to the camper. Especially for a BBQ. I like having the bbq a few feet away so the smoke doesn't drift into the camper & also like being able to position it based on the wind.

6. ripopuptwins

ripopuptwins It's All Good

Door #1 if the roof checks out

7. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

I just sold my 98 Cheyenne (complete with many mods) in fair shape for $2000.

We loved it, esp the part where we didn't have to climb over a seat or dinette to get to the bed.

8. dneilson2

dneilson2 New Member

We have the 4125 and we like it a LOT. Paid $3700 for it..a 2007 ). 2 queen beds (Palominos are known for comfortable beds), 3-way fridge, furnace, couch, dinette, 3 burner indoor/outdoor stove that hooks on rail outside, tinted "windows" (no need for curtains…I never even put them on), electric brakes, spare, awning (forget what else). Its long to tow though but others similar?

Don't' understand the door comment. Our door is one single piece.

Remember you've got to have a very strong back to lift king size bunks (Mesa) to insert the struts. I consider myself strong (weight lifter and runner) and some days I really feel the weight! (I've set up alone 3 times now but if you're going to set up with help, should be no issue)

I trust you've given this some thought…. but if those pups have electric brakes, you'll need a controller with a 7 way plug harness installed if you don't' already have one. (We did not know that when we were shopping. We couldn't pick up the pup without the controller … added $309 labor and controller to the cost.)

9. dneilson2

dneilson2 New Member

how do i delete this post? I added my comment (that I had below) to the above post to save double posting. I don't see a delete option.

10. tsc

tsc Member

Coleman/Fleetwood's have "backsaver" (or some other marketing term) for the bed supports. They are permanently attached to the bunk and they slide in/out independently. I'm not sure if it's different from Palomino's for lifting bunk ends (I know they are a different system). But I have my 9 y/o "set" the supports on my Utah (dual king beds) without any issues--and he's small for his age.

11. dneilson2

dneilson2 New Member

Oh my! Good to know!

Since I was the one who wanted to "pup it" after an unpleasant experience staking a tent in RI on a "rock bed" in 90F muggy weather, exhausted after 6 hrs of packing including bikes, with two kids anxious for me to finish so I could "play" i told myself I was done with tent camping.

I am troubled by the lifting of the bunks by myself (currently not a problem) but foresee a challenge in the future (and why the older couple who owned prior to us sold it).

Your post is giving me hope that such a design exists.

dolores

12. wantapup

wantapup New Member

My laptop is in for repair and I got myself so stressed out making this decision that I didn't respond with thanks here yet.

We picked up our 2009 Palamino Yearling today. Thanks to all of your advice we had brakes and a new plug harness installed before we went for pick up.

I think I should have done more research about the braking issue before my drive home tonight. I was not expecting it to be so....different. I obviously need to find a level area to run more tests and adjustments.

It only took our initial opening in the driveway to give me a deeper understanding of the back savers on other brands. I can do it now, but it could be a challenge for some I'm sure.

Then came the lights. Three adults and a full hour trying to figure out why we couldn't get the interior lights on. I'm glad that this was all taking place in our driveway. I could find no mention of where to find the 3 way switch on the converter to which the manual kept referring. I still don't really understand how it all works. We purchased in a rush situation in the end and therefore only witnessed closing it down and not opening it. I'm guessing I move onto the next forum to learn about all this fun stuff.

My husband is inviting everyone by to check it out like it's a mansion! His enthusiasm is only rivalled by the 4 year old.

Thanks again for all of the guidance. It did not go unappreciated. Just sick of tapping out these long messages on my phone.

13. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Congratulations on the NTU PuP, but remember, without pics, it didn't happen.

Did you get the interior lights on? If not, check a couple of things: first, that you have tripped the automatic shut off switch that should be beneath the sink/stove. Second, check fuses. Third, check the wiring going to the ceiling. There are connectors there that can become disconnected.

14. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Your camper is new enough that I hope they do not have a converter with a three way switch. If there is one it will be located on the front panel and most likely will be a black rocker switch with a label of "batt.-off-conv." Most likely your interior lights are not working because the "kill" switch is not engaged.

15. mikew66

mikew66 New Member

Dumb question, but did you have the camper plugged in or do you have it hooked up to a battery?

16. wantapup

wantapup New Member

@Mikew66 That is by no means a dumb question....I have no idea what we're doing here. I got them on last night. Now tonight we took it up to where were actually using it and I can't get them on again.

We are plugged in. I flipped the switch on for 120v and the breaker is on. No lights but we can hear power running a fan on the converter.

I'll take any tips and hints you can offer. No question will offend me!

17. mikew66

mikew66 New Member

I'm pretty new too but hopefully someone else can help you soon! You have me stumped.

18. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Double check the "kill switch" under the sink base. This has happened to us several times and frustrates the DH, another "now what?" Then I ask him to lift the sink so I can check the switch, works every time. He resets the sink and we've got lights. At least that is the first thing I would check ...

Diane