My own stupidity with wild life

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Beckiec4, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Beckiec4

Beckiec4 New Member

Funny Story, I thought Id share and see if anyone else out there has ever done something this stupid.

I saw a beautiful Black German Sheppard out in the back field, I live way out in the country and we get all sorts of animals dumped out here, I always try and clean them up, bathe them, feed them and find them a home, this day was no exception,
    " Here puppy, here puppy (not puppy, big doggy) "come here, sweetie are you hungry?" carrying a bucket of dog food with me, "here puppy, its ok, you dont have to be scared" It kept backing up and laying down, I get closer, it'd back up, "come here, its ok (sing song voice) smacking lips"here puppy, here puppy"...it'd back up.. soon it took off into our woods. well Ill leave the food here and try again later. [:D]

Husband home, told him about it during dinner, no reaction, except hrumph, another dog attitude.... [}:)].

I was taking the chihuahua outside to potty and "hey, look honey the German Sheppard is back!" "Here puppy" (whistles and lips smacking) "here puppy".....

Husband turned and came outside with his shotgun and began popping one after another off at the Puppy! I was MAD [:(!], Stop it, its just hungry!" Chirs QUIT! He looks at me [:O], "WOMAN thats a coyote! you've been trying to get that darn coyote here all day?! "It was hungry Beckie, it wants the DOG! "

It looked like a German Sheppard to me....Holy cow, Im glad it didnt eat me and my stupidity! :)

2. gsocamper

gsocamper New Member

Aren't you lucky it didn't like you!!! I have a similar story as I too often get dumped pets. I have several different cats that show up at times. And, I, too feed any strays. One night my bf saw a "cat" on my porch and went to see if he could pet it. Bare in mind, it was getting dark. When I turned the porch light on, it was an opossum!!! He was talking to it and calling "Here kitty kitty". Thank goodness I saw it and scared it away. Otherwise, I might have had it for a pet.

3. 2girls1boy

2girls1boy New Member

I would not be surprised if i did something like that too! I am a suburb girl born and raised and not super familiar with all those animals (except deer) in person. [LOL]

4. roughin-it

roughin-it New Member

Had my own little no brainer experience on labor day weekend. I was fishing and was determined to eat my catch one day which I had never done before let alone filetted any fish before. Well long story short I caught 2 massive bass, cut them up and after a nice big meal for me and the dog I thought "hey, lets make this worth the catch and feed the remains to the raccoons tonight." So I threw the left overs about oh 100 feet out in the woods, next day still there. Around noon I started seeing a few bee's flying around. By 7pm I was packing up the camper because the whole area was now bee territory. Chalk one up for a newbie trying to learn how to survive. [:!]

5. dclm

dclm Member

I fish for bass, but never ate bass... How do you like it? Have you tried crappie or walleye?!

6. roughin-it

roughin-it New Member

Oh... bass isn't bad. I've noticed that with some fish it's more about the texture than the taste because some fish taste the same. We had Bass and Walleye at the same meal and flavor wise I couldn't tell much of a difference but the Walleye was sooo tender. Now croppie and blue gill taste deeeelish! They have a distinct flavor that makes me want them more than bass. I figure if it isn't a bottom feeder, I will eat it.

Dom.

7. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

A coyote is generally a small skid-dish creature and seen rarely even in its territory. It may go after a small dog...if you were not around. If it comes around, it may have rabies! [:O]

8. Chilidog

Chilidog New Member

Quelle est? Ah, le belle femme skunk fatale!

9. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

We have coyote problems from time to time. My DW's dog was dragged down the road and somehow got away and we had a puppy taken from an enclosure that the yote just jumped over and got it. My neighbors also were having cats and dogs coming up missing too.

Here in Idaho you can rent a trap from fish and game and then relocate the animal or you can relocate them in other ways with no repercussions. The problem is unless you find the den and can get the alpha female they won't leave.

Also keep in mind that if you have male dogs they will go after female coyotes in heat and coyotes will use this and bait your dog out into the woods where the pack waits.

10. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I love that tv commercial ( I think its for Lenscrafters or something) where the lady opens the front door to let the cat in, "Here kitty, nice kitty" and a big ol raccoon comes walking in.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yeah, the raccoon is probably thinking, "SCORE!!!"

12. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Wild dogs are also a problem in many areas. Coyotes and badgers take their toll on chicken farms in our area. [:!]

13. Beckiec4

Beckiec4 New Member

[LOL] [LOL] GOOD TO KNOW!

14. Beckiec4

Beckiec4 New Member

15. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Probably some type of wasp (yellow jacket?). "Bees" get all the blame! [:!]

16. Chilidog

Chilidog New Member

I like the Allstate commercial where the Mayhem guy is in the attic "I'm a racoon"

he starts scampering around tearing it up.

17. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

When DW and I were dating, she came over to my place and was greeted with a big opossum on my porch (trying to get into my bird feeder.)

"Wow, you've got big rats around here!", future DW exclaimed. It was all I could do not to laugh. I explained it to her later.

Chip

18. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

when I saw my 1st Pelican, I thought it was the biggest Seagull I ever saw! Then I learned "the funny thing about a Pelican-is his Beak can hold more than his belly can.." [SUN]

19. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Beckiec4 he was looking too see if you were the other white meat [LOL]

20. Beckiec4

Beckiec4 New Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] I am...the other other white meat! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]