MY POPUP HATES ME

Geezer1

Sep 5, 2022
I spend over a week working on
my trailer.... I now have it looking acceptable after removing the dried up decals and painted the sides,
Flex Sealed the roof and installed a new roof vent.... but cranking the roof up and down and trying to fold everything back in place is what's ruining it for me. It never closes all the way! So I tried to to lift the roof to rearrange the sides and cushions the third time and the cable snapped. *^#%+**#%!!!!
.....camper for sale!

Last edited:

DanR

Aug 25, 2022
The lift system probably hasn’t been greased in a decade or two. I just got a free camper because a cable broke. It took me about 15 min to fix, and I am fresh off a neck surgery. Don’t get frustrated!

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
The lift system probably hasn’t been greased in a decade or two. I just got a free camper because a cable broke. It took me about 15 min to fix, and I am fresh off a neck surgery. Don’t get frustrated!

I just lubed ours last week, as I do every fall. I must say that the camper manufacturers seem to go out of their way to make this job hard to do. The access to the grease zerks would be awful under the best conditions. But the rear one, which is on top and hard to get to anyway... they decided to run the gas line about 2 inches in front of it, which means I have to hold the grease gun at an angle that barely engages. Then you never know how much grease to put in... I pumped in 10 or 12 pumps full on each zerk, making sure none was coming out the sides. Then we raised the camper, and a bit later I found out the dog was covered in grease. Yep... raising the camper forced some of the new grease out the sides of the main tube, and the dog just HAD to go under the camper and roll in it.

Oh well... at least my 2005 lift system is operating perfectly. At this age I should probably consider replacing the cable preemptively, but that's for another year.

corona

Mar 12, 2013
Long Island,NY
my trailer.... I now have it looking acceptable after removing the dried up decals and painted the sides,
Flex Sealed the roof and installed a new roof vent.... but cranking the roof up and down and trying to fold everything back in place is what's ruining it for me. It never closes all the way! So I tried to to lift the roof to rearrange the sides and cushions the third time and the cable snapped. *^#%+**#%!!!!
.....camper for sale!
Check you tube they have great videos on how to do videos

Sep 16, 2020
Colorado
Can't help with the snapped cable bit, but I struggled getting ours to close the first several times we used our new-to-us popup. Then when re-reading the manual I discovered it called for one full mattress, and one twin. It had come with one queen mattress and one twin. Swapped out the queen size for the double and it's been perfect ever since. Perhaps it should have been obvious, but just those few extra inches made a huge difference.

jbeard3

Nov 21, 2011
.....camper for sale!
If you sell don't tell them about the flex seal! That stuff does more long term damage than short term fixing. Depending on roof membrane it can deteriorate surfaces.

Mistold

May 17, 2021
North East TX
M
Can't help with the snapped cable bit, but I struggled getting ours to close the first several times we used our new-to-us popup. Then when re-reading the manual I discovered it called for one full mattress, and one twin. It had come with one queen mattress and one twin. Swapped out the queen size for the double and it's been perfect ever since. Perhaps it should have been obvious, but just those few extra inches made a huge difference.
Makes sense as Ive found that mine is hard to get closed perfectly. It would be the memory foam I added to the top on the kitchen side. The other end no longer had the mattress, PO put an air mattress in there. Works fine for the kids but I hate waking up not on air lol

hcrnwt

Jun 14, 2015
.....camper for sale!
How much? Can you deliver? I am in eastern Oregon. 🤣🤣