My privy tent setup, questions on location, and what I would do different...

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by dbhost, Jul 9, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So while I haven't been using the privy tent with tent camping for years, with the upcoming PUP, I am wanting to address my setup, and perhaps go over what worked, what didn't, and what I wish I had done differently.

The setup is...

* Cabelas Deluxe Shower Shelter. Not my pic, but same model. Pretty much bombproof, but heavy as all get out.
    [​IMG]

* Jaxpety 5 gallon (20L) flush portable camping toilet.
    [​IMG]

* Zodi Hot Tap Instant Shower. + 5 gallon Home Depot bucket.
    [​IMG]

* No link, or pic, but interlocking foam mat section. They come from Sams Club and are the black on one side, bright colors on the other side things they use for kids play areas.

So now on to the basics. When tent camping I set up the privy tent downhill, even ever so slight, from the main tent so that any of the gray water from the privy doesn't run to the sleeping tent.

Which leads me to the concerns for setting up in proximity to the PUP. The PUP we are getting has an awning, and my thought process was the back of the sites we go to are typically lower than the front, and set up the privy back past the awning so that water can't run under the awning.

HOWEVER, one of the biggest items that has been a pain to set up and use has been the Zodi. I mean it beats nothing, but it isn't ideal that's for sure... I am wondering if there is a way to effectively use the outdoor shower from the PUP and route the shower head, preferrably with an on / off shutoff like an Oxygenics shower head, into the privy?

My issue with the Zodi isn't that the Zodi is bad, it's that the PUP has a water heater, the Zodi is a bit lunky size wise, and I could use the storage space better for other stuff. No need to be redundant...

The big problem though, is my thought process was I wanted to keep the privy tent close to the camper door to reduce trip time to the toilet should foul weather hit us, which it does often.

Lots of folks here seem to be concerned with collecting gray water, yet still others have a devil may care outlook on it. After review with the Rangers at the parks we have camped in, they have no concerns for shower water, what they DO have concerns with gray water wise is dishwater / food waste which attracts pests. We have typically stored dish waste water in a wash tub, transferred to one of those flexible 5 gallon water totes, and just drain it in the park bathroom sink.

Were I more concerned about the impact of shower / gray water, I would use a catch basin, So far the foldup pet pool thing others have linked to seems like the best idea. At least for me.

I am thinking worrying about foul weather proximity might not be that big of an issue. I mean should the weather go bad enough, shower isn't super crucial and I can move the toilet into the PUP if need be...

Now work with me here, what I had in mind for setup is actually similar to this, PUP, Okay this guy doesn't have an awning. But awning set out, EZ Up set up behind the awning, overlapping a little bit, and then the Privy set up at the back of that, again, overlapping if possible. We've had weather turn on us like this when travelling out west... My wife hates the cold and I am trying to keep her happy...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Long story short, do what you want to do to make it work for you, except follow the local rules for the gray water disposal.

My setup is similar to yours with the Cabela's shower tent except I have the Thetford 320P and the Nemo Helio shower system.
    2018 Grand Portage Genny.JPG

If my pup had an external shower hose I would use that instead of a seperate shower system. I would just put the shower tent next to the pup's shower door.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Hey, do you have any heat issues with your generator set up with those mats as a sound blocker? My HF Tailgator is noisier than I care for, but it does run a 6.5K BTU AC and charge my CPAP battery, but I hate the noise...

And yeah, your setup seems similar to what I am planning, Just putting the privy a bit further to the back. behind the EZ Up.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Your big issue will be containing the grey water and carting it of to the designated dumping location. Also the use of a generator, many campgrounds have strict rules about time of day and for how long you can run a generator, with yours already being noisy, you may want to leave it at home and pay the extra for an electrical site..

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

No heat issues. There is enough air flow around the mats that it isn't an issue.

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I know off base from the original intent of this thread, but hey, it's my thread!

I was considering taking a set of the pads I have the cat clawed up pretty good, and repurposing them to a generator noise break, Cut maybe 3" off of the end of 2 of them, have the opening on top and another on bottom of the ones on the ends, and basically make a box out of them for the genny... Like I said, the 2 stroke Tailgator is a bit louder than I would like...

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have seen where people modded the outside shower hose to make it longer and add a shut off valve on the showerhead itself to save water during the shower. However after the shower they would still need to go to the shower to shut the water off at the tap. Most people though put their privy tent next to the shower head door to make it easier to snake the shower hose inside the privy tent.
    Follow the instructions for the park you stay at. 95% of the places I camp, any gray water whether shower or sink has to be collected. Which is one of the reasons I just stuck with a sponge bath. Then again it's just me, I don't have to keep anyone else happy. Though I try to follow the KISS method (keep it stupid simple).

dbhost likes this.
  8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

You bring up 2 issues.

#1. Gray water. Where I camp the only restrictions on gray water, as I mentioned above, are either with the use of non biodegradeable soaps / shampoos. We use Camp suds in camp. Period. The other gray water restriction is when dealing with food particles. They must be contained. That is mentioned above as well... There are 2 parks we camp at that don't allow shower water no matter what, and that's fine because they are also the 2 parks that have beautifully maintained bathrooms with shower facilities. Only purpose for the privy at that point is convenience for the toilet... I am still giving serious consideration to the folding tiny kiddie pool as a catch basin to catch shower water for my own reasons. Rules are one thing. But I don't want to slog through a muddy shower floor even with the floor pad...

#2. Generator use. I have mentioned this before. Again, where I camp, if electric is available, I will happily use an electric site, and prefer it. Dispersed beach camping however doesn't allow for this. Run at full tilt, over the sound of the crashing waves and the constant warm gulf breeze, even as loud as the HF Tailgator is, 20' is about as far away as it can be heard. No at a nice quiet moutain meadow, I sure won't need to run an AC, and I can get away with charging the CPAP battery with an hour of use a day. There are health reasons I need electric, and again, many of the available camp sites are without electric. I ALWAYS check the rules prior to deciding where to go... It should be noted, strongly, that my preference is very much to camp with electric when the weather is HOT and HUMID. Depending on the length of stay, during the cooler times of year, I have to recharge my battery pack, but limit the use of the generator to do that. I am giving solar some serious consideration.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

If I were single, I would simply sponge bath in the camper to keep from grossing myself out. But my wife has different sensibilities than I do...

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I hear you. Camping with my mom I'm forced to camp with electricity and city water, no, ifs, and, buts. It would be the end of the world if she had to go without or with less. You do what you have to to keep peace. Best of luck with your mods.

11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

My life would be easier if there were some ADA set asides for the reservation system. Heck, just give me power enough to run an AC and a CPAP and we are good to go...

For what it's worth, the AC is related to the CPAP, much easier to breathe when you aren't boiling...