My reflectix version, barker tank, shelving, step lights and toilet tool...

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Nandy, May 4, 2016.

1. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Few of the "major" mods...

Everyone has their version of the reflectix. I did my own. I built mine from the cheap walmart dash board covers, they are under $4 and I used 6. The advantage to the reflectix is that these are very flexible as I dont want to have to take them out. I did build them so if I have to take them out they will storage nicely and are labeled so we dont have to figure out which cover goes in which bunk. If it is hot outside we will install them with the silver part facing out, if it is cold we would install them with the silver part to the inside. I planned to take pictures of it while in this last vacation but it was so cool and shaded that we did not have to install them... Im sure it will be a different story next trip.

[​IMG]

Have you been driven insane with the noise of those plastic tires when rolling in asphalt or worse yet, running in crushed rocks??? I know I have. Took the plastic out in just one side (you will have to remove the axle cap) pull the 5/8 axle and went to HF to match. I chose this tire which should manage the loaded 22 gallon tote well. The tire has bearings which gives me a bit more piece of mind when hauling and I dont have to do it on crawl speed. I bought a tube for it just in case and a patch kit. I also kept the original tires, they dont weight a pound together. I got the drive shaft collars at tractor supply where I also bought 2 axle caps. Initially I was planning on using the collars at both ends but then decided to just double down on one side. I might change that later on.. It did quiet it down perfectly. The only problem is when the tank is empty the vibration of the tires transfer to the hitch adapter and makes a bit of noise. I will wrap that adapter in rubber or something similar in the future...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With this HTT being so small storage is at a premium so I did the shelving rack mod. One for the bathroom (we dont use the shower, too small of a holding tank), including a hardwood board for the base, and one for my son bunk bed. Both are removable. The one in the bathroom can stay up without load and the one in my son bunk has to be removed for his bunk bed to be closed. Im making custom canvas bags for those this summer so they can be stored easily.

[​IMG]

Got me some weather proofed strip LEDs light at walmart (should have bought them in chinaBay...) and rigged some lights for the steps. We have missed the steps quite a few times so no more. The problem is the lights are a bit too bright but I will be working on that this summer as well. The switch is inside by the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last one but not least, is a tool I made out of a wood board. It will help me do 2 things I had a hard time before. I dont like to empty my powder tank deodorizer in the bowl then flush it. This will help me do that by opening the toilet flap and keeping it open hands free. Also, when I leave the site I like to fill the tank to it max so now instead of holding the lever open all the way and have my face hovering over the open toilet now I can use the same tool and leave the toilet loading while I can be at a safe distance watching and not smelling plus I dont have to be bent holding the lever... It might look silly to some but it solves my problems.

[​IMG]

In possition to keep flap open and water running.
    [​IMG]

Second notch allows me to get the water running but the flap closed, not really much use out of that one...
    [​IMG]

I also added usb chargers to the bunk fan/lights combos. I used a 3.1 amp 12 v charger from Olly's for about $5 each, open them up, welded cables, made a hole in the fan/light case to match the charger, use a set screw to hold it in place, use quick splices for the cables inside the fan/light combo and it worked great. DW loved it as she sleeps inside and now instead of her phone being charged next to the Television out of her grips now it is in her hands or inside a tool pouch next to her while she is in bed. She charged both her phone and tablet. Pictures probably later.

Got me a solid rubber mat from ollies for about 4 bucks and it goes under the BBQ grill so if we spill something it not longer drips to the patio mat.

Few other little things here and there but since I have no pictures is useless to mention them... next round of mods comes in june... Till then...

2. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

looks good, I need to reflectix my camer!!

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I just added shelf's in our hanging locker, but I flipped mine with the lip up to keep stuff on the shelf while traveling.

4. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Thanks guys.

That was my initial idea but once I got the shelf in I was not happy with how sturdy (or lack off) it felt and i was afraid of the side to side motion will eventually mess the walls. Im telling you, once wire shelf locks in the shelving bracket it is a pain to remove!!!! Maybe if I had left more clearance on side to side.....

5. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

I found a package of rubber endcaps in various sizes for all the cut wires in the shelving aisle in Home Depot, makes me feel better about them. We haven't had any trouble with upside-down shelves being unstable once they're weighed down with stuff.

6. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

Nice reflectix panels! I like that idea. I sure don't need a whole roll of reflectix. Did you just cut to size and sew bias tape around the edges?

7. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

The covers came with the bias tape on them so I use my seam ripper, rip away, saved the bias tape, cut the material to size (I actually built a template in cardboard) then put the bias tape back. The bias tape is not really necessary in my opinion but it gives it a nice finishing look. Being all the materials are so light I tried to sew the bias with the house sewing machine but stitches were irregular as the material will slip. I had to take it to my compound fed industrial machine. Plus the larger size stitches were better looking.
    I bought the caps after the trip but Im still worried it might mark the walls... I intend to sell this camper at the end of this year or the beginning of the next year to get me a larger unit so the less I break the better.. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth doing the mods but at least i will enjoy them for the next 6 months or so....

8. Miamomof8

Miamomof8 Member

Glad you posted about the reflectix. My dollar store has those for $1/each. I was wondering if it would be a pain to piece together, but for $6 it sounds worth it!

9. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I saw those and the only reason I did not use them was because they have holes in them for I dont know what reason. I knew those holes will drive me crazy, otherwise they seem as a great alternative. I did have to add material to 4 of those. I glued the material with 3m adhesive then stitch it. It is hard to notice in the silver side, more noticeable in the white side.
    I tried to purchase the material from china. this was a 3' wide x 50' long roll. Price was $30.00 but shipping was $100!!!! so yeah, no go... sight...

10. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I tried the window shades in place of the Reflectix for a cheaper mod. It was not nearly as effective as the Reflectix. You could always try to get a small piece of Reflectix and do a side by side test. That is how I figured it out.

All your other mods look awesome.

11. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I love the pneumatic tires on the tote tank ! I'll have to consider that...

12. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Ditto , the penumatic tires on the tote are a good mod. I also added wire shelving but mine is in the wardrobe closet.

13. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I can only imagine that reflectix will be better but the rigidity of it is a deal breaker for me. I have used these windshield covers not only for the camper windows but also as pugs and was very satisfied.

Thanks guys!

14. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Glad they work for you. I love how cool or warm the Reflectix in the windows make our PUP depending on the outside temps. I made our own bunk end covers out of space blankets. It probably cost more than yours. We've been very happy for four years, too.

Enjoy camping this spring, summer, and fall. :)

Here's the link how I made ours:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JzLteC-MsKVXaPFCk77w7yBVIpas6u_xCHeQHL7ewP8/edit?usp=sharing

15. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I have done the reflectix panels, and the wire shelving, both are great mods. I haven't done the pneumatic tires though. I like the idea, and think I will be doing that myself. Thanks for the info.

16. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Alright!