Oct 1, 2014
South Central New Hampshire
This is my boondock camp site in Vermont
downsized_0523151508c_zpsrapdfxl6.jpg

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
Looks good, you sure have enough awning to stay out of the weather..Bet it takes awhile to set it up :)

swordfish

Super Active Member
Sep 27, 2010
Love that canopy. Where can I get one?
It makes set up and take down in the rain much pleasant.

Reactions: jnc

BoonDockerBob

Nothing better than the smell of a campfire
Jul 8, 2015
Talk about WOW .... Not sure I would want that big of a "tent" over me in case of strong winds . I would think that it would grab that AND your PUC and make everything take a "ride' so to speak ?
Curious though ... No shower ? no solar panel ? no porta potty ? Or do you set up something some other way ?
Does that "tent" over your PUC keep it cooler than GISMOs do ?
What about condensation - morning dew ? Does that "tent" cause the moisture/wetness to cling/hang on top of your PUC longer ?
Should have asked you this first ... but ... Is this the first time using that big "tent" over your PUC ?
And is that your propane tank sitting out there in the sun ?

Looks like a nice flat grassy area ? Any lake or pond or streams close by ? Where you at ? State park ? Private land ? Only reason for asking is about the big grassy meadow area your in .
How long do you stay ? What kind of batteries and how many do you run ? Water supply ? ( reason for asking about nearby lake/stream/pond )

jnc

Welcome from New Hampshire
Oct 1, 2014
BoonDockerBob said:
Talk about WOW
Yes it is a very large tent. The high winds just lift the tarp up off the PUP & blow right thro. There is a shower in the back. The Luggable Loo is inside for night time use. There is an outhouse 20yards down hill. I dont know about the difference between the tarp & GISMOs. I did not have any trouble with condensation. The tarp keeps the dew off the PUP.
Yes this was the first time with the tarp over the PUP. It is also the first time a camper has been setup on this land. I have been setting up in this spot for about 10 yrs with a large tent & tarp set just like this.
Yes that is one of my propane tanks in the sun is there something to worry about with that?
This land is owned by a friend it is located on the south side of a small mountain. My Tarp becomes a mountain side living room where everyone ends up.
There is a small hunting cabin with a well powered by a Genny. We have cleared about an acre and somewhat leveled 1/4 that is used for tenting. There is no usable water close. There are streams & ponds to hike or 4wheeller to. We stay at least 2 nights & have stayed as long as 10 days. I only have one battery & recharge it with Harbor Freights little 2 stroke Genny.

R00

Super Active Member
Aug 10, 2014
Your propane tank is fine in the sun. If it wasn't there would be BBQ explosions across the country every summer...

kjcamper

Jul 12, 2008
Wisconsin
I like the tarp over the whole setup. We saw a guy pull a tarp over his PUP last week at a campground before some storms moved in. My DD asked me why we didn't do that. I could really not give her a reason except to say we don't have leaks and maybe that guy did. I may measure my setup and make up a cover like yours. Great idea for keeping out of the sun and rain in a larger area.

jnc

Oct 1, 2014
kjcamper said:
I like the tarp over the whole setup.
Yes I need new canvas and the roof is delaminating but I have been making this setup for a few years. It started was a tent camper and forgot the tent cover and a friend had a tarp 3times bigger than my tent. We loved the extra shade that was created in front of the tent. I can't camp with out it now.

jnc

Oct 1, 2014
the tarp sits on the roof. It is tied off to the backside of the camper in places that are solid like the drawbar and wheel. I have added a new pole to the frontline centered in the middle. It is much taller the the rest and this has solved the problem of puddling. I will be sure to add a new picture of it the next time we setup. I do have a night time picture I will try to get down loaded.