My TV with a Borrowed PUP

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by HostileJava, Sep 29, 2013.

1. HostileJava

HostileJava New Member

Borrowed a PUP over the summer for a few trips this year and got the bug, hopefully will be taking ownerhship of ours shortly. In the mean time:

Yes I know I need to do something about the rear suspension.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, I am that guy.
    [​IMG]

Also used for 4 wheelin'
    [​IMG]

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Cool pics!!

3. HostileJava

HostileJava New Member

Thanks, can't wait to pick up ours.

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Thats some pretty whacky looking cooler set up on the front end there. Good luck on getting your n2u pup.

5. HostileJava

HostileJava New Member

Thanks, hope to be picking it up in a week or two. The front carrier is just a front mount hitch with a cargo carrier in it. I installed it to be used as another recovery point when 4wheelin (possibly for a winch at some point) and also to be used for camping when the rear hitch is in use already, for things like the cargo carrier or a bike carrier. It came in handy with the borrowed camper because it was loaded with supplies that did not belong to us, so we loaded the back of the TV with our supplies and put the two coolers on the front.

[​IMG]

6. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Depending on the weight of the camper and your backing up skills you couls put the ball on the front and drive the camper into place!!

7. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Looks good, although I'd see if you can find other places for those coolers. Oncoming cars cannot see your signals, and your headlights will only shine on the coolers. ;)

8. HostileJava

HostileJava New Member

Yeah, haha, I realized once I got to the campground that the signals were blocked. Headlights suprisingly still cast a lot of light when I tested them at night(didn't drive like that). That was using a borrowed cargo carrier, I think I just need to find one without such a rise on it from the hitch.

9. Brate

Brate Bravado!

My trailblazer sags in the rear as well... I have seen other Trailblazers back end sag while towing. I don't want to say its normal but yours sags about as much as mine and I have a feeling my camper has that one by about 100# on the tongue weight. I'm going to wager the rear suspension is just.. soft.

10. HostileJava

HostileJava New Member

The one we are currently buying comes with a sway control, I'm looking into upgrading that to weight distribution and sway control.

11. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Here is our TB sagging bigtime with a 3200lb glamper pup.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Loved this pickup 98 K3500 CC LONG BED Hi Top Cap, wrecked it Labor Day 2012!

[​IMG] Here is our current setup 2004 K2500 Sub [:D].

12. HostileJava

HostileJava New Member

I just picked up a 2001 Coleman Utah last weekend, empty it is about 2600lbs and I was surprised at how little sag I had, didn't take any pictures though. I am however looking at a 2002 Avalanche 2500 because I really wasn't happy with how it towed empty and I know it will only get worse with all our gear in it.

13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

you just got to watch the 2001 utah tends to sway alot , (something about the rear door placement.. so i hear) especially with a short wheel base suv. i put a friction sway bar on mine and it helped alot pulling with my grand cherokee . keep it under 65 and you should be fine.... never saw that cooler set up up front before though. maybe if you load it down with alot of beer it will even out that rear end sag ..... [LOL]

14. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

[quoteg on author=Haybale link=topic=77780.msg723850#msg723850 date=1381094454]
    the weight of the camper and your backing up skills you couls put the ball on the front and drive the camper into place!!Dependin
    [/quote] my uncle had a ball installed on the front end of his truck, used to drive the pup into the garage with it he said it worked out well for him.

15. HostileJava

HostileJava New Member

I actually did exactly that when we stored it at my parents house. Put the ball on the front and pushed it in, with the amount of play we had on each side going into the garage (inches) and having to get a running start to push it in(afraid we couldn't stop it) we decided the hitch was the best idea.

16. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Love the idea about loading beer into coolers on front to eliminate sag... plus much easier to get to the beer during set up than inside the camper fridge! [:D]

17. HostileJava

HostileJava New Member

What do you think was in the larger cooler?

18. grantar2

grantar2 Member

Realize this is an old post but I didn't see a resolution to the sag issue. The least expensive and very good solution are the Firestone air shocks/bags. The units for my Santa Fe cost me $110 for the pair. It cost me $240 to have them installed. If I had a place I could work on my car myself I am very sure I could have done it myself in about an hour. (Price of living in a condo)

19. HostileJava

HostileJava New Member

Thanks for the recomendation, I actually bought an Avalanche 2500 to tow with since these were taken.