My UK Starcraft.

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by UKDiamond001, Jul 12, 2018.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

So True.

2. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Active Member

Weather has changed here at the moment and working outdoors means that until the front roof boards and bed canvas are re-installed, rain has stopped play.
    I have been busy in other areas, we have home made cushions in a gold material and some red throws, add to the intended blue curtains, it should have a look fit for a queen.
    The bathroom side of things is also on the plan. Having purchased a free-standing shower/changing/toilet tent and portable toilet, the instructions caused a bit of a grin.
    [​IMG]

Rik Peery, DJS12354, jnc and 2 others like this.
  3. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

I was wondering about the caravan's door on the traffic side, and if that was a concern, then I realized the tow car's driver's door is on the traffic side anyway....

and save those bunk end vertical supports. I had a set I added to my Starcraft.
    Not for lack of the corner stabilizers, but to relieve the cantilever force pulling the top edge of the box end off the sides. Weight downward on the bunk pivots about the bumper (fender) and pulls directly away from the main box. Those vertical supports take much of that vertical weight and limit the outward pull.

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/door-opens-when-i-get-in-bed.113030/page-2#post-1144229

4. UKDiamond001

Back on track now, wood replaced and repaired canvas attached (a fantastic repair on all four corners by a semi retired tradesman)
    Struggled a bit to attach the runners with a battery drill, but with the aid of my dear late father's 1961 electric drill, the job was done.
    The pics are taken towards the full sun so looks a lot brighter than usual .
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now I'm covered I can start on the interior paint job without worrying about the weather.

AlexVanEks and jnc like this.
  5. UKDiamond001

Thanks for the advice, I probably will reattach the supports. They'll make for a good place to dry the washing as well as giving the extra support.

6. UKDiamond001

First day of the paint job just the ceiling to do.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    jnc, hq308 and WVhillbilly like this.
  7. UKDiamond001

The paint is a chalky finish blue furniture paint and will be finished with Finishing Wax to give it a protective sheen, that will be the final job before madam's bits are added. Cupboard doors are back on and I gave it a sweep out and put the upholstery back in.

The refrigerator is a Camping Gaz International 3 way with ice box, probably from a caravan, certainly not original, but functional and when running adds to the heating of the cabin. the stove is my own freestanding camping chef two burner with grill for outdoor cooking although hidden away is a mini electric Halogen Oven and electric hob and pressure cooker for when on mains hookup.
    That's all I'm doing on the pup for today..... a beer is calling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DJS12354 likes this.
  8. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Hope you enjoyed that beer~ You earned it!

9. UKDiamond001

I certainly did..however all is at a stop now so I had a few more!. One lifter cable gave way so I need to try and source replacements for them all from this side of the pond (previous owners bodged repairs) I'll probably have to get them custom made. I'm certainly not looking forward to threading them.

10. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Looking good, should be set for next season

11. UKDiamond001

I've managed to injure my back so with the onset of winter, time to lay us both up till the Spring. She's in her permanent parking spot now and will be under a tarp as soon as I can wrap her up.
    I'm pleased with what I achieved though.
    [​IMG]

hq308, DJS12354 and megcabra like this.
  12. UKDiamond001

Hello again everyone,
    well with the winter over I have uncovered the old lady and "deep joy" she is dry. I've pulled her into work position and now its time to address the broken lifter wire. At the moment I have the front corner (sink side) propped up with a steel rod. Now I need to ascertain how the cable is routed. (seen this digram) but as it shows red and blue, is it one cable or two in each slider? (remember I am getting senile)
    Thanks guys and gals.. [​IMG]

13. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I cannot see your pics - does this help at all?

Popup Lift Breakout.JPG

Attached Files:

AlexVanEks likes this.
  14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

AlexVanEks likes this.
  15. UKDiamond001

Thanks J Starsky that helps a great deal, just have to access to the darn thing now.

Update..took a ride to the local engineering supply store.
    Everything I needed to renew the entire front lift cables came to £8.00 ($10.01.)
    So after an afternoon on my back she is now functioning again......next job towing electrics. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    AlexVanEks and J Starsky like this.
  16. UKDiamond001

17. UKDiamond001

A sucker for punishment I decided to do the other side then found I'd missed a pulley wheel the first time so had to re do it. All done now........Beer time I think.

AlexVanEks and J Starsky like this.
  18. UKDiamond001

This weekend marks a milestone in the old lady's history. Her trailer lights have been redundant for years, relying on a marker board to keep legal. After hours underneath trying to work out the birds nest left by the previous repairers, I pulled the entire loom, discarded it and then rewired with the leads from the board, maintaining her original lights.
    For the inside I have purchased two new quick release gas couplers, although the original stove has long gone, my Camping Chef with two hobs and a grill can be used inside and out with a spare for the BBQ.
    [​IMG]
    A pet enclosure/windbreak to keep the dogs without being tethered is on the way....At this rate I'll have to think about going out with her !

19. UKDiamond001

The last item on my list is a sun awning, very expensive unless I go the Do it myself route. $30 for a waxed canvas tarpaulin 7 feet x 9 feet with eyelets space at 2 foot intervals. Should do the job if I can get SWMBO to sew some piping to one edge :)

J Starsky likes this.
  20. UKDiamond001

[​IMG]
    A quick break before I start again

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019