My version of PVC pipe mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Rusty2192, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of how to add the pvc pipe mod for storing my bunk supports for a while and finally figured it out. On my pup the supports hook onto the front and back walls and have to go on before the bunks are pulled out. That couple with the fact that the canvas is attach to the ends of the bunk meant that the supports had to be thrown into the pup after closing it mostly up, but not all the way since the roof blocks the door. And...they are too long to sit right in front of the door, so they have to be angled back into the dinette. Long story short, they are a real pain in the rear.

Then to add insult to injury, the holes for the poles are at just the right height on the frame that a pipe couldn't be laid on top of the tongue or bumper. I wasn't comfortable putting it under them either due to ground clearance.

So this is what I came up with. 5' of 4" pvc pipe with a set of male and female couplings on either end and caps on the far ends. My dad is a plumber so I rummaged through his odds and ends and found these hangers for the pipe. They bolted through the tongue. I may add some zip ties too for extra security, but I'll monitor it on the first drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wtrtech

Wtrtech New Member

Looks good.Great mod.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Great solution. Nice and neat. I really don't understand why manufacturers never incorporated features like this when there is a need for pole storage. My current pup, the supports stay attached under the bunks, but this was an issue on my last one.

I'm a bit concerned about the way your camper roof is closed. Is is supposed to look like that? [LOL]

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I know I am living on borrowed time. All of my metal pipes and braces etc are just layed in between the two pushed in tent beds when we pack up. I have a foot or so of free space there...

So I haven't forgot one or lost one but I really should have spot to keep them all in the same spot. Then that would always make me to a head count haha...

Your mod looks great...

Roy Ken

5. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Great job with the mod, looks good! My bunk poles store under the bunk platform where they are attached. But I did do a PVC pipe under my pup. I have a bunch of extendable poles I use for a tarp over my son's tent. I used to keep them in the pup but they were leaving marks on the floor and cabinets. I used a 7' piece of PVC with a cap on one end and a threaded cove on the other end. I mounted this to the frame just in front of the wheels. I used 2 long threaded hose clamps crisscrossed over each frame rail. It has been there for a couple years now and works fine for me. I also drilled 2 weep holes, one on each end to allow any water to drain out. Sorry I don't have any pics right now, but if you need some I can get some!

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Great job! Kinda funny too.......my previous pup was a 2000 Dutchmen Voyageur and I did the exact same mod in the same location to store my bed supports and roof supports. [:D]

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

NICE !
    Great problem solving.

8. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

This mod is amazing!.....I want to do it ASAP because like you I have the same pain...

Could you help me out by showing me underneath where the braces are secured to the frame...

Thanks in advance

Adam

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Nice job. Just curious, why did you make it in three pieces?

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I believe because having a one piece would then block the connection points for the bed support poles as shown in the second photo.

11. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Thanks popupsteve, I wondered about the same thing and didn't even notice until you mentioned it. Took me a second to notice it in the pic.

12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, good job on that one.

13. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I did something like this when I first got my PUP. Used looong worm drive hose clamps to hold them on. I cut a full 10ft pipe in half, for the front and rear. (Keep poles on the end used) I used a cap glued on one end, and a plug on the other of each pipe. If I was to do it again, I would make one end just long enough for poles on one end, use the rest of the stick, with plugs on both ends, on the other end of trailer. That way I could get poles out from one end, and have the roasting fork points at the other...

14. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

do all the poles from the front and back fit in there?

15. mrcotton73

mrcotton73 New Member

Can you repost the images please? The links don't seem to work. I have the same issue my bunk end poles would get in the way of a pipe attached to the rear bumper.

Thanks
    Sam

16. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

9D510613-4D36-4A19-A4D0-FA552DED5028.jpeg
    6AFD6CB4-6E8B-4DA5-9608-39162FFB6F94.jpeg
    71F9DF5D-5F26-4198-B2D3-AA745F124C1F.jpeg
    DB0E8AF1-513A-4D8F-8765-124B0675E607.jpeg

Whitney Hubert likes this.
  17. mrcotton73

mrcotton73 New Member

Awesome - thanks for posting. I was thinking about section cutouts where the bed-poles would go in - but this is simpler!