My wheelchair modified PUP

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by quad80, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

Excellent MOD

2. jenmel

jenmel Hudson Valley, NY

Really nice job! I'm a recreation therapist and used to work with people in physical rehab with spinal cord injuries. My job was to get people back into the recreational activities they loved with adaptations, if needed. All I have to say is WOW! You did a great job, and it's so nice to see someone with some physical limitations take charge and make all things possible! I'm sure you'll have a blast and your family will too! :)

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Great job.

But I do think grcooperjr has a very valid point.

I think I would make a couple of wooden 2 x 4 cut to fit as safetys for the roof.

You might still need to use that personal lift if something happened to the roof and you might not be able to use it if you were stuck inside.

Otherwise, what you did is nothing short of fantastic.

Many happy and safe camping days..

Lou

4. Mrs_P

Mrs_P Claremore, OK

That's amazing.. Thank you for sharing this with us.. Your a true inspiration to others..

Great Job..

5. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

WTG. And congratulations on living your dream and not taking no for an answer. You inspire me!

6. 14erfam

14erfam Member

That is awesome!

My understanding was that Fleetwoods/ Colemans use a racheting system as part of their lift design, so that in the event a cable breaks, the roof would just rest on that last notch in the post. And thats also why the Colemans/Fleetwoods, don't use the braces at all.

My door is thin aluminum, and I fully suspect it would fold like a deck of cards if the roof ever collapsed.

7. Digger

Digger Foothills of Central Virginia

Nice job Quad....Is the 'suitcase ramp' two 4 foot ramps, or one 8 foot? How much weight can the ramp hold?

8. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Well 14erfam.... I have to disagree. Fleetwood-Coleman's listed roof safety system is the one piece door. The ratchet that you stated in your post is just to lock the whiffle tree to keep it from unwinding. On mine, once converted to electric the ratchet is removed and no longer used.

If a cable breaks, the corner affected drops until the lift poles bind if the door is not in place. The normal drop is around a foot or two with out the door in place. Now if a shear pin in the whiffle tree shears, the top comes all the way down as it unwinds the whiffle tree. Thats why in the owners manual it states to get the door in place as soon as the roof is raised and the bunks are slid out.

Here is a picture of the ratchet assy used on the Fleetwood / Coleman roof system.

[​IMG]

The hand crank or chain sprocket connects to the top of the picture. The whiffle tree connects to the bottom. The whiffle tree shear pin hole is just visible at the bottom.

9. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Thanks for the clarification. Isn't a sheer pin designed to break under a specific load? Thats a little bothersome.

I have my pup up in the gagrage while working on the converter. My garage is not tall enough to lift it all the way and put in the door. SO its been up for two days- is that a problem do you think?

10. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Yeap. It's designed to break the pin instead of a cable. A cable break can cause major damage depending on how and where it breaks. A shear pin fail, will cause the whiffle tree to unwind and the top to come down a lot slower than a cable break.

If you remember the recall on the electric lifts a few years ago. The shear pin was what failed if you had shore power connected and raised the roof. When it got to the top the load on the pin was to great and sheared the pin and down the roof came. Now, it did come down in a somewhat slow manner as the whiffle tree unwound. The last time I saw a shear pin cut loose it took around 15 seconds or so for the top to come down. They since campaigned (recalled) the system and put a sticker on the pup telling the user not to lift the roof while shore power was applied, battery power only, and replaced the shear pins. If one the pins had broke they also repaired what ever need to be repaired from the failure.

What the service manual says to do is to cut 4 2x4's to the length needed to brace the roof in the up position and to unload the cables if the door can not be installed. This will keep the roof in the up position and take the load off the cables.

11. quad80

quad80 New Member

I would rather be safe than sorry, thanks for the insight. I will have something in place before I head out to the Davis Mtn in TX.. The ramps are a bifold two piece ramp. You can find on ebay. I have a wood brace underneath to prevent sag under weight of chair. Heres a few more pics from a couple of weeks ago on Guadalupe River camp. The last one is me fishing with an adapted spinning real. I cannot move my fingers so thank god for Velcro.

12. surfisher7048

surfisher7048 New Member

[:D]Great job,taking our popup out for the 1st time this weekend.We have an old dog and your lift is perfect for her;love to here how you did it

13. eve104

eve104 Ol'Bessie

My name is Eve and Im a nurse at a VA in spinal cord injury center. I have so many veterans that would love to go camping, but think they cant cause of limits on use of campers. If there is any info you could share on how or where you had the mods done I would love to share it with my patients to show that life does not end, it just changes how.

14. jeepjunky

jeepjunky New Member

you are awesome! great job, great skills, and even better attitude. You are a inspiration to us all!
    happy camping

15. campingtwins

campingtwins Upstate NY

Very Very cool!!! :) love it!!

16. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I never considered someone attempting this. Excellent mod. Do you find in general that RV spots are adequately set up for the physically challenged?

Phoodieman

17. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Wtg that the frist for a pop up, in Trailer life they showed mfg that had made a TT for people in wheelchairs i think you pick a good camper for the mod.

18. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

Now THAT is awesome!!! I am currently a nursing student, and I am always interested in learning how people deal with issues in life that are challenging. This is great work and like others have said, I am wondering if any manufacturers have considered building campers with mods like these? I'm sure that there are many people out there who would love to camp but think they can't because of disabilities. Big thumbs up to you!!!

19. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We camp at NPS, BLM, and NFS CG's in AZ, CA, NV and UT. All have sites for those that use wheelchairs. Unfortunately, I have never seen anyone use those sites as intended. I am so glad to learn about a popup camper that wants to enjoy those sites.

20. Selina

Selina New Member

I am interested in doing something similar. DH is paraplegic with a manual wheelchair. This set up looks great. Trying to figure a way to set up some sort door.