My wife destroyed the counter top this weekend

Discussion in 'The Woodshed' started by Jeep Guy, Sep 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

This weekend I took my daughter for a walk in the RV park and left my wife at the camper to rest. While we were gone, my very absent minded wife decided she would fill the sink in our popup with water to soak some utensils to clean them. She turned on the faucet and quickly started doing something else and forgot about the faucet running. Water overflowed out of the sink and started flooding the camper. She realized her screw-up and turned off the water and started drying out the camper. But water from the sink spilled over the edge of the counter where the sink is mounted. There is plastic edging around the counter and the counter is Formica laminate on top of particle board. The particle board soaked up water and swelled up to twice it's normal thickness on the edges. So this fall I will have to build another counter top.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    akriot, rescamilla and kcrouth like this.
  2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

lol. Sorry about that, but at least it gives you the opportunity to make something batter?

AMC, rescamilla, Ductape and 3 others like this.
  3. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

What really pissed me off is that this is the second time this year that my wife has flooded the camper like this. I am going to hide the sink drain plug from now on when we go camping.

I went to Home Depot today to see what my options are. They do not sell Formica laminate by the sheet unfortunately. But I think I have come up with a game plan. They had some nice furniture grade 3/4" plywood that was very smooth. I plan to get a sheet of that and cut it to the size of the damaged counter top and edge it with 3/4" quarter round. Our current counters are a faux tan, brown, and black looking granite pattern Formica. I plan to paint all sides of the new plywood counter with a tan base coat. I then plan to use small sponges to blot on the other colors to closely replicate the Formica pattern. Luckily is it just a random pattern of various colors

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You know what they say. Women, can't live with em...pass the beer nuts. [LOL][LOL][LOL]

Randy Miller, rescamilla and Jeep Guy like this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Was she IN the camper at the time? How in the world can someone not hear/see that in a pop up?

And, if this is the second time, do you think it's intentional? Is she wanting to buy a new camper by any chance?

I'd be camping without my husband in the future if he did that TWICE.

Anyway, good luck with the rebuild and I don't blame you one bit for confiscating the plug. I'm pissed on your behalf.

6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Find a nice oak flooring you like and call it a countertop. Edge it out nicely and it is durable. Stuff comes in packs and you could match the floor and the counter and look classy. Sucks dude. I burned a TT water pump up on the teenagers this last trip. Good and errr….

7. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

I think she turned on the faucet then went outside to site under the camper awning on the patio. The AC was turned on so she did not hear the water spilling out of the sink. No, it was not intentional, she really is extremely absent minded. She had to get one of those little Tile key chain tracking gadgets that help you find your keys or your phone because she literally loses one or the other several times a day every day.

southern gal and Orchid like this.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'm gonna ask: is it possible she has a health reason for her absentmindedness?

Maybe when you redo the counter, you can install an overflow protector in the sink??? Heed the old saying: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. Find a way to prevent it from happening a third time.

9. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

How long does it take to fill a sink in a pup? 30 seconds? Holy cow.

I'd look for a counter top maker that does solid surface stuff and see if they have any scrap pieces big enough to do the job. Most likely you can get it pretty cheap. Only issue is doing the cutting and edges if you don't have the tools for it.

Randy Miller and Jeep Guy like this.
  10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Probably smart to just fix the counter top and not badger the wife about it. Accidents happen.

11. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

This is a little snip of a picture of the counter tops in the camper. I figure I can come somewhat close to this by randomly blotting the colors in the color pallet with some little pieces of sponge. At least that way the the repaired counter will somewhat match the rest of the counters in the camper.

Anyway, it should not be too hard to repair. A 2'x4' sheet of nice finished plywood is $17 at Home Depot and quarter round molding is $5 for an 8' section. I am just more annoyed than anything that her carelessness did this.

[​IMG]

rescamilla likes this.
  12. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

FACT: My wife is better looking than I am. I'm racing in a higher bracket, admittedly.
    My wife burns brakes off cars. It is a magic talent of sorts. I've see her burn a set in 7k miles. My dad said one: "If she rides you like those brakes, just shut up and replace the brakes boy."

She runs semi metallic pads now, so they can burn off easier and I don't buy rotors. Problem semi-solved...

13. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

The existing counter top is 3/4" particle board so I am going to replace it with 3/4" plywood. And before I install it, I am going to give the entire plywood counter, top, bottom, and sides at least two coats of paint to seal it well. I plan to finished the edges with quarter round molding similar to this. [​IMG]

Michael J, Amarada and rescamilla like this.
  14. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

I know. I let her know that she absolutely must be more careful in the camper. I did not fuss to much. I will just fix it and move on to the next dilemma.

rescamilla likes this.
  15. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member

I took mine out and used it as a template to cut one out of exterior grade plywood. I routed a groove around it for the trim to fit in and covered it with very nice pure white FRP (fiber reinforced plastic). FRP comes in a 4x8 sheet so you will have plenty left over for other projects - hee hee. You can get formica laminate by the sheet as well or even stop by a cabinet shop and see if they have a scrap your size for give-me or at least cheap. It is an easy project.

Steveo4090 likes this.
  16. Steveo4090

One thing about plywood is its got soft faces...its going to get the crap dented out of it.

If you got cabinet grade plywood with a denser wood face like oak or maple, it would be a bit better. I'd finish whatever you use with a few coats of poly so it at least has a hard shell to protect it.

You could take the opportunity to do something totally different than the rest of the counters and make it more durable in the process...like butcher block (thinner than normal) or something like that.

rescamilla likes this.
  17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I've never understood why they make cabinets out of particle board. Stuff is heavy for a camper when you are trying to keep weight down. I've never understood why they kept making the crap, after seeing the first sheet get wet. It's just sawdust.

Moving on, I took 2 solid oak stair treads and glued them side to side. Only had to deal with one glue joint, since the treads were already glued. Cut the bull noses off or leave them if you want. I routed my own profile to match the kitchen table.

18. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

This counter is where the stove and sink sit so there is very little space to put things down hard and dent the counter. I do plan to get a nice hardwood finish plywood though, not just a standard sheet of plywood.

This is a picture of the counter top in question before my wife damaged it. [​IMG]

rescamilla likes this.
  19. Steveo4090

Cool. If home depot has that for $17 for a quarter sheet, that sounds like a pretty awesome price. The box store usually charge a small fortune for anything like that. Hope it goes well and turns out to be more "wife proof" than what was there [:D]

rescamilla, Orchid and Jeep Guy like this.
  20. hoverfish

hoverfish Member

Keeping costs down is pretty much the only upside to the stuff.

mostlyok, rescamilla and Jeep Guy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.