My wife destroyed the counter top this weekend

Discussion in 'The Woodshed' started by Jeep Guy, Sep 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Do not criticize your wife in public - its poor form. You job is to support her not knock her over every little thing.

FYI - I rented my boss's 2-storey cabin at Lake Tahoe. Wife and daughter took off on a snowhoe walk. I turned on dryer to warm up pipes - son and I drove to store to get beer. By the time we got back pipes to upstairs vanity had thawed - and the taps had been left open (to allow the system to drain before winter) - we had water damage to the ceiling below and a very embarassed yours truly.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I am struggling not to make jokes here.
    Fix it, chaulk it up to life happens, and move on. No biggie.

3. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Here's a bulge in my MDF cabinets from water damage caused by good intentions.

Read more about it at this link, read the captions below, and forward to the right to see more photos.

[​IMG]

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Cabinets and counters are made with MDF/particle board because the plastic fake wood stickers stick smoothly to them. Laminate also works better on it. It's more stable with less expansion and contraction due to weather effects. It's an excellent substrate for all kinds of veneers...in dry locations.

Caulk around the sink. They never do that for some reason...

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

So is cardboard, but im not going to build cabinites out of it[:D]

6. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Active Member

When I replaced my countertop, I bought a nice piece of solid countertop at the local habitat for humanity store and cut it down to size!

Blackripley likes this.
  7. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Active Member Silver Supporting Member

i just rebuilt our dinette table. neither home depot or lowes (in my area) had formica, but menard's still carries it and will special order less than full sheets, saves bucks. i used baltic birch for the table top, put a slight roundover on the edges, and clear coated the edges and bottom. this was my 1st attempt at laminating formica and i was surprised how easy it is. watching video's of the process on youtube helped a lot.

gonna have to re-do the legs. they are mounted on hinges and my system to lock them in place isn't working out like i hoped.

upload_2020-9-8_20-44-20.png

Rempop likes this.
  8. Luck7s717

Luck7s717 Member

LMAO!

J Starsky likes this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would not classify this post as criticizing your wife in public. He is merely stating how the damage occurred.

Jeep Guy and J Starsky like this.
  10. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Be sure to use marine grade plywood, it'll cost a few bucks more but it will be with it.

Menehune, Blackripley and MOSCDENC like this.
  11. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC Member

To go with what SgtRon said you might want to steer clear on interior grade plywood for use around water, or at the least seal the edges really well with paint. Previous job involved formulating no-added formaldehyde adhesives for the hardwood plywood (HWPW) industry and all the glues used are going to be water sensitive (soy, PVA, UF). HWPW is perhaps not as sensitive as particleboard, but there is a reason they are used only for cabinet boxes and not counter tops.

As for why particleboard is used vs other. 1) Cost... particleboard is essentially made from lumber mill waste and it can be made on a continuous machine so output volume is huge with minimal labor. HWPW is very labor intensive. Aside from the veneering machines they essentially still do it the same way they did it back in the 1930's. 2) Smoothness. As pointed out earlier laminating works/looks better on smooth surfaces. Depending on the grade of plywood you may see "telegraphing" of knots under the thin (1/40") surface veneer. If you were to laminate HWPW the telegraphing would probably look even worse.

FARfetched likes this.
  12. Manutara

Manutara Member

I fully agree, this summer I removed the stove, the plan is to redo the coutertop and install a deeper sink with an overflow drain, I have three young kids, they specialize in keeping the faucet running.

I've been looking for something like this:
    [​IMG]

NHHAPPYCAMPER, Toedtoes and 1380ken like this.
  13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I think I was behind her yesterday. Whoever it was, I think the brake lights blinked off three or four times in town.

ReallDeall70 and J Starsky like this.
  14. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Active Member

I was able to buy laminate by the sheet at Lowes while I was building my house and all the kitchen cabinets. Make your new tops out of cabinet grade plywood. It is supposed to be made with water proof glue.

15. Floridagal

Floridagal Member

Take a look at the Pop up princess (google it). Some beautiful reno’s there and ideas and instructions on how to do it!

16. kcrouth

kcrouth New Member

IMG_7138.JPG

The same thing happened to our outside high-pressure stove board (clamps on to outside of camper) years ago. I replaced it with a piece of 5/8 plywood with MANY coats of urethane on it, making it waterproof. Also, we took the opportunity to "decorate" it with beer and other stickers applied under the urethane coat, making it unique and interesting. (photo attached).

We've had both our sink counter top and also the dining table (when used outside and rained upon) start the swelling process. We plan on re-working the dining table and eventually the sink counter in the same way. It is a bit of a project, but fun with a nice result.

kevin

ps. We renovated the pop-up a few years ago due to significant damage to the subfloor in the corners, and also the storage compartment in front. Replaced all the crappy particle board with treated 3/4" plywood - added a little weight, but it will not be rotting out. Also fixed the leaks that caused the problem. It is like a new camper.

17. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I'm failing to wrap my head around how someone could forget the water is on in a tiny popup sink.

Jeep Guy and Steveo4090 like this.
  18. smilee

smilee New Member

Not related to the reno, but it's possible your wife might have ADD. Help is possible.

Jeep Guy and Douglas Robinson like this.
  19. Souper

Souper New Member

ReallDeall70 likes this.
  20. Souper

Souper New Member

In renovating our 2012 Ranger my husband replaced the counter tops with an old table we had and it vastly improved the look... and quality of the counters. sorry I don't have a picture of the counter with sink and cooktop

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.