My wife destroyed the counter top this weekend

Discussion in 'The Woodshed' started by Jeep Guy, Sep 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

True that! They could spend a few hundred dollars more on better quality materials and have a much better product.

My table broke. I pulled the DW towards me and onto the bed that the table made and thought that it would hold. Doh!. I had some 1/2 inch marine grade ply left over from another project. I cut 2 piece to fit, glued and screwed them together so that the screw would not show on the top. I rounded the edges and painted it with urethane. Damn, it looked good! Nothing looks quite as good as wood. It was far lighter and stronger than the original.

2. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

When manufacturing companies prepare budgets for the next year, they take last year's cost, add 1-3% for raises (merit increases) and tell the engineers to go get savings that will offset the raises.

If the engineers are fresh out of clever savings ideas this year, they cut into quality, offsetting it with something cheap that looks cool and electronic, which customers eat up without looking at the underlying quality. After 10-20 years of cost cutting, it takes a toll on all around quality.

Which is why there are so many on popup portal and youtube to help each other when low quality components need a lot of repairs.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Steveo4090 likes this.
  3. Ed Llorca

Ed Llorca New Member

Make it out of corian or some other waterproof material and add an overflow drain. Otherwise then next time it happens you will regret your choice of going with wood.

4. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are very good at putting lipstick on the piggies. All the consumers see is the surface finishes before they sign on the dotted line. Then they got your money and there's no getting it back without spending even more money and time in court.

Sooner, rather than later, it'll be worth it for someone to do that after they've gone through an accident because of cost cutting measures and someone else is badly injured or worse. But I'm afraid that's what it'll take, along with a lot of media coverage, to get them to change. Their wallets need to be affected 1st.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

That's what it took for the auto industry to change.

Steveo4090 likes this.
  6. akriot

akriot Active Member Silver Supporting Member

AMEN!

Orchid likes this.
  7. JoeW22

JoeW22 New Member

Why don't you coat it with epoxy? It'll be water proof then

8. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

I have seen a vision of the Special Place in Hell for the people who issue those cost-reduction directives. They are given an early-60s Chevy with four flat tires, rusted lug nuts, and a pair of pliers. They are told that "when" they change all four tires, they may drive out of Hell.

tzmartin likes this.
  9. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

On a more serious note: if Mrs. Fetched did that to the Starflyer's countertop, it wouldn't give me the slightest bit of heartburn. I want to replace it anyway. (Actually, I might have done it last weekend, although it was a water spill rather than a sink overflow.)

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

DW did it in our house, destroyed the cabinets. Cheap easy solution is a wash pan a little smaller than the sink sitting in the sink. Put a couple small dowels under it for a gap to drain and leave the drain stopper out. The first time I blew my top and later felt like an @$$. The second time I decided it's time to find a solution to this and so far it hasn't been a problem again. Don't beat her up or down about it, just find a solution that works. Some people are just prone to getting sidetracked, I was bad when I was a kid. Got told a dozen times a day to stop daydreaming. To this day I don't multitask unless it's with things that don't require attention. The DW loves baking cookies, but about 1/3 of them would get burned because she got busy with another task and the timer mounted in the ceiling would go off. Solution was a Google Home mini in the kitchen. Now she simply says "Okay Google XXX minute timer". Can't remember where she had her phone last? "Okay Google call my phone."
    Mom developed dementia and had problems remembering. I stopped saying "Mom I told you this already" because on day she ask if something was done several times and when I said that she started crying. She was so upset that she couldn't remember like she once could.

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Billy, do you have room in your sink for a "sink grid"? Might be more stable than dowels. Apparently they have become trendy in the past several years with new sinks.

I replaced the heavy MDF/laminate table in one camper with a sheet of pine. Not sure what it's called--it's not plywood but solid chunks. If it were a countertop it'd be called face grain plank. It is dentable but super light and with enough polyurethane layers, it's waterproof. I'd have no problem using it as a counter. Corian is too heavy for my popup--there is a lot of counter. But now that I think about it, is it heavier than that MDF?

12. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 Member

Or maybe shes stressed because she lives with a dude who wants to choke her whenever she makes a mistake. Guy’s mad about particle board.... get over it. Really. Worse things have happened.

13. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

It is a saying moron. I would never actually choke my wife. And I am over it, I was just telling the story of how my wife destroyed the counter top. You read too much into things.

Toedtoes likes this.
  14. lot_lizard

lot_lizard New Member

Not a huge fan of faucets with sensors/timers, but that would be where my money would go. Easy to hookup and you never have to worry again regardless of what you replace the top with. I agree with others that a local counter/cabinet shop likely has a scrap this small. All colors are so neutral now that it would be hard to find something that didn’t look reasonable. It’s a pup after all

2F317EF6-7B73-48A5-A390-535E8A985D02.jpeg

15. WisMoxx

WisMoxx New Member

I recently rebuilt our Coleman Mesa from the frame up. For counter tops I used some glued pine boards and stained them. Then put Dinette.jpg 3 coats of polycrylic with some sanding between coats. I removed the sink and stove from the lift up kitchenette, so I figured I wouldn't have to worry about too must moisture.

FARfetched likes this.
  16. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Wow. I hope you never make a mistake in life. I wish I could be perfect. Next time you make a mistake, and you will, I hope you are treated better than you are treating your wife.

McSkippy likes this.
  17. Wink

Wink New Member

Be kind, people. There’s enough hate in the world. ✌️

McSkippy and Toedtoes like this.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I believe the OP was just embellishing the story with mock frustration at his wife.

Paul_A likes this.
  19. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

I, too, interpreted the OP's comments as public beratement of his wife which suggests a lack of respect so critical to a healthy relationship. How the damage occurred was irrelevant. All he had to say was that the counter was flooded with water and expanded so he was looking for options. I'd be curious to know if his wife is so distracted because the responsibility for the bulk of the chores falls to her.

The laminate in my pop-up is peeling up. There's very little countertop exposed; there's just a little around the cook top and the sink.
    I intend to replace the counter with a piece of Swanstone shower wall that I picked up at a Habitat for Humanity re-sale store. It's thin, light, and waterproof without the need for any additional coating.

FARfetched likes this.
  20. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

I'm honestly more concerned about the wife's mental health than I am how she has been portrayed here in an anonymous post where nobody knows the poster or the wife. Turning on the faucet "to wash some utensils" and then somehow getting distracted, deciding to sit outside (when the sink takes maybe 30 seconds to fill to overflowing) while the camper floods, seems beyond the envelope of normal behavior. And this is evidently the second time it's been done. If it's not intentional, there might be some serious things going on. I lost a sister in law to brain tumor/cancer and I saw this stuff first hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.