My wife destroyed the counter top this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Y

Jan 27, 2020
This weekend I took my daughter for a walk in the RV park and left my wife at the camper to rest. While we were gone, my very absent minded wife decided she would fill the sink in our popup with water to soak some utensils to clean them. She turned on the faucet and quickly started doing something else and forgot about the faucet running. Water overflowed out of the sink and started flooding the camper. She realized her screw-up and turned off the water and started drying out the camper. But water from the sink spilled over the edge of the counter where the sink is mounted. There is plastic edging around the counter and the counter is Formica laminate on top of particle board. The particle board soaked up water and swelled up to twice it's normal thickness on the edges. I was ready to choke her. So this fall I will have to build another counter top.
You are an ******* for acting like that with your spouse. She ought to kick your nuts in.

mostlyok

We're Mostly OK!
Jun 5, 2005
Sarasota, Florida
Even higher end trailers have MDF or particle board countertops.

We had our damp-rid container tip over once when moving our Niagara in the driveway and upper cabinet (In folded position) soaked it all up. Nothing you can do will dry that out, we even called Damp-did.:shocked:
We rebuilt the cabinet, got oak veneer to reface and it turned out better than the original, after that we also kept the damp-rid container in a dishpan so it would not happen again.

Jeep Guy

Mar 7, 2018
I, too, interpreted the OP's comments as public beratement of his wife which suggests a lack of respect so critical to a healthy relationship. How the damage occurred was irrelevant. All he had to say was that the counter was flooded with water and expanded so he was looking for options. I'd be curious to know if his wife is so distracted because the responsibility for the bulk of the chores falls to her.

The laminate in my pop-up is peeling up. There's very little countertop exposed; there's just a little around the cook top and the sink.
I intend to replace the counter with a piece of Swanstone shower wall that I picked up at a Habitat for Humanity re-sale store. It's thin, light, and waterproof without the need for any additional coating.

You clearly interpreted my comments incorrectly. I was telling the story of how the counter was damaged. Sorry if you did not like the story of how the counter was actually damaged. Yes, I could have just stated that the camper was flooded, then someone would have asked how it got flooded. So, I just told the whole story, nothing to hide. And no, the "bulk" of responsibilities does not fall on her. In fact, I do nearly everything at home and when we camp. I cook, do the laundry, wash dishes, do 100% of the yard work, do all of the grocery shopping, and maintain the vehicles. When we camp, I do the majority of the set-up. I do all of the cooking and usually all of the clean-up. Sh thought she would help while my daughter and I went for walk and this accident happened.

Jeep Guy

Mar 7, 2018
I'm honestly more concerned about the wife's mental health than I am how she has been portrayed here in an anonymous post where nobody knows the poster or the wife. Turning on the faucet "to wash some utensils" and then somehow getting distracted, deciding to sit outside (when the sink takes maybe 30 seconds to fill to overflowing) while the camper floods, seems beyond the envelope of normal behavior. And this is evidently the second time it's been done. If it's not intentional, there might be some serious things going on. I lost a sister in law to brain tumor/cancer and I saw this stuff first hand.
No, she does not have mental health problems. She is just very absent minded and easily distracted. Last week, she was looking all over for her eye glasses and my daughter was laughing at her because she was wearing them.

Jeep Guy

Mar 7, 2018
Wow. I hope you never make a mistake in life. I wish I could be perfect. Next time you make a mistake, and you will, I hope you are treated better than you are treating your wife.
Do what?? I am not even slightly close to being perfect. In fact I make mistakes all the time. But I usually do not make very careless mistakes over and over. And I did not treat my wife bad. When I said I could have choked her, it is a saying, I did not and would not actually choke her.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Folks, it's an "oops" story. He isn't berating his wife, he isn't embarrassing her. We've all done dumb sh!t like that and been "told on". It didn't ruin our relationships. If it did ruin the relationship, then you had a whole lot more going on that this tale.

Sheesh, if I got upset everytime someone told about one of my oops, I would be a hermit. My Mom would have been even more so - she's the only person I know who actually set a pot of water of fire.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Folks, it's an "oops" story. He isn't berating his wife, he isn't embarrassing her. We've all done dumb sh!t like that and been "told on". It didn't ruin our relationships. If it did ruin the relationship, then you had a whole lot more going on that this tale.

Sheesh, if I got upset everytime someone told about one of my oops, I would be a hermit. My Mom would have been even more so - she's the only person I know who actually set a pot of water of fire.

Agree 100%

And none of us know "Jeep Guy"'s real name, nor his wife. How could this be "pubic shaming"?

Jeep Guy

Mar 7, 2018

Thanks. You are exactly right. I was just telling the story of what my wife did and what damage it did to the camper. Nobody was yelled at or beat up. I was simply telling the story of what happened. Jees. I will not be posting on here much more. In fact, if a moderator reads this, please just delete this entire thread.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Thanks. You are exactly right. I was just telling the story of what my wife did and what damage it did to the camper. Nobody was yelled at or beat up. I was simply telling the story of what happened. Jees. I will not be posting on here much more. In fact, if a moderator reads this, please just delete this entire thread.

Jeep Guy don't leave. This happens a lot on forums. Most often it's simply due to a poster's own mood when they read a thread. If their mood is off, they see offense/issues with the post where there really isn't any. I think everyone has done it - myself included. Just ignore it and continue to be a part of the forum. It will blow over when this thread dies a natural death as they all do.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
she's the only person I know who actually set a pot of water of fire.
One of the boys called me to help with something just as I put a pot of water and hotdogs on the stove. Sometime later I smelled something, I burned the hotdogs I was boiling. To make matters worse DW walked in the front door asking what's burning just as I was taking the pot off the stove.
I think the majority knows what you were saying. Don't let people's comments bother you. Everyone make oops and many of those oops frustrate others and we've all been frustrated by the oops of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.