My wife's perspective is delaying our Pop Up aquisition...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by dbhost, Feb 25, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So the scoop is, we have a 2004 F150 4x4, with an about to be completed freshened and upgraded 5.4L V8 (Updated cam phasers, timing set, and Melling High Volume oil pump to fix the known weak points of this engine. I am fixing my old truck because, well I can't afford a new 1 ton truck.

We have on offer for barter, a mid 90s Coleman Pop up that is in overall good condition and can get us out camping right now.

Problem...

My wife dreams of a beautiful rolling house, a fifth wheel toy hauler even though the only toys we have to haul are canoes and bicycles, and there are only the two of us...

I know she is going to have to give in somewhat on her desire for a rolling Taj Majal for various reasons, not the least of which is we can't afford it. And secondly, I don't want to haul a monstrosity of an RV all over the place.

I am just not sure at what point wisdom would dictate I hold my line as it were. If we wait for her dream to come true, we will never get out and do anything, but if we go with a less than approach, I fear she is going to end up resentful and we might as well have stayed put and not done anything...

Even if we skip on the Coleman, and go with something different, what is a good intermediate point?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Are you looking for camping or marital advice?

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

A small hybrid is a good intermediate if you can't make her like the popup.

Women understand things like budgets and tow capabilities. You should not be "holding your line". You should be drawing one together.

CarlaCB, wusthof and kitphantom like this.
  4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

We are trying to draw said line together, Just trying to figue out how to get her to stay focused on budget and usage difficulty issues (I really do NOT want to tow a huge trailer). The biggest I am comfortable with is a 30'.

Part of the issue is that we go to the RV shows and dealers to get ideas, and she likes big roomy spaces... (She had me get a 10x20 3 room tent for the 2 of us years ago)... I have gotten her happy with a 10x12 single room tent with a 75" center height. We have been slammed in by nasty rainstorms before though.

Sorry about the way my initial post came out, not stating my concern well enough. Just trying to figure out how to best address concerns of each of us...

Prior experience camping for me includes LOTS of tent camping, including backpacking and canoe tripping. My RV experience includes me owning a VW Westfalia, and using it nearly to death in college, and family RVs, over the years...

Her camping experience has been tent camping with me, and truck camper camping with her parents as a kid, and a rented pop up with me as an adult...

The rental pop up worked but wasn't a huge success. The concern was the same as tenting...

In 2006 we went on a camping trip (tent) to central Texas during spring break, and got heavily whacked by a violent thunderstorm that ran us out of the tent and into the cab of our truck for safety sake in the overnight hours.

Part of her hesitation on the pop up is the experiences we have had in tents in relation to storms. I think she would be far more comfortable with a hard sided camper. An Aliner would be awesome but we get back to that space thing...

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Sit down together and discuss the pros and cons of the different types of trailers.

You've identified some. Others include: storage, ability to camp at preferred campgrounds, insurance costs.

As it sounds like she doesn't want soft-sided, you might look at small hard sided trailers with a slide out.

LucythePUP and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

A smaller couple's travel trailer like the Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS we owned for 6 yrs. Everything bigger rigs have but in a smaller easier to tow, easier to park package. Some do well in a popup but you both have to want to camp in one and be willing to live with some of the drawbacks. Doesn't sound to me like your wife is a candidate.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YTZrWHhLU0VrOWFnakV4el9jMXJodi1ISVItaGFR

xxxapache likes this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Start by making a couple lists.. one set for you one set for her.. call the lists "must have", "Be nice to have"' and "deal breakers" .. Once you both have completed the 3 lists start comparing them and come to an agreement (compremise) on what goes onto the new "combined lists" titled the same way..

Just by reading so far I would suggest looking at "couples" travel trailers or "couples" tow haulers, these are smaller then a family unit and 5'er, most sit in the 20-28ft range (that is box length, doesnt include tongue length) and offer decent room for two persons.. Some also offer a pull out couch option for overnight guests ..

neighbormike likes this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

A small TT is what we have , a Coleman CTS 16 FB and we love it, just right for 2 people, easy to tow, really easy to set up and take down and has all the comforts we need. I have a ladder rack mounted on my Pickup from HF and this hauls the yaks or canoe. But the ultimate decision on what to get will be between the two of you as the two of you will have to pay for it and also live in the same house & camper. I agree that ya'll should sit down and get serious about what to get before you get serious about looking and budget. Good Luck and I hope ya'll get things settled shortly.

neighbormike likes this.
  9. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Maybe a compromise you could look in to is a high-wall pop up. We just got one last fall and it really is a nice upgrade from our previous standard-issue 10 foot PUP we had before. It's bigger, yes. But also has MUCH nicer amenities. A great kitchen area with a 2 bowl sink, propane stove and oven, and counter space. We can easily make and eat a meal inside, which really wasn't feasible in our old PUP. And we have the hard-sided bathroom. Even the bunk ends are easier because the canvas is permanently attached to the bunkends and the support poles are on hinges under the beds, just lever them down in to their positions. I would say that parking and hooking up our high-wall takes about 5 minutes more than a travel trailer. (I know because before we bought this one we rented a travel trailer to see how we'd like it). We decided we liked the amenities of that TT we rented, but liked the spacious feeling of a PUP. So a HW was a good compromise!

Nani2 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ill agree qith the others make a list , pros and cons. Then figure out the money. I would love a high wall camper, but my buget and the market( none available at my price) had to be considered. I did find a nice pop up, it holds up well in winds ( you can also tie them down a bit if you prefere) with everything you could need. Ac, heat, shower , chem potty, etc. Its big for 2 people, smaller with a kid. Its all how much you'll use it vs the cost to do so.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My mom is very much like your wife. We started out with a popup as all they had to tow with was the station wagon and minivan when the wagon got killed because the popup was too heavy for it. Later when she convinced dad she wanted a truck so got a truck with a tow rating of 5000 she instantly wanted a huge TT. However the RV sales guy told her it wasn't enough vehicle for what she wanted . A year later they buy a new SUV with 7000 tow rating. Sure enough the next day they are at the RV store to buy the 30' RV. Well turns out the salesman lied and there vehicle could not pull it safely. Dad turned around and sold it back to RV place the same day. Mom finally started listening to dad and not the salesman and setteled on a 25' TT although they can pull it dad hates to drive it. He does not feel comfortable so they don't go out in it. It now lives at a campground where they can camp when they wish to and it doesn't ever leave the campground. Even though she got what she wanted in material it didn't give her what she really envisioned. She pictured dad and her traveling, seeing new places, making new friends. She really admired my ability to do exactly what she wanted to do with my popup but I started opening her eyes more and she is finally leaning leaning away from the huge units and more to the smaller ones again. Sadly it took a whole lot of money to get her to that point.
    Essentially what my story is leaning towards is don't do what my dad did. Get your wife involved in the whole research process. Show her the budget, teach her the importance of payload, involve her in all the research you do, put a wants and needs list together. Show her the pros and cons of each trailer. Teach her to not listen to what the RV people say but concentrate on what your own eyes tell you and your research shows you. Really talk with her to find what exactly she really wants to get out of camping, what she feels she would be comfortable in, what kind of campground she really likes. Show her that a lot of the big units are very limited in space and she may not be able to camp at her favorite places.

Sjm9911, neighbormike and Toedtoes like this.
  12. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if you do not think you should buy a new truck then you should probably not buy a truck AND a 5th wheel toy hauler, PLUS some toys to go inside. ;)

So, unless you both want to wait until you are on track to a comfortable retirement and have an extra 6 figures or so lying around, I suggest spending some quality time with a spreadsheet to demonstrate how long it will take to achieve that dream to your wife. That way it can be a data driven decision, not an emotional one, where you are the bad guy.

(However, if it turns out that she has been keeping secret the fact that she is independently wealthy, then I say just go for it, let her buy whatever the heck she wants, quit your jobs, travel the country, and start a blog so you can tell everyone else how easy it is, like some other couples out there... ;) )

Back to reality... I understand her wanting hard sides. We had canvas for years and my wife eventually tired of it.

Many of the smaller hard sided 'couples trailers' out there with slide, queen bed, full bath, kitchen, couch, etc., are under 30' in total length and should be within the capabilities of your truck. With practice, you can probably get used to towing it comfortably. Some a very nice and your wife might actually like them if she realizes the 5th wheel thing is not going to happen right now.

A plus to staying under 30' is that you can fit into most state park sites. Once you get over 30' in total length you begin to become too large for some sites, especially in the smaller parks on the east coast.

We just spent over 3 weeks in our 21' (25' total length) travel trailer. For us it is fine for that amount of time. We've already planned next year's winter trip to be around 5 weeks. If/when we get to the point we're spending 3 months at a time in it, we'll probably be in a small 5th wheel - that is still about 30' in total length since we're on the east coast (less boondocking) and really prefer state parks of private campgrounds.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Oh, those RV shows are terrrrrrrible for trying to keep things reasonable.

There are a few of the smaller hardside trailers that are bigger than an Aframe. We really liked the Microminnies by Winnebago when we were looking. The build quality is nice and many of the "upgrade" things are included. Narrow for easier towing. Decent tanks.

15. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

There is much to think about when considering changes is camping styles. Most are things you all ready know. What kind of camping do you like? Where are you going to use it? What are you comfortable handling? How much time will you actually spend in the unit? Are you wanting to be a hardcore user or show others what you have? Just rhetorical questions? One thing you might consider is a "Mini RV show". Let her & you see units owned by real people (friends) and discuss pros and cons. The DW may be more willing to rethink her short term and long term desires. I would be happy to do it for you, but it's about 530 miles from League City, TX to Lake Carl Blackwell in OK.

16. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Mind you. I absolutely LOVE pop ups, they are great little campers, but I am starting to think that maybe they aren't going to work long term for us...

I am at the half century mark, and my wife still has a strangling amount of student loan debt, and hasn't been able to find a job in the last 4 months, my pay keeps going DOWN (long story) to the point I am very close to jumping ship entirely and hanging my own shingle just so I can afford to retire before I'm dead.

A king bed has been something she has her heart set on, and that is a problem. Most campers you are lucky to get a queen in...

The boondocking we have done, has been on beaches, up in the Guadalupe Mountains etc... Not too much lakeside stuff...

The big thing is going to be when we retire, I want something we can drag from Texas, to Jalisco, and up to British Columbia. (Family everywhere) and of course places in between. By that time we will have bought a newer, heavier duty truck, and will likely end up with a shorther fifth wheel. The big issue is whatever camper we get, is going to HAVE to be able to tolerate bad roads... So from my perspective, bigger is worse...

17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Next time we go see my Brother in OKC I'll give you guys a call!

We've got some friends, the ones wanting to do the barter for the pop up, that have an older, but very nice late 90s diesel pusher class A. We are fixing a roof damage leak that took place on a trip of theirs to the east coast to see her folks. The had a tree branch clobber them that they didn't initially think caused a problem, but did... Fiberglass roof we redid, and I am redoing their front TV cabinet, the one over the driver / front passenger compartment. Water damage, and changing out the VCR / CRT TV for a flat screen and wifi / cellular rig.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

The importance of payload is what is lost on her. Also the difficulty of manuvering a large vehicle is none of her concern as she says. (Since I will be driving it, she HATES driving and makes me do it...)

I mean from my perspective, my ideal would still require a bigger truck as I want a big enough truck camper, with a king bed, a bench instead of a dinette, a usable kitchen, and a bathroom. In a half ton truck, I can get everything but the bathroom... :-(, and the space is awfully confining for foul weather, so I get it...

Her dad had a 30' rear bunkhouse trailer that would have almost worked, but the family was forced to sell it when he passed...

Heck, a HiLo or TralManor would be great if they had king bunk ends... That would address both of our concerns. I think...

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

20. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

TrailManor 3124 series floorplans show a king bed.

https://www.trailmanor.com/product-line/3124-series

Rear glide trailers that were a rage back in the mid 2000s often also offered a king bed, KZ Spree and Keystone Outback being the most common. One of the few models that survives to this day is the Jayco X213 which also offers a king bed.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2019-jay-feather/x213/