My wife's perspective is delaying our Pop Up aquisition...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by dbhost, Feb 25, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I wonder who in Texas sells those. The 3124KS looks like it might fit the bill..

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Map on TrailManor website says Texas Choice Outdoors in Bridgeport, TX.

https://www.trailmanor.com/dealers

dbhost likes this.
  3. GreyFox

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Okay so I just looked up TrailManor trialers for sale. New, WAY out of the price range. literally $45,000.00! However 2015 and 2016 models seem to average around $13K. MUCH better... Might just have to keep an eye out for one in the 10K range...

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have looked at a couple Trailmanors before. Neat trailer, and you can find older ones pretty reasonably priced. For a couple years they actually made one with a pop out and hybrid bunks too! You could also look at a used Hi-Lo as well.

You need to sit down together and really hash out what you want, what you think you will use it for, and how much you can realistically afford. Then you should gut $1k off that figure so you have some room for needed repairs or equipment that you may need to get. Almost every used trailer I have looked at needed new tires, and once you go up in size the cost of tires goes up too, especially when you have a tandem axle involved.

I love my pup, but it is only used by my son and I. My wife has zero desire to use it, and neither one of us like crawling over someone to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. However - my pup is one of the few that has dual king beds (70x80) and I love them. When I bought mine it was for the express purpose of using during the summer while my son went to a camp in Austin. Over the years we have used it for merit badge trips and weekend trips, but never as a family.

My wife has significantly warmed to a hybrid with a murphy bed, best of both worlds. That is on our short list to get, maybe next year if our finances support it. I would love to use one as a family, although our use is more as a rolling hotel room. We don't camp to get away from people or hang out by a fire, hike, etc. For us it is to visit other cities, go to museums, scenic byways, etc. I would go alone to a state park for the weekend to just get away and recharge, but I always feel guilty leaving the family like that so I don't do it. I generally get enough camping in through my involvement with my sons scout troop.

I had to save up for a couple years before I could afford a cheap used 20 year old camper. It has been fun, but I do wish we could enjoy it together. On the other hand, I bring too much stuff on my own, and adding a 3rd person into the mix would make packing/unpacking a huge chore. I am not, never have been, and likely never will be a minimalist camper, and neither is my wife, so it results in a lot of creature comforts. I am rapidly approaching that half century mark as well, and my days of being a pup owner are numbered as well.

Best of luck.

FARfetched likes this.
  6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Good questions and good thoughts to share with my lovely bride...

My wife likes camping by, or better yet, on the beach. She wants room for extended family and friends (hence the desire for a huge fifth wheel), and all the luxuries of home.

I like beach camping, but rather prefer the woods, the friends we camp with have their own rigs, and involving most of the extended family in a camping trip will get law enforcement involved. I'd rather avoid it. Her and her siblings need some distance for civility sake. We can stay at the same campground for example, but we need our own space. I sure as heck don't want them in the same camper with us! Her younger brother and his girlfriend okay, but the older siblings and her almost always end up fighting over all sorts of dumb stuff... As often as they would be going, a rental would be fine...

Honestly part of her wanting a fifth wheel is we haven't been able to have kids, and I think she is stil holding on to that dream somewhat. She's got some medical issues that prevented it. We can still adopt, but if we do, we better hurry!

Now tow rating on my truck is 9,600lbs, and I want to not work it to death.

I looked around, hadn't considered Keystone's outback line. The Outback Ultra-Lite 210URS seems to have a more or less ideal layout. Compact, hard sided, assuming there is a solid countertop sink cover, pretty usable kitchen, light enough for the truck to handle it easily, and roomy enough when expanded for us, and a couple of potential guests... The price tag is a bit more than I like, but they have been on the market since '17 so used will be easier to do in about 3 years... Perhaps I can swing her to the pop up long enough to get enough scratch together to go with something like that...?

neighbormike likes this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We have owned an Outback 21RS for almost 10 years now and love it.. its just DW, 2 dogs and myself these days for the most part.. but we do have the ability and have squeezed 5 adults into it for a weekend...

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

A neighbor of ours has one, not sure the model, but it is one that has the solid box slide out bedroom over a couch. It's got enough sleepage space for 4 adults and 2 kids which is way more than I will need... Theirs was what got me liking Keystone travel trailers.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Do not buy a trailer to accommodate guests. This will end up being a HUGE mistake. As you mentioned, personality conflicts will arise and there is no way to escape it. Even with a big 5er, it will be too tight for multiple couples. If friends/family want to go camping with you, then let them get their own rig or tent.

Even with a big rig with multiple "rooms", there is no privacy. Everything said between couples will be heard by the other couple.

Buy a camper that fits for you and your wife. If you plan on adopting, consider a hybrid so that you have room for the kids without having to buy a new camper. Or look at a bunkhouse model - you can use the bunks for storage until you need the extra beds.

The last time I had someone stay in my clipper with me, she took two 3-hour naps each and every day. As it was raining a lot of the time, this meant I was stuck inside trying to be quiet and not wake her up. It was extremely stressful and I have not shared my space with anyone since.

PointyCamper and neighbormike like this.
  10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

My current pup has two kings. If you’re willing to look at somewhat older pups, you can find king beds...

11. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Even King beds in an RV aren't like bedroom Kings. If living space is a major factor, you want something with a slideout. They make the difference of feeling like you're in an apartment instead of a tunnel. In pups, they take up much of your storage space. My daughter and I both have 22 ft Hybrids and she says the slide makes mine seem twice as big. When my son and out at 18 degrees, we turtled in and stayed toasty. Of course, we were only using the trailer to eat & sleep. Loaded for 2 weeks camping my hybrid is right at 5k pounds, 22 ft long towing.

dbhost likes this.
  12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Just looked up that model, they seem to have been made for quite a while, as far back as 2004... There are a couple somewhat close to me (one in Louisiana, one in the DFW area) that are in the more affordable range One is at $8,900.00, another is $8,600.00.

One question I have though, what size is the slide out bed? Some schematics show it a full 78x80 king bed, some show it a 78x78 short king, some show it a 60x80 qeen bed, and still some show it a 60x76 RV short queen. Very confusing...

I can live with a short king, or even a standard queen, but a short queen not so much...

13. GreyFox

When rear glide trailers first came to market from K-Z Spree, Keystone Outback, and Jayco the rear glide bed was queen size, the intention being that 2 adults would sleep laterally as one would sleep in a popup or hybrid. Enough complaints about the person sleeping on the outer side of the bed having to climb over their partner to get out of bed led these manufacturers to eventually change the design of these trailers so the rear glide would be closer to a true king size bed. This transition obviously took time so in the used market one will find these bed size variations. FWIW we ourselves almost bought a K-Z Spree 210RS but eventually settled on a Spree 240BH-LX with a conventional front queen walk around bed and FAR more storage than any rear glide trailer we had looked at.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

That is why we decided to hone in on murphy bed trailers. Crawling over someone in the middle of the night to pee is no bueno for us. The TT with a dedicated bedroom were mostly too large for us (anything over 27' stem to stern will have to parked offsite and have a storage charge). I am willing to deal with a queen that folds up to get more living area during the day rather than hybrid bunks and crawling over.

15. GreyFox

We too also considered a Rockwood with a front Murphy bed but ultimately chose a conventional front walk around queen bed and a HUGE front pass through storage compartment. That front Murphy bed didn't allow for anywhere near the storage than did the similarly sized Freedom Express 192RBS.

16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I’m 6 years until the mid century point with 10 years of pups and hybrid. I use current pup for off grid couples trips in the woods. Chill out listen to Sirius radio, go for hike, and chill out by fire. In bed by 8pm lol. Listen to creatures in the woods. We both sleep soundly with tent flaps down hanging out in nature. You don’t do that with a pup in campground. Showers outside come inside to heated pup. Get dressed and hop onto bed, couch or dinette.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Our 21RS has a Queen bed.. If you look on the forum "outbackers" folks have done mods to turn them into king beds with head at the rear and feet pointed towards the front. I am 6'2" and I can fit into the "short" queen with about an inch or two to spare..

Think it was around the 2010 mark or so that they went with a king bed slide-out.. Jayco and Shamrock both had a model very similar...

18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I'm 6' flat but pretty big, and I like huge fluffy pillows.... A short queen is doable, but I tend to have my toes over the edge...

Will look into outbackers, I'm not wedded to the concept of a pop up per se, but I want a trailer that can expand to give me more space, and contract to give me better mobility / easier handling down the road and through campgrounds...

19. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

That’s a hybrid

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Nope hard slide .. its a TT..