My zero floor space laundry hamper mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by rslaback, Apr 26, 2016.

1. rslaback

rslaback Member

Like most families, our family of 5 can feel cramped in our pop up. To help save space I've completed the pantry mod and bunk end shelves. We don't need a cooler or grocery bags in the camper and we pack in duffel bags which are stowed under a seat once the clothes are on the bunk shelves. That said, we never had a good place to put dirty clothes. We have a pop up style hamper which packs away fine but once it gets clothes in it, it is always in the way.

So, I created a solution.

I started with 3 - (it's a big family) 30"x40" canvas laundry bags that I bought on eBay, 4 - 1 1/2" drain test plugs, 4 1/4" cable clamps, 4 5/16" coupler nuts and some 3/8" grommets.

[​IMG]

Step one was to disassemble the test plugs.

[​IMG]

You will only need the large washer and the carriage bolt.

[​IMG]

Next the cable clamps were disassembled.

[​IMG]

The cable clamps were taken to the garage and the threaded portion was cut off 1 leg of each. The edges were filed down and then the test plug parts, the coupler nuts and the cable clamp hooks were assembled like so.

[​IMG]

Next it was time to put some grommets in the laundry bags. It should be noted that some of the bag options I looked at already had grommets installed in them. For the placement of my grommets I measured the width of the flat bag. In my case this was 29".

[​IMG]

After dividing that by 4 I placed a grommet 7.25" from the fold and then 14.5" from there. This spaced the grommets all at 14.5" and made it so that the hem of the bag would be in the middle of 2 grommets instead of at a corner. All of your measurements may vary based on your bag dimensions.

[​IMG]

To check the spacing of the hooks I drilled what I assumed would be my layout into some cardboard with a 1 1/2" hole saw. The holes will fit the washers only on the flat, allowing the carriage bolt head to fall down into the bunk end. It turned out that the spacing that worked best for me was a 14" square.

[​IMG]

Next it was outside to the camper. I picked the front bunk, left side to install my hamper. I'd have preferred to put it in the back bunk but with the false wall for the electrical converter and the spare tire it would've had to be about half way back on the bed before there was clearance. Working underneath the bunk I laid out my 14" square keeping in mind the bracing of the bunk end and the front edge of the camper as well as keeping it as far inward as possible to not get rain runoff on it. I began drilling the holes up from the bottom to transfer the locations and then finished from the top.

[​IMG]

Then I dropped the hook assemblies in and tested the fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Satisfied that was a good fit, I marked a 12x12" square on the top of the bunk, leaving enough wood for the washers to hold well. That was cut out with a circular saw with drop cuts which I finished with my jigsaw, leaving the center piece for a plug.

[​IMG]

Next I made some strips out of 1/4" plywood 2 1/4" wide that I glued under the opening so that there was a 1/2" ledge inside the hole to hold the plug. The holes got drilled back out from the top with the holesaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plug got a hole drilled in the front middle to make a lid and provide support for when the bunk is being used for sleeping.

[​IMG]

Fully installed the laundry bag is undetectable from the inside of the camper. . .

[​IMG]

. . .but still easily accessible each morning and evening.

[​IMG]

It isn't the prettiest thing from the front but I decided function was more important than the view for our fellow campers as they pass by.

[​IMG]

When the camper is packed up the hooks will pop back out of the holes and the bags will fold and tuck away. The multiple bags will allow us to camp for a good length of trip without running out of space.

2. Redbird

Redbird Member

Very clever! :) I don't think it looks unsightly at all, actually. The bag doesn't show what's inside, so I think you're good.

I'm wondering if there is a way you can waterproof the wood around the edge of the hole you made as it is now a moisture access point on humid or rainy days. I would also be careful about tossing clothes or dish rags with food stains on them in there as those might attract gnawing critters. [;)]

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Maybe I can move my toilet under the bunkhead... heh. [8D]

4. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

How cool is that!! We usually put our dirty clothes back in the suitcase which we keep under the popup. This idea is wonderful!! Congrats on a great mod!

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Great idea, SO HANDY! I know the DW would love it but I'm just not sure I could bring myself to cut a 14" hole in the bunk. Or could I.... Hmmm...

6. Abuela-PopPop

Abuela-PopPop New Member

Great idea! Looks great

7. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

That is a fantastic mod!!! I usually hang a laundry bag off of the top of the bunk. Gets in the way though. Might have to do this one. Why didn't you put it on the bunk end opposite the hitch?

Phoodieman

8. rslaback

rslaback Member

My Jayco has an 8" dead space between the back wall in the camper and the actual back of the camper. The bunk braces in the back are wide enough the hamper would have to go in the middle. That means I would have to account for the spare tire too. That puts the opening front about 2' from the interior end wall. I thought that might be obnoxious to have to lift that much mattress. There were a couple other issues. There is a center strip that a roller rides on that would have to be avoided as well and I'd also have to take our bike rack completely out of the rear hitch whereas now I just pull a pin and it pivots down.

9. rslaback

rslaback Member

Switch the bag to a garbage bag and you wouldn't even need your toilet. [}:)]

10. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

Well, aren't you clever? The creativity that's found on this website never fails to amaze and astonish me. Nice work.

11. paw

paw New Member

Toilet bag at one end and laundry bag at the other end. Just don't forget which is which. Else the household laundry person is going to be pissed. [:(O]

12. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

Do you have a post about the other storage modification you mentioned? Could never have enough storage!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. rslaback

rslaback Member

This reply was a long time coming. My main 3 storage mods other than this are my bunk end shelves, my coat rack and my pantry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Love the coat rack mod! Simple and functional! [8D]

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

That's a cool mod!

I have a different approach... wear the same clothes over and over for that camping experience. [LOL]

It got me to thinking I could make better use of the pass through to the front storage compartment though for dirty clothes. So, your mod might spawn my mod.

Good job!

16. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

That is very clever.

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is potentially the most ingenious mod I've ever seen. I don't think it looks bad from the outside either. I think it looks nice and neat. Passerby campers may wonder how you are getting things into the bag.

Too bad I am not a hole driller/cutter. I am terrified of destroying something. We just set up a small tent that we use for a changing room. We keep all the clothing in there as well as laundry baskets for dirty clothes.

I actually had the shelving mods in my last PUP, nearly identical to yours. I may have to steal your coat rack mod though. We live in FL, but still need jackets at times. :)

18. 61cubby

61cubby New Member

Found a square laundry basket at Walmart that fits great under one of the dinette benches during our stay and goes into the TV when packing up for home.