Myrtle beach state park drinking water quality?

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Dominator, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Dominator

Dominator New Member

Quick question for anyone who has been to myrtle beach state park campground. How is the drinking water? We are coming from CT and I am not sure if I should carry the extra weight if 26 gallons of water. I prefer not to, but would hate to get there and have bad tasting or smelly water. Just curious if anyone has thoughts, or any other insight into that park
    Thanks

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

We've there twice in the past year. I carry 3 gallons of our well water (in an Igloo water cooler) for coffee, hot chocolate, etc. Also carry 15 gallons in the fresh water tank for road breaks and if needed for the tow vehicle. We did use the campground hookup water for showers and do not recall the sulfur smell of years ago. It's one of the wife's favorite parks. That and Huntington Beach State Park.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Dominator likes this.
  3. Dominator

Dominator New Member

That’s great, thanks for the info. Maybe I will do just that, carry 15 gallons just in case. if I screw up the coffee nobody will be happy.
    This will be our first time there, so I am really looking forward to it. Hope we love it as much as your wife does.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

There is a Food Lion directly across the road and a Walmart Neighborhood Market a mile or two in either direction. Buy a giant case or two of cheap bottled water when you get there if you think the water wont be of your liking.

I have drank water all over the Grand Strand for 40+ years. It is what I would call soft compared to the water where I live. When it's cold it is less noticeable than when it is room temp.

Dominator likes this.
  5. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We have camped almost ever year at MBSP and the water is great if you put a water filter in-line on the hose.

say hi to the nature centre rangers Ann and Michaela for me

6. Dominator

Dominator New Member

7. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Close enough

the drive isn’t too bad so long as you find a way of making it feel like part of the vacation instead of a chore.

We could do the drive to there in 16(ish) hours but it usually takes about 21 with all the stops. But when we get there, we aren’t tired.

I do often arrive the day before checkin and stay at a hotel nearby. Check in and set up fresh.

8. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I usually just stop by the local wally world - but 5 gallons goes by quick in the summer. (and thats just for eating and drinking). I'll usually refill from the spigots, but nowadays I'll purify it before using. who knows who had what touching those spigots

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We have learned to use the campground water for washing and buy bottle water for drinking. We camped there years ago, but I don't recall an odor.

10. Dominator

Dominator New Member

I am glad to say there was no odor, or any bad taste. We were able to drink the water just fine. As I mentioned above, I do have a filter system on the water line, but we had no issues with the water. Thanks everyone for the comments.
    The campground was a great place to stay. Bathrooms were clean, park had a lot of people but it was quiet, and the best part was the 2 minute walk to the beach.

xxxapache likes this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Wind must have been from a different direction. When we stayed there the passenger jets started taking off at daybreak every morning. That wouldn't be so bad if not for the huge crowd (at least a dozen on each site) on the three sites across from us the partied and played music right up to or just past quiet time in a language I do speak.

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Just got back from MB... and no issues with the water. But like others, We buy a few gallons from the store for coffee and cooking.