Myrtle Beach State Park Oct. 18-21, 2013

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by speckhunter80, Oct 21, 2013.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Well first I had posted this review in November of 2012 after doing a drive thru of the park.

We went to Myrtle Beach SP and drove around the CG. It really was a tale of the good, the almost good and the bad and ugly. Could be a VERY nice place to camp if you get the right campsite. So here are the sites the DW and I feel are the right sites. These are based on size for our Coleman Bayside Elite and privacy/distance from the neighboring campsite. The good: 174, 189, 198, 204, 239, 241, 245, 312, 324, 326, 327, and 333. The almost good: 155, 171, 304 and 323. The bad and ugly would be any site on circles 1, 2, 3 or 4.

So this weekend my wife and I actually stayed at MBSP. As such I have new insight for anyone wanting to stay there. My choices of good sites have not changed and we stayed in 312. Unfortunately the best sites are located the closest to Hwy. 17 so there is traffic noise but you get used to it. What is hard to get used to is the almost constant LOUD plane noise from 0700 to 1800. Also on this weekend the park was 98% full. The back(best) loop has only 2 showers in each male/female bathhouse for about 45 sites. When the park isn't full it is a pretty good place to stay. Sunday night it was only maybe 40% full and these for the most part were long time campers that were staying there 2 weeks to several months. A good number of Canadians spending their winter at MBSP. Camp during the week and you will love it, weekends not so much.

Our site had 50, 30 and two 20 amp circuits. It also had a permanent water connection, fire ring and table. Buying firewood was never mentioned nor was any ban on bringing firewood as we did. There is a camp store which we did not go in, laundry, ocean fishing pier(you don't need a license), nature center and lots of beach. Myrtle Beach has great family activities in it and the surrounding communities. A favorite for us is Brookgreen Garden which is about 11 miles south of MBSP across the road from Huntington Beach State Park.

landon6062 likes this.
  2. OnTheEdisto

OnTheEdisto New Member

We just got back from Myrtle Beach State Park. This has to be the noisiest park we have ever camped at. Between the airplane noise, the helicopter noise, and the road noise, the only time you could hear the ocean was at 3am. It was also more like an RV park than a campground. The spaces are really close together. We were the only pup in the park, most were huge rv buses. This was not a relaxing trip at all.

We're big SC State Park fans but not of this park. The best thing I can say about this park is the bathrooms are really nice: newish and clean.

landon6062 likes this.
  3. Ebisaki

Ebisaki Member

When visiting Myrtle Beach we stay at Huntington Beach SP. Much nicer, less noise, worth the drive.

landon6062 likes this.
  4. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Okay, speckhunter I followed your lead and booked site 312 at Myrtle Beach State Park for the first week in August. For the past three years we have gone to Huntington Beach State Park but the two DSs wanted to fish off the pier this year. We stayed at MB State Park last in 2010.

5. speckhunter80

Don't say I didn't warn you about the NOISE!

6. cma7777

cma7777 Member

I understand. We have been there before.

7. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Thanks again speckhunter80. We just returned from space 312 at Myrtle Beach State Park. We were in our new to us htt and had the best time! It truly is a great park but will probably return to Huntington Beach State Park next year.

8. speckhunter80

We are going to have to put up a plaque on that site. There are other good ones. We are going to Huntington Beach in October this year instead of MBSP

landon6062 likes this.
  9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Tent camped there Labor Day weekend 2017. Will not make that mistake again. It's a nice park with maintained facilities. It was packed and I have no idea why they have a limit on people per site because it isn't enforced at all. I can understand bending the rules for a family with more than two kids, but the three sites across from us had at least fifty people combined. Forget getting a shower unless you wait until midnight or get up before the partyers across the way. May give it another try someday during the week and not on a holiday.

10. speckhunter80

Huntington Beach SP is much nicer

11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Well that was some great information .. thanks guys...

That just doesn't sound like it would be for me, good to know a head of time.

... WOW about 50 people across from you BillyMac.. some enforcement of rules would have been nice, huh. That would have been the end of my camping trip right there and I doubt I would come back.. ugg

It sure would be nice if "when they know they are going to be busy", IE labor day....for them to designate the areas in some form or fashion..... like "SINGLE and FAMILIES and Parties".. lol yeah I know, it is all about the money, and that would take a lot of staff, I suppose..

Perhaps you guys don't mind offering some information on Hunting Beach since you seem to prefer that camping area?

OH I did want to put this in as a suggestion, for you SCarolina travelers.. : )

"IF" you spend much time eating out...

TRY the "FLAMINGO" at the BEACH" north end, ,around 72 north... IF you really LIKE PRIME RIB, they have the best on the BEACH.. Suggestion, try it "blackened"

Before we bought our PUP, we stayed in Long Bay, and Passed that FLAMINGO GILL many time over our 10 years of traveling there.. We looked up reviews for the best Prime RIB at MB and found out the "FLAMINGO" had the best rating.. WHO would have thought a "grill" with a big GIANT FLAMINGO out front would have had the best PRIME RIB in the area, and atmosphere is awesome too.. (it really isn't like a bar, it is a RESTAURANT"

12. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

29BC46B5-1663-4F30-B9C6-C1010E72090F.jpeg 3794DA68-FB5B-4AB4-A6C5-4AF048C940A0.jpeg 29BC46B5-1663-4F30-B9C6-C1010E72090F.jpeg I camp at mbsp every year. The nature program makes it and we have had lots of great experiences.