Myrtle Beach Veteran's weekend

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by speckhunter80, Nov 12, 2012.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

DW and I went to MB this weekend. Was gonna take the camper but she could not get Friday off and did not want to take two vehicles, so we stayed in a motel. BTW, the rates are unbelievable this time of year. Also, never camped down there so wanted to scout CGs first which is the point of this post.

We went to Myrtle Beach SP and drove around the CG. It really was a tale of the good, the almost good and the bad and ugly. Could be a VERY nice place to camp if you get the right campsite. So here are the sites the DW and I feel are the right sites. These are based on size for our Coleman Bayside Elite and privacy/distance from the neighboring campsite. The good: 174, 189, 198, 204, 239, 241, 245, 312, 324, 326, 327, and 333. The almost good: 155, 171, 304 and 323. The bad and ugly would be any site on circles 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Next we visited Huntington Beach SP. Again it looks like a really nice place to stay especially being across the road from Brookgreen Gardens which is just an awesome place and also only a few miles from one of the greatest BBQ restaurants in the world HOGHEAVEN BBQ just south of Pawley's Island. This campground was like the tale of two cities. The interior sites are all open, fairly close together but most importantly there is no vegetation. You are constantly on display. So based on the same criteria I have already mentioned here are our preferred sites: 1,6,13,15, 21, 23, 31, 71, 103, 105, 106, 107, 112, 114, 115, 119, 121, 123, 124, 125, 127, 128, 132 and 133. If you look at the map you will immediately notice that we did not like any interior sites except for site 6.

We may, dependent upon weather and the Black Friday deals; take the camper down the day after Thanksgiving.

2. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Thanks for the post, the effort to provide this info is appreciated.

3. jjkach

jjkach New Member

My brother and his family went to Myrtle Beach and camped over the w/e! Really enjoyed it.

4. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I think we were in site 16 of MBSP. I was surprised how close the sites were. Their pics of the sites on the website were deceiving. But we came in around 7pm on Sat night. When we were getting ready to walk to the beach after breakfast most everyone else was packing up. Checkout time is noon.

Since we hadn't been there before our criteria were close to the beach with hookups. $27/night with elec & water.

5. mnebinger

Oh, and how did you like paying the entrance fee just to look around? I wanted to drive down and check out HBSP but the cost (almost $20 for my family of 4) just to enter the park dissuaded me. Luckily you don't pay that fee if you are camping there.

Next time we may camp at HBSP, so I appreciate you giving out the "good" site numbers there.

6. speckhunter80

Did not pay an entrance fee at either CG. Explained to them what we were doing and asked for a map. Told them we would be back out in 15-20 minutes. No problem. Very friendly folks.

FYI, for the most part what we considered to be "good" sites are the sites furthest from the beach at both parks.

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We were allowed to drive thru MBSP for a free visit, just explained what we were doing and had no problem.

8. mnebinger

I put this on another MBSP thread, but feel its important enough to repeat. MBSP is very close to the int'l airport. You will have jets taking off or landing almost right over your heads.

9. speckhunter80

10. NanaNPots

NanaNPots Member

we have camped at Myrtle Beach SP for the past seven thanksgiving weekends - go in on Tuesday before Thanksgiving and leave on Sunday afterwards. We love it. it is almost like a family reunion cuz so many folks come every year in the same sites. We just made our reservations for next Thanksgiving. We also go there most Memorial Day weekends. we also camp at Huntington Beach each year for our anniversary in March, and go down to Hunting Island for Christmas break.
    which is a wonderful time to go. South Carolina has wonderful state parks along the ocean - the only one we aren't in love with is Edisto.