Mystery battery/wire connection - what is it and do we need it?

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by MIlover, Sep 2, 2015.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

Hello all,

My husband replaced the pup battery this evening, and discovered that the electrical wasn't working. Upon closer inspection, he found that the wires were connected to the mystery part below, which was in really poor shape. He took it off and brought it inside to clean up, only to have parts of the connectors fall apart. He says he can re-wire without it, but is wondering what it is, and whether we need it?

Thank you!!

*Disclaimer* Sorry I am not better describing what wires were going where, but DH is upstairs with our screaming toddler while I type this (oh the joys of bedtime), so he's not in a position to clarify at the moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Main fuse. Yes.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

4. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thank you, good Portal people! So we should be able to pick this up an an AutoZone or similar store then?

5. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Yes any auto parts house will have them.

6. R00

R00 Active Member

Upgrade:

[​IMG]

7. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

A link to the part mfg/part # and or a source of supply would be far more helpful than a photo of a mystery part.

In any case, I don't think too many applications need a 100 amp fuse/breaker.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Along those lines, MIlover somewhere on your original part it tells what amperage of a self resetting circuit breaker that is.
    Tell you Hubby to try and get one the same size, be it a 15A, 20A or 30A. They will have a selection at Autozone. They are in the same electrical section with the fuses and wire connectors.

9. R00

R00 Active Member

The part # is on it, and its readily available in most auto parts stores, ironically in the same spot as that circuit breaker.

Oh, and they make them in more than just 100 ampere ratings.

Exercise your google-fu!

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

So what's the smallest rated version, I can find 50A but that is way too much for the dealer installed wire to the battery or the wire on the back of the power center?

11. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks Hoosier Daddy. Unfortunately, the amp rating is completely worn off, so we aren't sure of the size. Does anyone else know what it should be on our '08 Utah? Will it matter if he just buys a 30A?

Thank you all!

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Hi MI

I posted the coleman/fleetwood parts book for your utah, here it is again, see page 30, item 7 or 8.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37743407/COLEMAN%20PARTS%20BOOK/2008/2008%20Americana%20parts%20book.pdf

If your wire is 10 gauge you could go with 30A but it came with 15 from the factory.

13. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

The breaker should be sized based on the wire size. 30 A breaker is good for 10 AWG wire, 20 A for 12 AWG, 15 A for 14 AWG. See if there's some marking on the side of the wire. Be sure to check as much of the length as you can as it's normally repeated once a meter.

Still, the wire may not say. If that's the case, I will sometimes size wire using wire strippers, but this is only good if you're redoing the terminals on the wire that connect to the breaker. The type of wire strippers that I would use to gauge the wire look similar to this:

[​IMG]

14. MIlover

MIlover Member

There is a lot more to this then we thought. Thanks! I am quite certain the wiring and fuse is factory original, so it looks lime we need the 15A.

15. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Unfortunately, R00 added a bit of complication unneeded for your situation. Replace it with the same size (amp rating) breaker and do not worry about it.

16. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

As bupkis said, that is a circuit breaker with auto-reset.
    It's very important to understand that this type of circuit breaker must be used on any lines coming from the tow vehicle and any lines going from the battery to the brake breakaway switch (if equipped). This type of breaker will reset itself so you will not permanently lose your lights or brakes when towing.
    Circuit breakers such as the one posted by ROO are a great upgrade but should only be used on any lines different than driving lights and/or brakes (if equipped).

17. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

What is the brand and model of the converter? If the converter has a 25 amp output you will regularly be tripping a 15 amp breaker when trying to charge the battery.

18. rabird

rabird Howdy!

19. MIlover

MIlover Member

Well, we are on the road now. DH looked at the wiring and turns out it was marked 10 guage, so he went with a 30 amp circuit breaker. Everything seems to be working correctly, so hopefully we did okay?

Thanks again for the feedback.We just wanted a quick, safe and proper repair so we can camp!

20. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Happy camping. [:)C]