Mystery red wire

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by MabelJ, Jul 24, 2016.

1. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Running along the lower edge of the canvas behind the fridge cabinet.
    Following it along, it just leads to a screw on the outside.
    What is this for ?

Attached Files:

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Looks like a roof height gauge. When the roof is at the correct height the cable which is fastened to the roof should not have any slack in it. Over raising the roof will pull the screws out. It is there to help you know when to stop raising the roof.

3. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Ah, so there should be a similar screw outside somewhere at the top?
    So what's the protocol ... detach it and leave it in when not in use? Is that a good resting place for it ? So long as it can be pulled out without impediment from the outside and reattached just before raising?

I'll have to check and make sure it's tucked down enough that the bed sliding in doesn't mangle it.

4. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

The screw for the top end is on the inside of the roof on the outside of the canvas (Between both)
    Normally the wire is left connected and it is just a matter of making sure it does not get caught up when raising or lowering.
    Sometimes if the roof is raised to high, a screw will get pulled out either top or bottom. (Someone not watching the wire).
    You should see where the top screw was screwed. Get a new one (Larger gauge if necessary) and put it in and leave it in permanently. (Untlll the next time it gets pulled out anyway)

5. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Ah thank you - my husband told me my idea made no sense.
    Now I get to say "you were right, dear" and he will be one happy camper tonight [;)] [}:)]

6. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

[LOL]Please to help keep everyone happy.
    Hope your next trip goes well for the whole family.

(Just a side note. This is exactly how our camper came. To put the wire back on I actually raised it to the correct position and I installed it in a new hole beside the old one as it must have happened a few times and the old screw hole was huge.)