Mystery Switch on 2011 Rockwood Premier 1904

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by MandoCamper, Jul 22, 2013.

1. MandoCamper

MandoCamper Member

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the purpose of a green switch located in the entryway of my Rockwood 1904. The User Manual is of no help with this one.

The switch is located directly below the CD player/radio unit. It lights up when switched on. It is NOT the water pump switch; nor is it the switch to control the overhead lights.

The camper is new to us, and we have only done driveway camping so far...so I am thinking that the purpose of this switch may become clearer as we try to operate the other systems in the camper (such as water heater, furnace, etc.).

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!!!

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Porch light?

(Deflector screen? phaser control? Oil slick? [:D])

3. MandoCamper

MandoCamper Member

NOT the porch light...but good guess!

Do I detect a Trekkie, friartuck?

4. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

here's my guess, is it a cut off switch to the stereo? So there isn't a constant draw off your battery if your not on shore power.

Try shutting it off and turn on the stereo If nothing happens there's your answer......if not that i;m with other poster that's its a step light..or porch light

5. raspivey

raspivey New Member

Do you have LED floor lighting on that model?

6. MandoCamper

MandoCamper Member

No floor lighting, to my knowledge...but I will look more closely for it.

I will also check out a potential cutoff to the stereo....

7. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Does that model have a front storage bin? If so, it could be the light switch for it.

8. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Correct me, someone, but I have yet to see any of the switches used by OEMs to be lighted other than an electric water heater element switch. And not a green one for sure in my travels.

This sounds like a previous owner doing something on their own. Maybe it is a refrigerator fan mod or likewise. If you turn it on, do you hear a very slight noise from the external refrigerator vents or feel a slight bit of air moving out of the top one?

Look behind the cabinet wall and see if you can trace down the wire destination to at least point you at something.

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Step light switch. Look under the edge of your camper below the door opening when the entrance step is down

10. MandoCamper

MandoCamper Member

Bondebond, I am pretty sure the Previous Owner did nothing in terms of mods.

Mercman, I do have a front storage bin, so will look for a light in there.

Speckhunter, I am particularly intrigued by your suggestion...I have only tried the switch in daylight, so would not have noticed a light under the steps.

Can't wait to get home and check out these suggestions. Will report back tonight.

11. friartuck

So it could be a phaser control . . . [:D] (no, noTrekies here. Move along, move along.)

12. mercman

or a cloaking device....

Rockwoods do not have a understep light so my money is on the storage bin light.

13. raspivey

raspivey New Member

Based on the location, I'm leaning towards floor lighting. The High Walls have it and the one I looked at had the switch located in that general area. I THINK some of the Premiers had the option as well. They're only an inch or so long and not extremely bright, so they might not be visible during daylight. I don't remember a lighted rocker switch though. Storage lighting may very well be what it is.

14. MandoCamper

MandoCamper Member

Well, so far none of these suggestions have panned out. When into the camper last night, activated the switch, and saw no lights whatsoever. I poked around with a flashlight under the stairs and didn't see any light fixtures. While I can't fully access the storage compartment with the camper opened, I can look into the storage area...and no light was to be seen.

Not a radio shutoff, not floor lighting.....

So I have a crazy idea...this switch is pretty bright when illuminated. Could it be a night light???? (or maybe it IS an OEM cloaking device, after all....)

15. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

It's possible it goes nowhere now. Perhaps it is abandoned. I suspect it is aftermarket. Otherwise some would be popping up telling what it is. Can you trace the wires?

16. mercman

A picture might help, does it look OEM? If there is a light in the storage bin it needs to be activated by a door mounted pressure switch or a seperate light switch located somewhere. I know that Fleetwoods had a illuminated switch for there storage compartment, so you knew it was on and not draining the battery by mistake.

Of course, it could be a switch tied into the time space continuim and you probably don't want to keep turning it on and off... just in case [:D]

17. MandoCamper

MandoCamper Member

18. MandoCamper

MandoCamper Member

19. friartuck

Oh myyyy! The Daleks are coming! The Daleks are coming!

(I still like the cloaking device switch. It's working so well you can't see what it's cloaking! )

20. mercman

Hmmm... I'm at a lost, how about calling a dealer and ask the service dept. what it controls. Me thinks it is not factory, are the wires the same as the rest of the wiring in the unit.

Definitely not a cloaking device...