NADA pricing.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Aladin Sane, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Does anyone else find the prices on the NADA site to be unrealistically low? I look at what pups are selling for in my area, and it seems that they are always much higher than what the NADA site says the average retail price should be.

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Yep. According to NADA I could spend $1k and have 3 or 4 nice pups. [?:~{]

3. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

NADA does admit that prices west of the Mississippi tend to be higher although their prices are now supposed to be adjusted to reflect that since they ask for your zip code the 1st time you use them. Might also depend on what age PUPs you're looking at. I actually think NADA tends to be high on the newer stuff. Finally, time of year may be pertinent. Up North, there's a significant swing between late Fall/early Winter pricing vs. late winter/early Spring.

4. LauraLieTx

LauraLieTx Member

Yep!! I agree Nada and all the one's I looked at had blue book values way lower than the pups here in Texas were selling for!! The sellers would of laughed me off their property if I would of offered Nadas price!!! lol Also was just looking on Craigs list today to see if Fall has made the prices drop but I did not see any kind of drop in price here in DFW Tx area. Well Happy Camping [CP]

5. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

NADA is only an estimate. The selling price will be what a buyer is willing to pay (or overpay). Selling prices tend to be higher in the spring as people are eager to buy a PUP and go camping. If the fall the tide turns and the buyers are not so eager and the sellers want cash. Also, the price of gas is making people want a smaller lighter camper and the economy is making people buy used when in better times they would buy new.

6. gec66

gec66 Active Member

As hard as I shopped a year ago the best deal I could find on a pristine pup was $400 over NADA. I got $1,600 for my average condition 1994 Jayco this spring when the NADA said $470. Near as I can tell you are on your own without much help from NADA. Doesn't stop you from using it to negotiate until you run into someone like me though!

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

How does NADA obtain all sale prices? If it is DMV, people submit lower numbers to reduce sales tax.

8. gec66

gec66 Active Member

I believe it is dealer reported prices.

9. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

gec66 Thanks. I wonder if there is some extrapolation of prices amongst models.

10. gec66

gec66 Active Member

I doubt it. On automobiles the pricing is updated every other week, where as RV's and other lower volume items may only be updated once a year giving them plenty of samples to average from. I don't know for sure, but I would bet many of the option prices are depreciated on a schedule. Another factor could be that the nicest units never see the dealers lot, at least based on the shopping I have done. Especially units 5+ years old. The used pups I have seen at dealers they would have to pay me to drag them away!

11. Aladin Sane

I have not looked on a dealers lot for used pup prices. My experience is with classified adds and craigslist. With that in mind, I find the NADA prices to be absurdly low. My nephew just bought a 2000 coachman. The seller wanted $2700. They negotiated down to $2000. I thought it was a fair price. NADA says the price should have been below $1500. The only pups I ever see that are below $1500 are complete basket cases.

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Two things to keep in mind here:

1) "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
    2) "a object is only worth as much as the buyer is willing to pay for it".

NADA pricing is a rough "guestimate" and subject to scrutiny, especially in tough economic times.

[2C]

13. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

In my neck of the woods, I've found that NADA pricing does NOT even remotely reflect the actual market....zip code input or not.

When we were shopping for our p'up, anything that was priced at NADA for average was a steaming pile of pooh. The first p'up we made an offer on, I offered the guy $500 over NADA for average, taking into account the p'up was in better than average condition.....he just looked at me and told me that we were both wasting our time, and he didn't even counter offer. He basically took it as I was not seriously interested in purchasing the p'up.

As we continued to shop, I kept a spread sheet of p'ups that we made inquiries on....most of which had already sold off of CL by the time we called (literally a day or two of the original posting). I would inquire of the seller as to what they actually sold the p'up for and on average it was between $1,000 and $1,500 above NADA for average.

The flip side to it is that many a seller has an "attachment" value in their pricing....i.e. they're very attached to the p'up and have over valued it based upon that attachment. The p'up that we ended up getting had a NADA for average of $4,000....the seller wanted $6,500 ($2.5K over NADA)....he definitely had an "attachment" value here. The p'up was really in excellent condition, but it did need a few things done to it...new tires, new roof vent cover, and a few other odds and ends that I pointed out to him. Because he was somewhat blinded by his attachment to the p'up and the many fond family camping memories it stood for, he just wasn't seeing the flaws that existed. I ended up getting him down to $5,200 when it was all said and done and felt like that was right in line with what I had been seeing on my spreadsheet.

14. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Prices inflate in direct proportion to the level of emotional attachment. You, sir are spot on!
    [​IMG]

15. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

I bought a 2002 Coleman Cheyenne in June of 2009 in very good to excellent condition. the ABS roof was and remains perfect. The NADA figures as of today are:

Low retail $ 2550
    Avg. retail $ 3070

I paid $2500 2 years ago. So NADA is not always absurdly low. I think the demand has gone up in the last few years and NADA is not keeping up with it.

16. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

It sure was nice to have that low-price NADA printout when I negotiated the price I paid for my old Coachmen PUP a few years back. I may feel different if I ever sell it. Still, by then it won't have many miles left in it, so the book value wouldn't matter much.

17. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

Today's NADA on my camper is between $500-$600 ...I paid $1K for it about 3 years ago. I guess I didn't do too bad then.

18. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

My real life story is that current NADA pricing is low retail of $6105 and high retail of $7350. PUP was in almost LN condition. I paid $6500 2 years ago and this was at a dealership, not private party. I'd say they were high in this instance.

19. Aladin Sane

I think their numbers are much closer reality when we are talking about a camper that is less than five years old.

20. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

NADA's "low retail" on our Jayco is $455, which isn't much but we still got a deal ($50)

As on houses, "curb appeal" is a huge factor.
    PUP before roof sideboard replacement:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like a steaming pile, yep.

But nothing else was wrong with it. And the seller was highly motivated since he was moving.

Negative curb appeal + negative emotional attachment = way below NADA