National Park Fees to Increase at Certain Parks

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by f5moab, Oct 25, 2017.

1. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Yellowstone & Grand Teton entrance fees could more than double

http://www.localnews8.com/news/kifi-breaking-news/yellowstone-grand-teton-entrance-fees-could-more-than-double/645000449

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Not surprised, everything going up except my retirement check.

3. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Active Member

While of course I don't relish the idea of paying more; I understand that some of these more popular parks are being loved to death. I rather pay more and keep them in good shape for future generations to enjoy as well.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It seems to be a sliding increase, for the heaviest visitation times. Since the parks on the list are at times packed, maybe it will help spread it out. Trying to keep up with the wear and tear of all those people, as well as provide shuttles, trash, water (i.e. Grand Canyon and the failing pipeline in dire need of replacement) is also an issue.
    We have bought the annual pass for years, and there seems to be no suggestion of a surcharge for the busy season. I now have my Senior Pass, ditto. (We'll be buying the annual one until DH qualifies for the Senior one, at least most years, since we may enter parks separately.)

5. larryinseattle

larryinseattle New Member

These fees will limit poor families ability to visit our National Parks.

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

if you get a yearly pass, it is $80. You will just see a transition to more people buying yearly passes. In the grand scheme of things, it is still cheap. For those over 62, one time fee of $80, more than before, but still a fantastic deal. When you think about the amount of $ spent on other stuff, I would consider the yearly pass a pretty good deal. What I would like to see addressed is more of a unification of camping fees at the various parks. $X per certain amenities and have it be fairly consistent across the NP system. Due to the fact that different parks have different concessionaires, there is what I would consider a decent price variation across the system for camping fees.

7. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

If it is a sliding rate increase for the busy season, than no.

It’s still a hell of a lot cheaper than Disney World.

Or we could raise taxes and start some kind of vacation welfare program. Or we can become communists. Then everyone can go to NP’s and no one will try to better themselves.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that national parks should be free or have a small fee. While $80 might be trivial compared to vacation costs, it is just one more high cost. I have a family of five. Prices are ridiculous to do anything, red sox games , patriot games and bruins cost a fortune. It cost $300 for my family to take a train to the top of Mt Washington. Lift tickets for skiing are almost $100. Takes money to have fun nowadays.

9. larryinseattle

larryinseattle New Member

Are you saying "Poor families deserve to be left out?"

So compassionate.

By the way, I am over 62 and have a disabled pass, so I am not talking about my own concern.

10. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I fixed it for you. :grin:

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Travel, lodging, food, ice and many other cost limit most from ever attempting.

I've always thought the fee should be based on weight!

12. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

In a perfect world the parks would be free to enter and totally supported by tax dollars. In case you aren't aware, only 127 of the 409 National Parks charge an entrance fee. Even the ones that do charge an entrance fee are free 10 days per year. Don't forget an annual pass is $80 and there are also discount passes available. The pass is for the carload, not per person.

Unfortunately NPS funding has fallen steadily and there is a backlog of over 12 billion dollars of deferred maintenance. The most recent budget proposal calls for more NPS cuts.

I work as a NPS volunteer and have seen the effects of the cuts. Our medical staff has to operate with old and outdated equipment. Due to expense we do not carry epinephrine or naloxone which even many police departments carry. Trails and buildings are deteriorating because the money for maintenance isn't available.

Some of the most used parks have the highest fees as a way to control access as well as raise money. Out of the entrance fee, 80 percent stays in the park itself and 20 percent goes the the NPS budget. Many of the heaviest used parks have severe overcrowding issues.

Call your congressman and tell them to increase the budget for the National Parks.

Daisy on my toe and JHOP like this.
  13. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Thanks for the information and for volunteering for our parks.

Daisy on my toe likes this.
  14. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Nope
    I’m saying I believe you are wrong.
    There are many factors that go into a vacation. I don’t believe that the entrance fee will be the deciding factor for most people.

On a personal level, I use the parks. I would like to see more funding for them, and responsible spending. I also realize that there is no such thing as free. Somebody, Somewhere is paying for it.

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Charging higher prices to reduce over crowding just means keeping the riff raff out. If the parks are going to charge money then maybe they should have no tax payer money.

16. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Another idea the Parks Service is thinking of doing is to make it where you have have make reservations. Not just for camping but to get into the park. This would be for Parks like Yellowstone. The thought here is to alleviate crowding.

17. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

That would be a pain with Yellowstone for people like me who use it as a route from ID to Cody WY.:eek: A lot of people use it like I do, and the NE entrance/Exit is kept open year round to allow access to Cooke City MT. I know about a half dozen people who purchase yearly passes just to drive through Yellowstone and never stop to use the amenities (other than the roads).

However, I'm betting the reservations for entrance will only happen at parks that are not used as a pass through like Arches; Canyonlands, etc.

As for the price, I believe any recreation should be paid for by those who use it. I believe the NPS already receives over 2 billion a year in tax payer funds allocated by the US treasury. I purchased a yearly pass for almost every year that I was physically in the USA (15 years approx) and when I could I jumped on the senior pass. So with a senior pass in my wallet, I sure cannot complain and won't.:D But If I didn't have a senior pass, I would still be opting for a standard yearly pass.

18. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Joy and I just purchased our Senior Lifetime passes this year, before the price jump!

19. Goldens

Goldens Member

Boy am I'm glad I visited most of them in the '90s. They were a zoo then so can only imagine what they are like now.

20. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

What a Croc...... $80 to drive around and try to find a place to park?