Natural Bridge?

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by JbirdsChick, Aug 25, 2012.

1. JbirdsChick

JbirdsChick One Big Bird, his Chick, and 2 Hatchlings

Looking for a nice campground close to the park with water and electric and a playground.

I was thinking about http://www.nbcabins.com/campground.php , but I didn't see a playground.

I've heard that Middle Fork is nice, and Whittleton is ok. Those are actually part of the state park, but no one I have spoken to has been there recently. I don't know if they have a playground either.

Looking to go there in October on the kids fall break. Some suggestions and feedback much appreciated. I haven't been there since I was a child so I'm sure things have changed some.

2. familyx

familyx New Member

Our preference is whittleton. However there is not a playground there. Sites are not too close and some back up to a little creek. We prefer one of those sites. Never stayed at middle fork, too many sites and not enough trees for me. Koomer Ridge in the Red River Gorge is a nice campground but only 3 sites have electric and water is at central locations, not at each site. No playground there either. I think there is a playground within the state park at the picnic area.

3. RogerandKathy

RogerandKathy New Member

We too are looking to Camp in mid Oct in the Natural Bridge area, It has been quite a chore to find some place, I think we are going to try Cave Run Lake, It is close to Natural Bridge and a few other places we want to see.

4. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

That looks like an awesome campgrounds. I know some people like shade, but I love how everything looks clean and manicured. Would definitely like to spend some time there one day.

5. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Long ago topic but I have to add for future reference.

natural Bridge is a nice park, what's better is Red River Gorge right across the highway. Some of the best hiking in the state bar none. Great place I have primitive camped many times before.

This is a place overlooked often, which makes the hikes great.

6. RogerandKathy

RogerandKathy New Member

[:D] Headed out to Middle Fork @ Natural Bridge next week.

7. Richard Sellers

Richard Sellers Member

I recently stayed at Callies Lake and Campground near Stanton. That's just about 15 minutes away from Natural Bridge and the Gorge. Very nice. A variety of sites. Some shady, some open. Some full hookups, some partial hookups, some primative. Very reasonable pricing. Owners are very cordial and helpful. They have weekend bluegrass stage music but that was canceled during Covid. I've heard during the weekends things get a little noisy, but without the music, things were very quiet lately. Google them for their website.