NC campgrounds near Virginia border?

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by msl1570, May 23, 2010.

1. msl1570

msl1570 The Lindsays

Hi all,

We are in Charlottesville, Va., and always looking for new CGs to explore. Anyone have some good ones near the Virginia line to try out for a family of four with an 8 yr old and a 5 yr old? Let me know. Thanks!

2. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

It's North of the border, but it's only about 15 minutes to Moyock, NC.
    http://www.chesapeake.va.us/services/depart/park-rec/nwrp/index.shtml

We've stayed there twice. Once in a tent, once in a popup, both times on Scout family camps.

3. andleton

andleton "Happy Campers"

North Bend park on Kerr lake is wonderful.Probably about a two hour drive for you.Check out my posts for pictures.Cost is$20 a nite for electric and water $15 without.You can make reservations at
    https://www.recreation.gov
    We had reservations for april,may,june,july,sept,oct.we really love this place as you can tell.New showerhouses just added and large sites.Like I said check out my posts for pictures.All the pictures were taken there.Any questions and I will be glad to help.By the way,Angie and I spent our honeymoon at your home town and visited Motecello. greg

4. msl1570

msl1570 The Lindsays

Andleton,

Thanks for the tip. I didn't see any link to pics, though. I will check it out for sure. Hope you enjoyed your time here in Charlottesville. As I said, we have been here about 3 years and absolutely love it.

5. andleton

andleton "Happy Campers"

Below are some of the areas that you can see some of the pictures of the CG....

Let me tell you about my trip (Before/After) / Mother's Day weekend, NorthBend Park...

Let me tell you about my trip (Before/After) / Pictures from a weekend of camping at Kerr Lake!!!

General Camping Forum / Re: Camping....why do we do it?

Let me tell you about my trip (Before/After) / Camping trip Sept.09... Please sure some pictures of your camping trips....

6. nuthouseinva

nuthouseinva Portsmouth, Virginia

Here's a link to my "Virginia Places to Camp" map. Hope it helps you find some spots.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102904861893629049908.0004602bf1319b50e1cf9&ll=37.657732,-78.640137&spn=4.322037,9.876709&t=h&z=7

7. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hi,

Goose Point on Phillpott Lake is still in Virginia, but is a really nice campground. We go to a 'local' state park, Hanging Rock SP near Danbury, NC on a regular basis. There are no hookups, but its a great 'getaway' from darn near anything!!

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

There are actually a few camping around Philpott Lake. I've not gone to Goose Point yet, nor Fairystone Park, but I have done much camping at Salt House Branch. There's even an island in the lake where you can canoe/boat over and dry camp! The sites are more open, but there are a few that give you some nice shady trees. A creek runs thru it, there are two boat launches, two swimming areas, 2 new bath houses, a newly renovated dump station and some great tent sites. Some of those you can get a pup into, but it would be dry camping of course. Built in fire pits are great.

Site pictures can be seen on ReserveAmerica.com.
    [:D]

9. bassmaster1163

bassmaster1163 New Member

we have several here in mount airy n.c

10. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Meant to add, bassmaster, if you Google "state parks in VA", then fill in Corp of Engineer parks, you'll get lists of them all! If you want water, Smith Mountain Lake has a HUGE park...you have to drive to swim or canoe, etc. Philpott Lake though, has like 5-6 places on it to camp. Did I already say that?? Deja vu moment. [LOL]

Also, check out the Campground Reviews section on here...might find that jewel you're looking for.

Good luck!!

[:D]

11. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Fairystone is very nice and an interesting place.
    PATMD